my ranger true love

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cathouse, Jun 24, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I asked a while back if anyone had experiece with the ranger line of trucks shortly after i bought mine , 1989 supercab 2.9 4x4 add a leaf in the rear and air bags up front . This is my second ford truck first was a f-150 straight six what a mule . never saw my self i a mini but man i love it for all that it is and is not . Wont win any 1/4 miles won't pull a stump but getting in and out of those little tight fishing holes climbing out of a situation or two and just plain fun to drive , i love this little truck oh and i already have a 4.0 ready to swap in as soon as my 2.9l dies , let the good times roll .

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    that 4.0 is one hell of a good motor you might as well get to killin that 9 cause there aint no comparision there OH YEAH FORD all the way here!

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    the 2.9 aint going to die lol those trucks take a beating and just keep on rollin. we have an 89 2.9 5 speed and its go 265k with out needing a motor or trans:cool2:

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You're one of the lucky ones. Thank god I have'nt had to work on one of those in years. There's not many left. (the 2.9) Does yours sound like it someone threw a handful of nickels in one of the valve covers yet?

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    it taps pretty bad when could but goes away when warm. every 2.9 ive delt with seem to be problem free.:cool2:

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I've read about that problem mine has 169k and sounds like a sewing machine , no leaks or burning either just changed original alternator and stareter about a week apart . I must say again driving this little truck is a blast and it does what i need very well A-B and back and the 4x4 works good but i am wanting to change the factory hubs to warn or mile marker any suggestions my truck won,t be rock climbing or heavy muddin other than the occassional trail leading to a hole or two oh and those blasted snow storms come winter .

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I own a 2001 Ranger 4x4 ext cab and love it. Great truck.

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I sometimes don't think it knows its a little truck it seems to enjoy getting put through the paces so to speak , on more than one occasion i have taken the road less traveled and i thought i heard it giggle and ask for more . lol

9. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Any suggestions on those manual hubs stricktly for upgrade purposes seeing how i have to replace a front axle anyhow i might as well change bearings and the other goodies while i am in there .

10. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    keep the manuel hubs auto hubs arent worth 2 cent i had a 96 z71 and the truck has to be movin for the transfer case to lock in now i have a 05 f 250 powerstroke on 37s with manuel lock in hubs thats what i prefer and wont change it

11. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    i have a 94 2wd 2.3 5 spd with 3.73 gears it goes good for what it is and even played in it a little it went better than i thought with low air pressure, all i use it for is to pull my small 16 ft aluminum boat about 5 miles to lake and back and it is dandy on gas driving back and forth from home to deer camp 50 miles away in deer season love these little trucks they can take a beating and ask for more the next day. put higher flow muffler on it and gutter the air box and took air baffler out and it goes a little better and sounds good without sounding like a rice rocket.

12. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I already have manual hubs but am looking to upgrade from stock to mile marker or warn MM seems to be a little less expensive and i am looking for better than stock but not a dedicated off road use truck .

13. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    i have a samuri and i just put brand new superwinch lock in hubs on it they were less than warn and factory they work great

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've got a 89 2wd, auto, ranger with the 2.9, it ticks for a second or two on start up but after that it's fine. Does great on fuel but won't pull my boat....:sad2:

It's great general transportation & a hell of alot better on fuel than my 93 E250, 4.9. That's my boat puller:smile2:

15. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    i had superwinch hubs on my 93 ranger and they worked great. you'll love the 4.0 once you do the swap i had one in mine and it pulled a 16 foot boat all day long beggin for more

16. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i used to have a 90 ranger 4x4 with the 2.9 backed with a 5speed. toughest motor ive ever seen. drove it 15 miles with no coolant and it would die. fill it up the next day and ran like a charm. good truck clutch finally went out after i sold it to my cousing. i drove the piss outa that truck. i got a 96 ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 and a 5speed too. got 30x9.50x15 mudgrips on it and it will go through alot of stuff i probally wont need to go through. anyway i love the ranger line of trucks. heres a few pics before the mud grips were put on

Attached Files:

17. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    haha ok a few more pics. i also put rims offa early 90's ranger on it too. like the looks alot better. still without the mudgrips but a ranger nonetheless. i did manage to make it out of my ally with all that snow without having to be pulled out. 4 wheel drive is great!!!

Attached Files:

18. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for the feed back on the superwinch hubs .

19. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    all i can say is i would not go with mile markers. had them on a half ton f150 and they shelled out on us trying to pull another truck out. i got warns on my ranger and couldent be happier!