My Rod Holder Rack/ sonar Rack

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by nevets91, Sep 12, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i built this last night with one of my friends i just used a piece of copper pipe. i wanted aluminum but couldnt find the size i wanted so i may do it with aluminum one day but this is what it looks like

tell me what you think or if there are any changes you would make to it.
    i cant wait to get slime on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steven it looks good. I don't know if it will stand up to the pressures of a big blue of Flathead. Good luck and let us know how it preforms.

3. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i was thinking the same thing but ive put plent of pressure on it and it aint goin any where its alot stronger than you think i can lean on it with no problems and ive put alot of pressure on the rods to test it. im pretty sure it will handle it no problem. and if it does break it just gives me an excuse to build something new.:smile2:

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    It looks good. You might want to either clear coat it or paint it to keep it from tarnishing. Or you could just use some never dull to keep it shining.

5. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    yeah ill prob be pulling it off and painting it once i fish with it some and make sure i like it. i didnt wanna take the time to paint it untill i know im going to be keeping it on my boat for a while. but thanks for the input

6. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

that was my first thought as well. it looks like very cool and you did a nice job on it, I just dont know if id trust the copper pipe.:cool2:

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    The copper pipe should stand up pretty good.... However, once it starts to bend the least little bit, it will break. There's very little flex before it snaps.

8. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i had the same concerns at first but after building it and seeing the pressure it can handle i think it will do just fine. but ill probably replace it with aluminum when i find the right size. it will prob take about 30-45 minutes tops to switch everything over and get a new piece of pipe on

9. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    That is a nice neat looking job.

10. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    thanks i just hope it works as well

11. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I, like others, think it looks good, but worry about the stiffness. What is that for your supports? I assume those are some kind of about 5/8 inch steel rods? Copper isn't the hardest metal either.
    Maybe before replacing like others have said, you might put a support down from the middle or two supports down from either side of the depth finder.
    It just looks too "thin" for my liking. When I think catfish, I think "thick" and "tough".
    Good luck with it. It is always a great feeling when you build something yourself and put it to good use.
    My bar in the back of my SeaArk is 1x3 aluminum supported by 4x4 aluminum posts. It works fine. Just modify it if it starts to bend.
    Good luck and catch a bunch

12. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Man I think it looks great! I wouldnt change a thing:wink:

13. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
  14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you do decide you need something stronger. Look at this. I had it on my boats and its tough you can anchor the boat with it. Also get 3/8" or 1/2" quick nuts and mount the holders easy adjustment. Just slide them side to side.
    http://www.mountsandmore.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=LU1249&PiID=11557&refid=FR2-LU1249_11557
    use these to mount the rod holders.
    http://store.eberliron.com/products/unistrut_parts/unistrut_spring_nuts_and_hardware/kwik_washers
    End caps for it also.
    http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_pg.php?P=S02_End_Caps
    Pete

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    If you want to do a simple upgread in the future and keeping it just like you have it. Just change your copper out to a piece of 1/2in ridged conduit, or stainless steel 1/2in pipe. Just a thought. But it does look good, tell us how she fairs after a goog work out.

16. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    yeah i think when i upgrade it will just be changing the pipe out om going to keep the same size ill just go to either aluminum, conduit, or stainless steel. what ever i can find for a good price but i think the copper will work just fine for the time being

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Steven thats a good looking rod holder i like the fish finder mounted there too :cool2:

18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    thats a good looking rod holder