My Personal Best Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by perch, Aug 14, 2006.

1. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    Went out Saturday night on the Missouri with brother and friend. I caught my biggest blue on rod and reel. He weighed in at 30 lbs and 11 ounces. Caught him on Asian Carp in 17' of water along the main channel at 2:00 a.m. We also caught two smaller blues (couple lbs each), one flat about three lbs, and two channels (one went 6 lbs). I had another good one on about 6:45 this morning but broke off. Do you guys retie your rigs after catching a big fish? I had the second fish on the same rod. The knot broke on the leader where it was tied to swivel with a palymar knot. I was using 40 lb test mono. If this is not a good knot, what type knot do you guys use?

2. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i always use the palomar(sp?) knot, never fails me...

so you caught the big blue on a live carp?

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on the catches. You might consider reting after big fish it couldn't hurt.

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey, congrats on the new best! I almost always retie my knots after a big fish or a really rough fight in heavy cover. Kind of a pain but it also sucks to lose a big fish and then second guess if you should have retied. I use 40 pound big game for a leader and also use the palomar knot with great success. Chris

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I always check my leader and knots after each fish.

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That the best not around for retaining stength and it's pretty easy to remeber!

Every couple of catches I cut off and start over. But always check my line every time I reel in!

I also Snell my hooks makes em hang right and it retains 100% of it's strength!

Good Luck on the water!

Josh

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wayne,

Where abouts on the river were you fishing? When you say along the channel do you mean you were fishing like you would during the day? We went out saturday and were fishing the more shallow water...6 to 14 ft of water, and we never even got a bite! I am just looking for some pointers!

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Wayne its always Best to retie after a big fish. But like yourself I've been Guilty of the same thing and it has cost me like it did You.Just to much in a hurry to get the rod back in the water and catch the next one. Congratulations on Your PB. thank you for Sharing, Your friend and Brother From Iowa. J.D.Straka.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Always retie after a big fish. And always check your line for any nicks or abrasion after landing a fish or getting hung up - be sure to check several feet above your swivel or 3-way or whatever also. I think it's also a good idea to keep your line between your fingers when reeling in and if you notice a nick along the way, don't be afraid to strip off a bunch of line to guarantee you're using smooth, strong line.

Dad lost a nice fish last time we were out because he didn't check his line - it broke off right above the hook where there was an obvious nick.

10. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    welcome to the boc. good catch, and keep posting, thanks for sharing

11. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Nice catches there, I always check my line for knicks, cuts, etc after each fish. And if I find anything wrong with the rig I fix the line before the next cast. I always use the three way swivel rig setup for the river. Normally I only have a problem with the line going to the hook, so I just switch out that line. But after a big one like that one I would tie a whole new rig setup to be on the safe side.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good catch......beats mine

13. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Congratulations on the thirty pounder Wayne. I've been chasing cats around for somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 years and I'm still trying to break out of the twenty something bracket. I think I may actually make it now with the help of some of the guys on this site. You'll probably hear me shouting when I do it.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I retie my knot after a big one and then every time I go back fishing and I always use a palomar knot.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great catch Wayne. Thats a nice fish in anybody's book. Thx for sharing the story. As for retying, ALWAYS retie after a large fish, or after a snag. As well, I always run my fingers down the last 3 feet of my line and leader every time I rebait. If there is a nick, cut it out and retie it. That fish of a lifetime might just be the next bite, and I'm not going to lose him because of my equipment. If he beats me, he beats me but I'd wouldnt be happy if I knew I lost him because of being a little lazy which we all can be at times. Great Job on that Blue.

16. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    I caught him on cut carp. Every fish we caught was on this except two caught on shrimp.

17. Taslagi

Taslagi New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on a nice fish. I always check my knots after catching a good fish and retie if I see any fraying in the line.