My own pond.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Fry Guy, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I finally found the place I've been looking for. I just got a three bedroom house on 160 acres with two small farm ponds. The larger pond is probably about 1/4 acre pond and about 15-20 feet deep. The guy that used to live there said that it had catfish put into it years ago but wasn't sure what was in it now so I decided to give it a try last week. I fished for about an hour without a bite, then one of my poles bent. It turned out to be a 10lb blue which was a pleasant surprise for me. After I let him go 2 minutes later my other pole bent and that turned out to be a 15lb channel which I know isn't a monster but it's a personnel best for me. A couple days ago I went back out and caught another 10.5 lb blue and a 14.5 lb blue so I'm quite happy with my new place. Hopefully there's a 20lber in there somewhere. I also have allot of deer and turkey so I think I'll get back into hunting.

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Welcome to the BOC, Sounds like you have a mighty fine place. What state ya from ? I noticed your profile is not filled out, that's why I'm asking.
    New home new place to fish, personal best. Man sounds like you have found heaven !

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Sorry I haven't been on this site in a while and somehow my user info got erased I guess when they changed everything. I'm originally from Oregon but have been here for abouth three years now. I just started catfishing last summer so it's still pretty new to me. I'm dying to catch something over 30lbs.

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Ben, you are one lucky man.
    Sounds like my "dream home". Thats what I'd love to have, a bunch of land with a pond.
    Good luck and congrats on the move.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    You are a lucky man!
    Bill:)

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice catfish dude!!!

Welcome to the BOC!!!!

Your lucky that you have a pond on your property! One of my dreams!! Good luck on the water!!!

Josh

7. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Looks like ya got it made,Fryguy.Most of us have to die before we go to heaven.

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna start feeding them (see how fat they can get):) I haven't seen any minnows in the pond and it doesn't have any cover for the fish but they all look fat and happy so there must be something in there for them to eat. There are some bass in the pond so I guess that could be part of there diet. If anybody has any tips on pond upkeep it would be much appreciated.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds like a very nice place Fry.
    If you get some floating catfish food from a feed store they will soon get use to you feeding them and you will be able to see how many you have in there.
    Most people I know bang on the side of a coffee can or bucket and they will all come right up to you and feed on top of the water, once they realize your feeding them daily.
    You may want to put a gallon of minnows in for them to eat, you can buy these thru your feed stores also.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You've lucked into a small paradise, fry guy! Best of luck. I lived out in Oregon for a few years when I was a young kid, finished 2nd grade there before we moved back to SC. I've always wanted to go back, but haven't made it. I do still have some of Dad's relatives out there, but haven't seen any of them now in about 10 years.
    Welcome back to the BOC!

11. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Oregon is a great state the only drawback is the lack of catfishing. If you like salmon, trout(all kinds), bass, sturgeon and some great ocean fishing just to name a few it's not to shabby at all. I think what I miss the most are the mountains and the ocean(and my family:sad: ) but the great catfishing here helps make up for it.:)

12. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man it sounds like you got a place like I was trying to get. If you need any help with the hunting or fishing just let me know. And good luck on your new place.

Dave

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If possible hang a light over the pond. Many insects will fly in and get eaten. I saw an article about using a wirecloth box suspended above the water with road kill on it. The flys lay eggs adn the maggots drop into the water. Goldfish are easy to raise and in a horse tank with some cover breed like mad. Seines and cast nets may be of help for bait fish. Here they often use catfood. Dry cheap stuff. Not sure if it would affect flavor tho. Enjoy your pond.

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Great buy.
    No excuses about having to travel to fish.Good luck with your new place.
    Are there "gills" or other baitfish in the pond?

BILL

15. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Be carefull feeding the fish because the fish will start to relie on you to feed them, I have fished a few ponds that were feed, I had a terrible time catching the fish because they were feed the majority of the time.

chris

16. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I've decided against feeding them regularly I think I'll just inprove the baitfish population in my pond. I already have some bluegill in it so I may just add to that or also add some goldfish. There are also some bass in the pond. It's about 25 feet deep and I want to add more catfish to it but I would like some input on how many catfish a pond that size can sustain if supplied with sufficient food.

17. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I think the size of the pond also depends on the size the fish will get, a smaller pond will produce smaller fish then a larger pond since they have more room to grow and sometimes more fish to feed on.

chris

18. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
  19. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I just walked some more of my place the other day and discovered a smaller pond so decided to fish it a little and it's loaded with about 1lb bass. I caught about 20 of them and just kept a few to fry up. They were pretty tasty. I found out I had allot more land than I thought.:rolleyes:

20. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get ahold of your local Game Warden and he will help ya with what you want to do,alot of info and most if not all is free.