My Personal Worm Catching tips...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by lilrivercatman, Apr 12, 2008.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    After about 3 nights and 6 hours of night crawler hunting here in Iowa I have learned alot...Here are some of my pointers... :wink:

First off go out at night, when its completely dark after/during a bigger rain storm

Step slowly and lightly...Sometime when its really quiet jump on the ground...You will hear all the worms SLURP back into their holes...

Use minimal light...Once they see that light they are never seen again...I personally use 1 small LED on a hat with the other 2 taped over...It works well. I think its personally alot better then traditional yellow light...I have no idea why, but it seems that way for me...

Get close to the ground...A lot of time the worms will stretch under the grass and are very hard to see or just their heads will stick out.

Never underestimate leaves...Look under around areas where leaves have gathered...Along buildings or reatianing walls...Also look on the edges of cement/concrete pads where the water runs off.

Dont pull to hard and never give up...When you got one fighting you in its hole SLOWLY pull straight up and EVENTUALLY they will start to come out...

Feel free to add your own tips! I'm new at this game and could use some..I plan never to buy worms this year!!!! :tounge_out:

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky

3. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    i got about 5 dozen last night took my niece an nephew out to help they had a blast they had a little bit of a hard time at first but they got the hang of it now.. all the perch an bullhead fishing ive been doing lately i wont have to buy bait and leaves more $ for gas especially with the prices now.

4. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for that tip:big_smile:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I was able to get about 3-4 dozen last night also, most were completely out of their holes and they were bigguns. I may try to get out to use them today :big_smile:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    were they as big as the hotdogs you get?:wink: rollo

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Pretty durn close :big_smile:

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    When doing this in an urban enviroment, its good to one up every now & then with a light shining on the worm you just caught. The cops in my area like to watch you for awhile from a distance to see whats wrong with you before coming down to have an uncomfortable talk (which happens if they dont see you with a worm).

9. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    well if you haveing a hard time getting the worms up out of the ground then take a bowl with some liquid dishsoap with some water and pour it all around. they will almost just shoot out of the ground. and dont worry the dish soap wont harm anything, just wash the worms off and your done.

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for the tips