My River Rader

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by catfish kenny, Aug 28, 2007.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It has taken awhile but now I think I have a decent cat boat.This is my second boat it is a15 ft.1975 Lowe,(first was a 14 polarcraft)I have modified it to suit my needs and I think I have done well as long as none of the mods come back to haunt me.Anyone who has a small boat knows space is a issue.I cut the front seat out,cut it down-mounted another seat on it.Cut two doors under it and braced the center.That is my tackle box,I aquired a glove box out of a junk fiberglass boat cut out and incerted under the captians seat in the back.I also aquired a heavy plastic storage box and mounted my fish finder on it.I used the spotlight off of the same fiberglass boat with a old fog/running light.I layed a 1/2 marine plywood floor and carpeted it.The trolling motor was a steal at a yard sale it is a old 43thrust motorguide.I mounted pole holders to each side and my live well is a respectable redneck basket.If there to big I use a stringer.I am running a 15hp Johnson Sea-Horse ,A little small but it does the job well.I mounted the batt.box and all of my wiring is ran on one side.I added personality and made a skull light for my white runnin light and made a jolly rodger flag out of a old fishing pole and bandanna to fly....DNR knows my boat and dont bother me much now:smile2: It's a challenge to do all of this and I am prety satisfied.It cost a little money but it was more time than anything.............

Attached Files:

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good lookin' job, Kenny... If it works for you, thats what's important. Welcome to the BOC

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Looks like you put a lot of thought into getting all that stuff packed in there. WHEW!:0a1:

Sounds like it works pretty good for you and thats what counts the most.

Having fun and catchin' a fish now and again, thats what it's all about.

Looks good, welcome 2 BOC!:big_smile:

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice boat man. If it gets you and all your stuff safely from point A to point B then you've done your job. Sounds like you've got what you need. Have fun with it.

5. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Good job. It's always satisfying to know that you put all those personal touches on the boat yourself and made it your own design. Good luck!

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thought I would dig er out from the archieves!

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    VERY NICE! :smile2::smile2::smile2::big_smile::big_smile:

Bill

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Looks pretty good Kenny
    You've given me a couple of ideas for mine.
    Finally got the lower unit ready to install so i guess I'll be able to use the old boat this year after all.
    I guess all the extra stuff I was planning to do will just have to wait til next year. Don't have any extra cash to spend on her this year.

have a good one
    just

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Kenny, looks great, looks like everything is well organized and you still have the space in the boat to get the job done. Thanks for sharing.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob-I fully understand:wink:SHOO_WEEE Fishing is expensive fer we lasses!:eek:oooh:

11. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    Looks like a well built catfish'n machine to me. Great job Kenny.

12. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well done Lad, well done.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey that ole 43th motor guiede on the front ...that aint fer bass fishin-its fer getting bait:eek:oooh::tounge_out::eek:oooh:Yup since I have posted this I have done a few mods-New Finder-rewired and installed a fuse pannel -moved all my light switches to/horn to the box in the back....oh new rod holders and I have a set of off road halogens Id put on if I can figure out how to mount them-I have good night vision but I get blinded easy and I hate that out on the river....its dangerous enough without being blind to:eek:oooh

14. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenny, Good job on your boat! I just got a Lowe Roughneck 1760 last fall and am trying to get it catfish ready. I'm interested in what you are doing about running lights? I saw some small blue running lights at Wally World, thought they would be good for bugs but maybe not enough light? What do ya think? Rusty

15. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    looks real good !!

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rusty I assume you know what lights you have to have on yer boat to run at night-you can buy the red/green light and white rear light at Walley world but your gonna find you need a good hand held rechargable and I also have a marine spot light that I recycled off a old boat...and it still aint enough at times.It can get dark on the water:eek:oooh:I sure dont have the right formula yet

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well since it is winter and I am tinkerin-I am wiring up 8led lights I have for inside lighting-there red so I am hoping they will not draw bugs.....Lighting is a never ending problem and I hope this solves alot of it.......

18. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    kenny, Good job on your jon! I put a set of those dc rope lights (6' down each side) on mine. They look sweet in the garage, they are clear so I don't know about the bugs? Still snowing in Illinois, inside looking out! Rusty

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I installed 8 led semi trailer marker lights ,they are colored red so....hoping they dont attract bugs.Lighting seems to be a never ending battle for me but now maybe I have er whooped!????

20. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    Thanks for the update Kenny. I am fixen to put lights in my boat and never thought of those semi-trucks marker lights. Your a freak'n genuis, I am going to try these, thanks again.......
    John