My personal best flathead catfish!!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KanHeadhunter, Apr 24, 2006.

1. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I caught a 47 pound flathead this weekend. It was on a setline in about 3 feet of water, bait was a 5 inch bluegill. I good story goes along with this fish. I will post pics when I get them.

16 year old daugther and me in a water scamp, with a 28lb thrust trolling motor and a dead battery!!!! We are paddling to our last 2 lines with zero fish caught.

I grab the line to check it........It felt a little heavy. I tell my daughter we have a fish, than a boil on the water and the fish goes back down. I tell her I didn't get a good look at it, I just show the tail. I'm thinking 15lber. I bring it up again.........Daugther yells "Holy S%#T!!! I said that is a 25 lb fish!! She ask were is the net? I tell her it is at the house.:confused: Why is it at the house she asked, reply, I didn't think we would need it!! Now she is yelling at me for not bring the net.:mad: I tell this isn't a good time to argue about the net, we are going to plan B!!

Plan B.........She ask what is plan B?? I'm going to grab the fish by the mouth next time I bring it up and throw it in the scamp!! First try......Fish comes up I reach down and I chicken out. That is a big mouth with teeth. 2nd try I grab it and the fish goes down with my hand in it's mouth.:crying: Hand comes out with lot's of skin gone. 3rd try daugther says don't let it bite you this time.........Let go before he goes down so it won't cut your hand up any more!!!! I grab it with 2 hands this time, pull up and smack my daugther leg as the fish come in;) The fish is ours, she let out a big scream of excitment, we sit and stare at the fish in amazment. High 5's are going up.

I paddle the scamp back to cabin with bloody hand.......Funny it didn't hurt yet. We tye fish up and call all of our family. It was a geat memory that I will never forget with my daugther. Thanks for let me tell you about it.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Sounds like a nice fish and good memories. Congrats and hope you catch a lot more.

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I liked your story. Sounds like it was fun. i enjoyed reading it.

4. Nooga

Nooga New Member

State:
    Chattanooga,Tennessee
    Great story. Hope to read some more.

5. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Fish Pics Are Cool, But So Are Battle Pics..... I Have A Scar Or Two Myself. Did You Take One Of Your Hand?

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Congratulations on the big Flat. Very nice story by the way. I really enjoyed reading it. Sound like the old Murphy law was in effect all the way. I look forward to seeing the pics.

7. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Congrats, sounds like you had a great time with your daughter.

SudDawg

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on a nice fish.

9. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Thanks guys. I'm still pretty excited about it.

I have the pic but I have no idea how to post them?? Can I send them to someone here that could put them up for me. Also I would like to make it my aviator too. I'm don't know much about this stuff.

I didn't get any pics of my hand.......I never thought about doing that. It still hurts!!

Thanks, Kan

10. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Sounds like a great time! Congrats on the big fish!

I'll post the pics if you want to email them to me. I'll also make one the size of an avatar if you want. joe.ware@monsanto.com

11. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cool story man and congrats on the catch! Would love to see the pics when you get them posted!

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    sounds awesome! cant wait for the pics. nothing better then living a story with family.

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    She sounds like a tough skipper. Perhaps she should take stock of your boats cargo before shipping off. Hope you two have a great season.

14. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    As requested...:)

Nice fish!

Attached Files:

15. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Same picture, just cropped......

Attached Files:

16. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Thanks Joe!! I hope to get the pics of my daugther & the fish soon so everyone can see who my advisor was during the battle.

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Congrats on your personal best! Nice fish!!

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good fish .......