My PB channel in Kinzua country

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by jolie, Aug 23, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Was the maiden voyage of my 'catfishing' canoe. Now if a canoe on a river in the middle of night doesn't sound too easy... You're right it isn't.:smile2:

I have been eyeing the confluence of the major local river and a small river. Access has always been difficult espacially at night... The police scans the park on the confluences shore and keeps away the fishermen.
    So it was natural to wonder if my canoe could make something of the this spot, that was like 2 miles from my house.

I spent the first hour or so, trying to untangle the anchor line! from there I tried drift fishing with some worms; nothing except for the occasionally skipping of the crawler over the rocks. upon coming into the major flow, I was no longer touching bottom. Clearly time to set anchor. Spent the next hour methodically removing removing weeds as the line swung into some deep submerged weeds. :confused2: Well after while with nothing, I decided that the fish must be closer to the shore. This Was not such a good idea. I got into snags big time. snagging 20# test in a canoe is more than frustrating.. cause when try to pull it out, you find yourself moving the canoe more than pressuring the line. and so you can picture this, right? dark night, in a heavily laden canoe two rods with me tugging on one, trying to get it free and causing the canoe to wildly swing one and then the other!:angry: I was SO lucky I didn't tipp it in a couple hours... but to be fair a couple weak bites.

Ok, I deduced.. I was on the right track but was just too far into the cover. Can I find a place with some current, some depth rather near the shore without excessive snags. Well, on the other side of the eddy, closer to where the two rivers meet...perhaps there flood waters of the encoming river would clear out any snags... it was a good deduction. A few times convinced me that though I was still dragging the carolina rigs as the canoe slowly swung in the current, there wasn't anything bad enough down there to catch... finally, a small little tapping. happened once, twice then after a break a bigger tug. It was then or NEver. And YES! I wasn't going to get skunked. :smile2: the fight seesawed, a little with at first the fish feeling a little small, than a later surge that spoke of a hefty weight. A catfish for the Net and Almost certainly, I thought confidently a catfish heavy to enter into my states Bragging channel catfish contest (7#+).

Well, when I got it into the light.. I'll admit I was dissapointed. :angry:this was an obese catfish FOR sure but it was only a rather humble 22" long? I've got longer-- but I'm sure I caught no heavier, with the fat gut. My el-cheapo walmart scale though refused to confirm what I though had to be 6+# fish. The scale calls it 5# 9oz.

With a girth of 15" and a length of 22" most weight estimators go around 6#3 to 6#6. Perhaps not the biggest catfish in PA, But I'm fishing the upper reaches of the river and the catfish run alittle smaller; its my PB. I payed some hairy dues to get it.

Attached Files:

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Bro it looks like that catfish ate the other catfish in the area. A definite slob. Looks worth the trip to me!!!!

Richard

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congrats on the new PB, sounds like you earned it on that trip.

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    That is one porked out catfish.

WTG on the new pb, and for braving the river in a canoe, in the dark! Wow!

Have to admit, you have me thinking about getting the kayak out. Probably not after dark though. :)

5. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    congrats jolie , i too just caught my PB channel cat last night . thanx's for share'n .

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    It's a fine line between bravery and stupidity and my balance aint what she used to be.

Richard

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats Jason. Always cool to set a new PB. :wink:

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the new pb.

that is one fat cat

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a new PB

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congratulations on a new personal best channel catfish Jason, now fish down river a little and get some of those flathead catfish.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Jason on the PB Channel Cat! :cool2: You have earned it! :wink:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new PB Channel cat :cool2:. Thanks for the story and the pics.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Great job, jason!

Now it's time to get a flat!

14. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    good job :)

15. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    congrats, It only takes one fish to make the trip a good one.

16. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Congrats on the PB...you earned it for sure!

17. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Congrats on the new PB. It sounds like you earned it for sure.

18. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the PB Jason.:big_smile:

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I gotta laugh at you a little I have a canoe too:roll_eyes:Lessons you never forget(LOL)

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Big CONGRATS on the pb ya earned it!