My Project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Spider, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I started this project before winter. This isn't much of a boat and it surely isn't pretty but it's all I got and actually works out pretty well for me since I'm generally alone anyway.
    This is what I started with (the picture really does make it look much better than it was).

[​IMG]

The trailer in primer and mock-up:​

[​IMG]

Trailer parts painted and awaiting assembly:​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todays work on my electrical panel. The box is a Radio Shack plastic project box and holds the trolling motor breaker and a fuse block, the switch panel is a Cabela's 6 switch panel of which I replaced the two right side switches with 3-Way for the bildge pump and running/anchor lights, the lower left is a 12 volt outlet, and the lower right is the recepticle for the trolling motor plug.

[​IMG]

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    that will make a good boat Larry i dont see a thing wrong with it keep us posted

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Good luck on your project. Looks like you took it down to the nuts and bolts on the trailer prep. Looking good!

4. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Yeah, I stripped it down all but completely. Every bolt, nut, and washer will be new except for the spring eye bolts (no way I was messing with them). I almost needed to go over everything due to rust and what looked like salt residue. The axle was junk so I bought a whole new assembly from http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com/Merchant3/merchant.mvc?page=LCTS/CTGY/tubular_axles. It goes back outside for assembly as soon as this screwy weater decides to warm up enough to work outside.

5. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Looks like your doing a fine job! Red Looks Good!

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is a fine boat. That is just what I'm needing to fish the river I fish. I like the fine work you are doing. Keep the pics coming as work progresses.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    thats gonna be a fine cattin boat and the good feeling your gonna get from knowing you built it:cool2:

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Oh Yeah! Figured out how to attach pictures finally. Dahh, some things we just overlook.
    Got the electrical panel enclosure covered tonight. I think it turned out pretty nice. I have to do the cover (top) yet but that is the easy part. That will screw on so I can access the connections without taking everything apart.

Attached Files:

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Looks great Larry. That's a nice boat!

10. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Looks like you are doin it up right, it ll be nice when its finished, what are the specs on the boat?

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    The Rig:
    1990 Lowe 14' V Hull
    1976 Evinrude 9.9
    1990 Shorelander Trailer (?)

Outboard is in great shape and runs like a champ. The trailer was pretty much junk and is awaiting reassembly now. The boat had a bunch of leak issues and hopefully that is all taken care of.

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Spent part of today getting my framework together for the deck at the stern behind the seat. I used 1" Aluminum channel across the back of the seat and at the transom brace and 2"x 6"" lumber ripped to 1-1/2 square for the framing. The brackets were cut from remaining channel and drilled then screwed to the 1-1/2 sq. framing. There will be two hatches, one on the starboard side to access the drain plug and one port side to access the bildge pump.
    Here's a picture of the framing in place (with clamps). I waterproofed some pieces. The rear supports are no in the picture but are the same 1-1/2" lumber at four places going from the bottom of the frame to the boat's floor at the transom. All screws are stainless.

Attached Files:

13. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Electrical Panel I just finished up. Will need to connect wiring from lights, pump, sonar once I get to the point of installing the panel in the boat.
    The battery cable are 4AWG so I can place the battery up front for weight distribution reasons. I had them made up (online purchase) for under $50.

Attached Files:

14. starcraft72

starcraft72 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's a great job! The best part is everythings is put where YOU want not where someone thinks it oughta be! :wink:

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    looks good, once ya get done you'll have ta test it out at blue marsh, trick is ya wanna keep everything as light as ya can, when i redid my old boat i used three quarter inch marine board and it was very heavy, i should of used half inch, boat was very stable but the 15 hp motor i had didn't move it very good:confused2:

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I thought that Saturday was kinda cold and passed on outside work. Today was a better day and I got pretty much done. The trailer is about 2/3 finished. Ready to put the boat back on it so I can adjust the bunks and get the winch tower and winch set back up. The fenders are going to wait until all but last so they aren't in my way. I checked the tracking by measuring from the hitch coupler to the center of each axle hub and it looks to be all but a perfect match side to side. Should track good behind the truck. Things are going sweet so far with the project, probably because I'm taking the time to think things out before just charging into it. I want this trailer and boat ready for when bass opens at the latest.

Attached Files:

17. catfishpatrol

catfishpatrol New Member

State:
    Kokomo, Indiana
    do you know where i can get information on what kind of fuses to use with the different electronics i have on my boat?:confused2:

18. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    The best place is the manufacturer. Check over any paperwork you might have, most tells you want it should be fused at. Search the web for a company site and look for documentation. You may even be able to email them and ask.
    What do you need to fuse?

19. catfishpatrol

catfishpatrol New Member

State:
    Kokomo, Indiana
    i have a fish finder that wont work right. when you turn it on the screen is black and it wont do anything. ive been told by a few people it needs a fuse but they didnt know what kind. the instruction manual doesnt say anything about fuses. im stuck.

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The fuse is external to the sonar unit. Start at the unit and follow the hot lead back until you get to a fuse panel or more likely an in-line fuse holder.

Do you know how to use a meter? Just check for 12v at the unit. Also make sure the ground is good, either input missing will make it inoperable.:eek:oooh: