My PS Flathead!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by stumpjumper, Apr 28, 2008.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I got my "personal smallest" Flathead this past weekend :embarassed:

In 15 years of Flatheadin', I have never caught one this small. This thing hit a jumbo Bluegill head too :crazy: It had a ridiculously huge gut. I almost wanted to keep it as a pet. It was the cutest, most ambitious little thing.

Thanks goodness for the net :smile2:

Attached Files:

2. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Congrats, on the small big fish.:smile2:

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    my son caught one like that last year and we laughed at the little guy he took a glob of worms and a bobber down and bent his little 6ft pole in half boy he sure did fight

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey congrats on the cute small Flathead, I believe that has to be the smallest flathead that I have ever seen its hard to believe how something that small in a couple years time can gain so much weight.

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Last week I caught one smaller than that on a bluegill, one good thing is you know they are reproducing.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Again thats a nice Flathead, Marc. But he is small. :smile2:

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    What a tough guy. When he gets to 20#,you had better keep the kids out of the water!!

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :smile2: Marc - That is the opposite of the ones were used to you posting! :big_smile: I get some little ones like that also!

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Hey atleast you caught one this year.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Marc I'll bet that Bad Boy has a GOOD Chance of putting You in the Money in the Fish Off !! What Ya Think? :wink: J.D.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice little fish.....with a great big attitude:big_smile:

12. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Awe, ain't that the cutest thing ever?!

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I got one like that last year. He hit a big live bluegill. Evidently he hit right after I threw out b/c the clicker went a few clicks and then stopped and when I was reeling the thing in I was thinking "Man this bluegill is putting up a decent fight" and then bam, little dude on the hook:big_smile:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the smallest flathead i ever seen weighed in a local tournament at 0.8lobs.:smile2: no kidding! it took a 4 inch chub. what made it even better, was my buddy had to weigh it in for his 5th. fish! LMAO! he is still trying to live that one down....rollo:wink:​

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's funny!!! It reminded me of something I saw last summer while fishing for skip jacks.

I was at the Melvin Price Dam fishing for skipjacks when this 'ol boy came walking to the bank with a big ol surf rod. I kid you not this thing was about 12 feet long. I didn't think much about it, not an uncommon sight at the dam, alot of guys use rods that big to cast way out then let the bait drift down river in hopes that a monster blue will take the bait. Then I watched him tie on a itty bitty hook, bait it with a worm then attach a bobber about 4 inches above the worm. Now I'm intrigued, I thought to myself, "what in the world is this guy thinking??, he must be new to this whole catfishing thing, you can't catch a big blue with that set-up!" Then what I saw was really shocking, he dropped that worm and bobber right in the water right around the rocks in the water near the bank. At this point I virtually quit fishing myself and due to my curiousity and started watching this guy. Then all of a sudden his bopper went under, with a quick yank he pulled up a fish. It was a small flathead about ten inches! He took it off the hook and tossed it into his creel. He rebaited and dropped that bobber right next to the rock again. Wham, the bobber went down again and once again he caught a small flatty. I sat there and watched that ol boy work the water along the rocks and catch one small flatty after the other. He was using that monster surf rod as a dipping stick, like a crappie pole.

That picture of that fish reminded me of that ol boy catching those small flatty's with that big 'ol surf rod!

Thanks for the pic!!

16. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    That's an awesome story Bill, I'd like to try that some time, it sounds like fun.

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Congrats on your PS Flatty! too bad you didnt put the scales to it, it coulda been a hall of famer!

18. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats Funny, but sadly I've seen smaller.

19. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    what a monster!lol