My Rods

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I have had many setups over the years and i think that the ones I have now are awesome. I use two Swede stainless steel rods that measure about 32 inches long with fifty pound spiderwire. I always get made fun of, but these rods make it fun to wrestle these cats in.

Anyone else use short rods?

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    can't say that I do. My shortest is 7'6".

3. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    wow I have never seen a rod that short can you post a pic?

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have used many different types and lengths of rods. After much testing, have decided that I prefer the longer rods to fight in the large predators. I use 8, 9, and 10 ' rods. I'm even looking into a 14'+ soon. The longer rods make longer casts possible, and I need to be able to reach the sweet spots in the river channel from the bank. However , If I was fishing from a boat, I would surely use much shorter rods.:wink:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    post pics of the rods please thanks

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    My rods all run around 9' to 11'.

7. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I only use 6' boat rods for my rigs.

8. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have for 7 footers (2 med & 2 mh) for cats. Like to see your short ones though. How far can you cast with such a short rod?

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I rod that short does not give you much leverage for landing a large fish. If you are forced to use your reel to bring them in that's real tough on the gears. If you are not fishing for large fish then that setup would be OK, kind of like ice fishing I guess. I would like to see a picture also. What kind of reels do you use?

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my shortest cat rod is 8 feet.i use up to 12,i need to make long casts.
    plus,the extra leverage is sweet.i would say you might get a little tired wrestling a big one in with that short of a pole??

11. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I USE 7-12 FOOTERS FOR MOST STIUATIONS. WITH THE SHORT ROD YOU WONT BE ABLE TO CAST TOO FAR OR GET A HARD HOOKSET EITHER. I WOULD IMAGINE FROM A BOAT FISHING STRAIGHT DOWN SHORT RODS WOULD WORK FINE. I GET PLENTY OF SHORT ROD ACTION IN THE WINTER.:wink::wink::wink::wink:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting info about your rods!!

13. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Sometimes its not what you want its what you can afford. I have 2 Ugly
    Sticks and 5 Bass Pro Trophy Class power plus rods all 7 to 8 ft. heavy act.
    Sometime I might have one tear my stuff up but they have preformed well
    so far.

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shorter rods give you more fighting leverage, longer rods are great for casting, but you loose the leverage advantage.

Bank fishing I use 13' to 10' boat 7 to 8.

15. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    i use a two or three ounce sinker and I can cast them much farther than i would ever need to. I would recommend them, though I haven't brought in anything larger than fourteen pounds on them.:wink:

16. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Instantly i think of how awkward my 7' and 9' are on my 12' inflatable boat or fishing from a kayak. I do not have to cast far, it seems my only concern would be a rod holder, or losing a rod in the dark with a big cat! How fast can a 32" rod and reel be pulled thru the water?

17. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Yes, you have found the drawback. I have gotten wet (sometimes more than others) going after one of the twins as I dearly refer to them. I could make some kind of holder but I haven't figured out a good design that would hold it securely enough that isn't bulky. Normally I cast out, position my rods and never get more than a step away from them. I might pay the price one day but I have done well so far watching them.

Also lit tips do not work because if a fish hits hard enough to make the tip move, the whole rod does. Don't misunderstand, the poles have great flexibility but since its spread over such a short area, they sometimes fly away.

Also, I use a Zebco Rhino reel with Bait Alert on one and an Abu Garcia on the other.

Here's a picture:

Attached Files:

18. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    looks like a ice fishing rod

19. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    There are some similarities, but it is definitely not an ice fishing rod.