My scrub:

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kat in the hat, Nov 18, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I wanted to lay off the scrub bucks this year. Today was the last day that I would be able to hunt, so I dropped the hammer on this one. Didn't want to go home empty handed for the season.

One shot to the shoulder at 100 yds. with a .300 mag. He crumbled in his tracks, twitched his tail a couple of times, and expired immediately.

Maybe I'll get the biggun next year. I know where he's been living now, if he doesn't get shot before then.

Attached Files:

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great job!! I bet that will be some nice table fair!!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats,Matt. looks like some tender eatin.

4. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Hey they can't all be trophys,but thats not a little guy either.You brought home some good helpings of venison.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    congrats on the tender vitals.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    scrub buck...big buck....they all taste the same, you'll just have less bone to dust off.

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yup, just got done scarfing down a plate full of country fried straps, with taters and gravy. Pretty darn yummy. Sheila does a real good job cookin' it up. (Thank you!:roll_eyes:) Coltan even had seconds! He almost never wants to eat what we eat, but seems to love the venison.

Got all my jerky meat, roasts, and stew meat cut up, and bagged. A little grinding, and I'll be done for the night.

Don't know yet if I'm up to the doe season in January. I pretty much hate cold weather, but if we're running low by then, I may have to go bust another'n.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good job! That's a nice deer. Fire up the grill!

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    The way I look at it is you can't eat the horns. I am after meat first and foremost. If it has some nice antlers thats just an added bonus. Congrats on the freezer filler.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Them forked horns make really nice curtain rods if your wife is into such. The wind here in southern missouri has wreaked havok since season started. Thanks and if ya get bored come help me cut up meat. They said they wanted the doe shot and i been doing my part.

11. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Nice deer Matt.It will be some good eating.

12. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    congrats to ya , no sense in lett'n a tag go waste.

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    GRRRRR!:angry: The blade to my grinder is missing! Hope I can find one to borrow tomorrow. I'm really looking foreward to making some sausage SOON, and don't wanna have to freeze it first. I've been saving fat at work just for that purpose too.

Thanx for y'alls replies. It's a youngun, but I'm still excited because I didn't go hunting last year, year before I got a lazy streak, and let everything walk. Also was itching to test the ".300 Mag overkill" myth. Results were awesome. Entrance wound the size of my pinky, exit wound the size of my thumb, and a puddle of blood pudding in the chest cavity. No other blood except for the portion of lung that shot out of his mouth. I actually hit a tad farther foreward than intended, and struck the shoulder bone, and missed the heart, but it still fell dead instantly. Maybe 1/4 of a pound of meat destroyed. I hate tracking a wounded deer. This one, we drove up to where it lay, dressed it out in about 5 minutes. Gravy train.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice clean looking deer Matt. That 1st pic. is picture perfect of that deers condition. Thanks

15. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Meat in the freezer, can't beat that. Nice looking deer. Thanks for sharing Matt.