My Pond #2

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catmaster9786, May 19, 2009.

1. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Another thing about my pond is that over the last 5 or 6 years i have catfished in it I have only caught one fish under 4 pounds. Do you think this maybe because they dont have the right spawning cover? Maybe it is also the reason i dont catch much because there are few in there and they are not producing? If so what kind of cover should i put in the pond for the fish to spawn in?

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    cut the ends off of 55 gallon drums that would work,pine trees,anything a cat can get into and out of safely they will uses to spawn catfish cant back up so make sure ur openings on both ends are big enough so they can go all the way through with out getting stuck

3. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds hillbilly, but a couple of old truck tires can also do the trick. Either that or I have been fishing in some old farmers dumping pond...but the cats always seemed to hang out in them. Just a thought. :big_smile:

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Maybe your pond isn't big enough to have big cats or good numbers...my opinion is it would take a good size pond or small lake to successfully produce nice size cats

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Gotta agree with the older guy here lol. Cats won't spawn if the pond is too small, or lacks proper spawning structure. Or enough forage base. Or any combination of those three and a few more reasons. Don't ask me what is too small cause I don't know. But I've read in a few places that size of habitat is a major factor. That's why the DNR has to stock certain lakes in this state year after year.

If you want to be able to catch big cats from your pond, you need to put a few small ones in every now and then, and make sure there is a good supply of Gills, or minnows, or bass...etc for them to eat. Pond channels rely heavily on live fish (gills) for food.

If you put in 10 or 12 cats per year, and toss all unused gills in there after each fishing trip, in 2 or 3 years you'll be catching 8 to 10 pounders regularly. You just gotta keep stocking them cause not all cats live 25 years.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You might also feed them comercial fish food...My ex father in law had a pond where he put a bunch of baby channel cats in...He fead them comerciall fish food, and alot of it..the last I heard he had 25-30-lb channel cats in that pond.

7. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    tie cender bolcks to bushes,trees ( or the trunks ) pine trees old x-mas trees of course are all ways plenty full around the first of the year lol,lol.

8. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    :eek:oooh:
    hey what the hell, you say that as if hillbilly is a bad thing! well any way puting old truck tires in water to HELP the fish. ok then, lets just take a min and think about that, well lets see OLD TIRES uummmmm.i myself being a hiibilly would even take a nother look at that,what is all the stuff that went into the makeing of this OLD TIRE.only if u knew, not even thinking of all the UNHEATHY STUFF PICKED UP OVER THE YEARS ON THE ROADS. would you want something like that in a lake you have. :confused2:as u can see me being a HILLBILLY i havent found my abc check yet