My part time job.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by rush_60, Feb 28, 2009.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I'm working a part-time job at a hog plant. Its a pretty nice job. They pay me to hand out bandaids and asprin, and if anything more serious comes up I have to deal with that too. Anyway they can get me buckets upon buckets of large blood clots that they clean out of the heart during the butchering process. This would be the same thing as congelead blood, for bait, wouldn't it? How would you store this?

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Casey I would talk to Caleb (MANDINGO) he knows all about blood bait.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Casey another person to talk to is John Jamison he talked about the way he made his it at last years KC sports show.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    idk id probally use freezer ziplock baggies with the air squeezed out. you could throw some cut bait in the bag and let it soak up the blood :wink:

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Casey you might get a couple of boxes of wheaties and make you up some doughballs out of them then soak them in the blood for a few days.Then you could freeze doughballs in baggies.Wheaties makes real tough doughballs.

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Most of the stuff I've read talks about chicken blood, Casey. Not saying that
    hog's blood is that much different to a catfish. Chicken livers I've had some
    experience with and I wrap them in gauze before I put them on a hook. I wonder if that would work with a glob of congealed hog's blood?

7. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I make a lot of blood bait but use only beef I have heard that the pork blood will not work as well. Not sure if that is true or not. Would be interested if it works for ya . I have access to both. To bad ya didn't work at the chicken plant ! :smile2::smile2::cool2:

8. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Casey,im with Vic,i use beef and have heard pork dont congeal the way you need it to but i have never tried it also.
    if it does congeal thick enough,i would'nt see why it should'nt work.if you do end up making a batch and need some tips give me a shout

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Are these clots coming from the labor force or the hogs?:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2:. Casey, I've tried pigblood when my beef blood source dried up. Not the same results, for me any way. Just chunk it up and freeze it in a butter dish.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Michael, you're stuttering again, how beers you have tonight?:wink::roll_eyes::smile2:

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Does it just not get firm enough? I'll let you know what I find out if I get some. They are just throwing these clots away so it would be great if I could use them.

12. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    put em in the same plastic containers that chicken livers and gizzards come in. it'll be economical and you can thaw it out on the water for chumming.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Just 3 Jim. Behaving myself. Amber Bock and a Lowenbrau...

14. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Casey I'd be interested in putting some in my soybean buckets for a little extra stink um' added to my chum. I don't know if it would work for blood bait. I do know that Catdaddy shumway puts blood in his chum and he also grinds up fish for chum too.Bass Pro and Cabela's sell saltwater style grinders I'm thinkin' I might try to get one.I've heard of soaking wood chips in blood and chumming rivers with them.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds very interesting.

16. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We used to use beef blood all of the time in lakes. We would just use butter dishes and freeze them. this stuff worked great, but you have to be careful with it, it comes apart really easy. We used to drift with it. We would use little to no weight, maybe a split sopt is all. put a snap swivel on and then take a treble hook and put it up through the blood and then snap it on the snap swivel. Let it freespool until it hits the bottom and drift along with it. The blood would leave a heck of a trail. Make sure you are either holding onto you rod or have it secured in a rod holder, because when they hit, they hit it hard.

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Have used chicken blood alot back when you still could get it but have never tried hog blood.

Best way to find out is let it set in a 5 gallon bucket for about three day's with a lose lid.Drain off the juice everyday then add some brown sugar,rock salt and some pure anise oil.The more salt you add the tougher it gets.

Take and put in small containers and freeze with a little juice.

Save the juice to chum a area you are fishing.

One of the best rivers I used blood in was at Melvern.Make some up and we can test it out there.:wink:

18. CatAttack08

CatAttack08 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    LOL- Already Tom, it is only 4:40 in the afternoon. Just kidding> Actually I've had a few my self-Got off work early and finally trying to find my way around the BOC(or internet even) By the way if you don't remember me, I'm Kyle's cousin.

19. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If you can get it bring a couple buckets of that stuff to Melvern like Tom
    says. 10 gals of congealed hog's blood ought to wake the cats up and
    bring them out to investigate even if it's a dull day for them. We could
    add that to whatever other chum folks bring and stack the deck in our
    favor. We caught cats at the last gathering; maybe we could make it
    sort of a habit to do so.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Talk about a part time job. When I visited Kyle today, did he ever have a big surprise for me. Kyle and his brother Todd told me about this job I could have if I wanted it, no strings attached, wouldn't cut into my fishing time either:cool2:. They showed me what I'd be doing, it would be kinda hard to describe, so I took some pictures of what I'd be doing, but won't be able to post them, don't have the hookup I need to transfer the pics to my computer till I get home tomorrow. What's really nice, I'd only have to come to Wichita every month and a half or so to full fill my obligations to keep the job, so I accepted, Lydia was a little apprehensive about it, but I convinced her I could handle it, it's gonna be great, plus I get to come visit and Catfish with Kyle.