My pet blue

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    For twenty some years I have cleaned fish down by my dock on Lake Norman and I throw the skins, trimmings and carcass into the lake next to the shoreline. If they are perch and eating size catfish they will be gone the next day. If they are striper's, it takes two or three days for them to disappear. I also dump my left over bait at the dock when I come in from a trip.

Up until a couple of years ago, I figured a river otter or some musrats were eating them. Then one morning when the lake was down low, I walked down to the dock and saw a big blue feeding and I mean a big blue, it parted the waters when it saw me and you have never seen such a wake created by a fish. As you can see from the attached photo that is a lot of fish for one cat to eat, but right now, there are only two striper's laying on the bottom.

My wife is always kidding me about Moby Dick and says I should go down there and catch it. With all the poles and brush down thar, I would never get it out. Plus, what fun would it be to catch something you have been feeding for so long. Now, if it was out in the cove in open waters, I would not mind playing with it for a spell. Of course I would release it.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I went down to the dock and took a photo of the two remaining striper's laying on the bottom of the lake. Bet they are gone in the morning.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    That's cool, hopefully you'll at least get a good look at it sometime. Must be a monster.:eek:oooh:

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well, it looks like you know which baits he is more partial to if you ever decide to go after him.

5. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    only if you could get a picture of the best!

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That's rather interesting reading. You can almost bet it's hanging close to that area 24/7. Easy feeding and probably feels pretty safe there. Thanks for the pictures .hopefully you can get at least a picture of it sometime.We'd all love to see how big it is.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Maybe you can set up a 'critter cam' and catch the blue in the act. :wink:

8. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Man, i'd like to see the size of that blue

9. One fish isnt eating all that...He has alot of freinds,turtles etc.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thats what I was thinking, be cool to run a webcam under that dock and let it run 24/7

11. KamoKing

KamoKing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bet there has to be some turtles and other fish joining in on the easy food. To bad a trail cam for deer wouldnt work down there, or would it. That would be pretty cool if it would be enough movement to trigger the camera and get a picture of what all is eating your leftovers!

12. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I'll bet he's a big one and hungry to by the looks of it. Hope you get a picture of him sometime.:cool2:

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm with Rob, I bet other critters are feasting too, turtles for sure where I'm at.

Man, that's some clear water in the photos; how far down is the visibilty? River is murky 24/7 here.

IMO, it might not be too difficult to rig up a set line there to catch that rascal, or who knows what else that feeds there.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mac thats way cool:cool2: (LOL) Yes Sir (LOL) kind amazin too!:cool2:

15. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd say tie a limb line on the dock but he might swim off with it.

16. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cool story, I'd love to see him!
    That's my wife's holiday roast!

can anyone name that movie?