My Pond

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catmaster9786, May 13, 2009.

1. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys I have a one acre Pond in my backyard. I know that there are alot of big cats in there but they are very hard to catch for some reason. It seems that i only catch one about one for every 3 times i fish it. and that maybe me setting out a rod all night. I always fish on the bottom but i am wondering if this may be a bad idea. The pond is fairly deep all over and has no shallow flats, and weeds all around the edge. I am starting to think that it is a bad idea to fish on the bottom because the bottom is just straight muck. There is probably two foot of silt on the bottom. Should i try using a bobber and suspending a bait over the bottom or what? Thanks for any help you can provide

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Give it a shot you have nothing to lose. Ypu already have proven they do not bite very well off the bottom. Switch up your baits also.

3. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    I have ran into the same problem in several farm ponds that I fish. One theory that I have come up with is this.... most of the time in big lakes, channels are a somewhat low percentage fish with respect to their overall numbers in a given body of water. I'm not talking about rivers. But in lakes and ponds only a small percentage of catfish are on the feed at any particular time, dare I say MOST of the time. In a 1000 acre lake there may be 30,000 catchable size channel cats. And if you move all around and try lots of fresh baits, on a really good night, you may catch thirty. So in a one acre pond where there may be only thirty catchable size channels, you may only end up with one or two. I don't know just one theory.:confused2:

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Are you feeding them? Is there a food source for them in the Pond?

I've got a pond and I don't fish it as much as I do the Lake. It's too easy. Each time I go, I can catch one after another. When my bait hits the water, if I haven't got a bite before it reaches bottom they must have stolen the bait.

I've got goldfish and minnows in there for the catfish to feed on. In the summertime I feed a floating pelleted food.... It doesn't matter how much I feed them, they always seem to be hungry.

There are no Bass or perch or anything else in there. I wouldn't recommend putting goldfish in like I've done though. They do eat the goldfish, but the ones that they don't get really big. I've got some pretty big goldfish in there now. And when the weather gets hot, I have to add some fresh water in there to keep the oxygen levels up.

5. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I would say change up your baits, and go to a slip bobber,If you dont feed your pond fish .that should help you tear 'em up. Just a thought.Good Luck

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep.you need to get it off the bottom and out of the weeds.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Try the slip float rig. A cigar float should hod the bait up off the bottom and out of the weeds. There will be some aquatic plans on bottom and I figure your bait is getting down in the weeds so catfish have trouble finding it.

8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would defidently suspend your bait under a float...Heck if you are feeling spunky why not fish two rods one on the bottom and one with a float and see which performs better....thats what i would do....hope i helped ya somehow...

9. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Another idea would be to take a small float and put it between your hook and your sinker when your fishing the bottom, it doesn't have to be very big, just a small peg float for pan fish would work great, but keep in mind you might need a little more lead if your fishing light, another thing you may want to keep in mind is that you might be fishing too far out, try bringing things a little closer to shore, or do one far and one close, and you may want to try putting your bait a little closer to the wind swept corner/side of your pond just a few feet off the cattails if you got 'em, and more importantly than anything, don't be afraid to switch up baits, it might seem a bit goofy to some people but to me it has always seemed like pond fish are one of two things, picky or indiscriminate eaters. Hope this gives you some ideas.

10. catfishassassin

catfishassassin New Member

State:
    ohio
    gotta have the right bait on the right hook. i use 8 ft white ugly stik catfish pole with daiwa emcast sport reel. i got trilene big game line and a weighted gamakatsu 3/o hook. and i bang em in farm ponds with hot dogs. .55 cents will get u a pack of bar s hot dogs from wal mart and i kill em with those jumbo franks.also, pay attention to the enviroment around you. crawdads, grasshoppers, baby blue gill and such are obvious natural baits, so try to mimic nature as much as possible.and if u got too much "booger hair" in your pond, try introducing grass carp into the enviroment, that should clear alot of that shit up

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    As everyone stated I think so far a change of bait should work.

Kinda makes me wonder if someone has been going in there an doing a catch an eat an forgot to release. You sure no one has been slipping into your pond?
    We've stocked a few ponds in the area an I can go just about anytime an catch several within a hour or so. Something just doesn't sound right with a very low catch percentage. Channel cats will feed just about anytime regardless if they have all ready been feed by the floating pellet feeding as another had suggested. I would tend to think someone has been flipping a few lines in while your away but I could be wrong.

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    slip bobber mam with bait suspended two feet below try that rick