My ratings on flathead reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathunter, Dec 21, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to rate several flathead reels that I own and use.I will rate them on a 1-10 scale.

Penn 320 GT2

casting ability-7

drag-10

Line capacity-10

Abu garcia 7000

casting ability-9

drag-6

line capacity-10

Abu garcaia 6500

Casting ability-10

drag-6

Line capacity-5

If I had to chose between those 3 reels I would pick the penn..I like them all, and have even caught my biggest flathead on a abu 6500..They all have ther pro's and cons.
    I have not found the perfect reel yet.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good post flathunter, I've got a abu 6500, and a 7000....The 6500 is a little small for me (but it's a great reel)....the 7000 is more the size I like, and it's awesome!

I alway's say "you cant go wrong with a good penn reel".

I have a question, what is the difference between a penn 320 gti and a penn 320 gt2? I'm getting a penn 320 Gti, cant wait to use that bad boy..... :D

Good luck bro! :)

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've never used any other baicaster for catfishing other than Abu's. I gotta go w/ an Abu 7000.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess the gt2 is a newer version of the gti, with a few upgrades, at least that is what I was told.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I looked it up, the GT2 is a little bigger, and like you said a newer version of the GTI.... :)

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I own a penn 321 gti left hand retrieve and i feel it's the better of the 2 reels the abu garcia reels (6500-7000) cast decent but they are jerky when reeling in fast, when you try the penn you will see and feel the advantage. I recommend the shimano baitrunner 4500 and 6500 spinning reels, these will cast farther than any level wind reel and also have a drag advantage. When the baitrunner lever is on it give line to the running fish (flattie) like a clicker would but even smoother, then with a half turn of the handle or simply switch the lever off you are back to the main drag for hook setting. Level winds you have to turn the clicker off and tighten the drag. I use Level winds mostly for trolling because spinning reels seem to twist the line but for still fishing these monster baitrunners are the best. ;)