My reunion.....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cathooker, May 1, 2008.

1. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I thought I would share with ya'll an event that is about to happen that is one of the most impotrant events in my life. First I'll set the stage for how this came to be.

Two years ago on Memorial Day I got an email that was titled "this is Skip". It was from Skip Chesney from Oregon. He was one of my best friends in Vitenam.We were fight engineers on Chinook Helicopters. His life after Nam had paralled mine to the point of being unbelieveable. I had put some pictures on a website called Vietnam Helicopter Crewmember's Network. One day Skip had found this website and was looking thru the pictures. He came across one of a Chinook helicopter in flight. The caption uner the pic read "Oct. 71 Big Windy headed to Cambodia" When he saw this he freaked out. He started yelling for his wife to came there and see this picture. When she saw it he told her this "That is my bird and I have a copy of this picture" It was made by Butler!! Only two people in the world has copies of this and since I have one then only Butler could have put this on this website. He contacted the website administrator and told him the story and got my contact info. I called him almost immediately. We have been in constant contact since then. We also started looking for three other guys, Sam Pitts, Jack Saylor and Jack Parker. A long search had turned up nothing. Then Skip had found a website that was called Chinook crews.com. It is a place where anyone that has ever been associated with a Chinook flight platoon can register and your info will be put into a database that can be seen by anyone interested. We both signed up. A couple of months later (Nov. 2007) I got two emails....one from Jack Saylor and one from Sam Pitts. I was stunned. I cried, I whooped and hollered. Then I thanked God. The four of us have talked on the phone, wirtten dozens of emails, swapped pictures etc. It seems that the four of us had all started looking for each other about the same time. We all got to Nam the same week and all left within three days of each other. Jack and I left on the same plane. The five of us were extremely close and although we had other friends, there were none that could get close to us inside our little family. We have not found Jack Parker but we are still looking.

Fast forward until today: Tomorrow morning I am picking Skip up at the Chattanooga airport. Then we are driving to FLorence Ky. At a motel right off I-75 in FLorenece we are meeting Jack And Sam. We are going to spend three days together. This is the first time we have seen each other in 37 years. God has truly blessed us. Our wives will not be with us on this trip as they all said that we needed this time alone. All of our wives are soooo very supportive of us and they feel that this trip is one of the most important events in our lives. I feel that a huge emotional burden will be lifted from my heart. Next year we plan on a trip to The Vietnam Memorial wall in DC. DOn't know how I am gonna handle that one but the wife says we gotta go.

I pray that you, my internet family, will have an event in your life that is as blessed as this one is for me.

Alan

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for sharing that Alan! Have fun with your old buddies. I imagine alot of good and bad memories will be flooding you all, but it's great you found them. Also thanks for your service to our country in a very rough time.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas

couldnt have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Brother, I got the chills reading this. My grandpa was in Nam and would only share stories with me down by the river when we were the only 2 around. I studied the war as a Viet Nam Historian in college and even made a 2 week trip over there to see it first hand a couple years back...

I truly wish you all the best in your adventures to find your 5th and a blessed weekend together with your comrades.

Thank you for your service!

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    That is one of the coolest things I have heard in a long time.Have a great time at the reunion! Thank you all for your service.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ALAN,

THIS GO TO SHOW GOD DOES ANSWER PRAYERS WHEN HE THINKS IS THE WRIGHT TIME AND THIS MUST BE THAT TIME , GOD BLESS YALL AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THE LAND WE ALL LOVE AND MAY GOD BE WITH YOU ON THIS TRIP, YOU WILL BE IN OUR PRAYERS.

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx for sharing Alan. and thankyx to you and your band of brothers for your service.Have a good time but dont make me call the cops.
    smokey

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Alan that is GREAT! Thanks for sharing.

Last year I got email from a couple of the guys that was in the same USAF outfit I was in Newfoundland during 1954 to 1956.

They sent me several pictures of myself that I didn't know existed. One of these pictures I now use as my profile picture, can be viewed by clicking my avatar.

We visited all the War Memorials in DC in 2006, it was awesome. I wish all Americans had the chance to see them.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alan I know you have already told me about this but I want to say I know you will enjoy some of it and it will raise some old memories but it will also close some older memories. Alan , I have been to the wall, it is an awe struck feeling being there in front of all those names that has been inscribed on that wall. Those are the hero's of mine and your time. I could feel each and every one of them. I will make that trip again some day enjoy your time alan as I have always said we all earned that time.

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Alan, thanks for sharing your wonderful news with us buddy. I have tried to find some of the guys who were on the Carrier with me back in the early 60s but no luck so far.

We hope ya'll have a fantastic reunion and get to catch up on each other's lives.

11. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Alan, that is an awesome tale. Congrats for finding your lost family, it is truly a blessing. I hope your trip to Chattanooga is a good one and you all have a wonderful time catching up on lost time. Thnks for all of your service. My dad was in Vietnam too at one time. I hope your journey to the wall is a safe one.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Hey, Great!!!! Good to run into old buddies. I've tracked down a couple, lost contact with most of em. Good when I find em tho. Strange how that happens.