my only prob with circle hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oklahoma caveman, Apr 22, 2008.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    is that i really, really, for some unknown reason, like to set the hook. it just feels good to rear back on a good fish to me. am i the only 1 with this affliction? or are there more like me

2. MidOhioCat

MidOhioCat New Member

State:
    Columbus, OH
    You're not the only one, that's why I switched back away from them. I could feel myself take the bait right out of their mouths.

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It`s hard not to swing on a fish for most people I think.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Like a lot I tried circle hooks . they just don't work for my stile of fishing. I went back to kahle and j hooks.

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I agree, the first time I fished 'em I woulda sworn they were made by PETA. Then I figured out how to use 'em and hooked a few fish, but still don't like 'em.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its not a big deal for me..........................I like catching more fish. Once the hook is set I "reset" it just to be sure, that's how I get my fix.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Fred, the circle hooks may just not be for you. I've been using circle hooks for some time now and don't mind having the fish hook themselves at all. I fish up to 13 rods and by the time I make it to the other side of the boat the fish is hooked. Fighting the reel out of the holder is a pretty good rush to me ; )

If ya aint happy or miss the hook set feeling then go back to your old hooks. Then you send me your left over circles since you wont need them anymore ; )

-Jim-

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Switch back or use kahles. With the kahle hook ya can roll either way.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I first tryed them I would Not have gave 10 cents for a tk. load , But once I got used to theh I love them Lets me fish lots of rods !

10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Just starting to use them. It will be hard not to set the hook but a person can get used to anything. Dont give up on them to soon. Be sure to give them a chance. I still use kahal hook on one rod. Maybe a mistake on my part using two different style hooks but time will tell.

Tom

11. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:My good friend Joe Dunbar got me to use them two years ago and after setting the hook a couple of times and pulling out the bait i got the hang of it and would never go back.I feel that it has improved my fishing at least40%To me they are the only way to fish cut bait

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    In a heavy current situation like I fish (the Missouri River), an active fish won't give you time to set the hook. When they hit, they're already hooked and your rod is doubled over in the rod holder. The circle hook is by far the best choice for my situation.

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree, Kahles are the best of both worlds!

14. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Everyone loves to set the hook whether they need to or not. When you pick that rod up 1st thing you do is rear back on the line to turn that fish. You are not alone.

15. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    well im glad im not the only 1. just to clarify tho, kahle hooks work like circle hooks to? i wasnt aware of that. iv always just used j hooks, thought id try the circle due to all the hype.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

A good sharp kahle hook will load up and set itself just like a circle. At least thats what I've found in usein them. Like any hook sharpness and hook point exposure is critical. Give em a shot. Ya won't be dissappointed.:wink:

17. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
  18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive found that i do better if i set it again like hilljack said, let the fish pull the rod down for a couple seconds and then slowly rip their lips off.

19. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use kahle hooks with live bait (bluegill, suckers or shad) when fishing for flatheads. Circle hooks seem to be too big and harder to slip through live bait and usually winds up killing it too soon. When using cut bait for channel cats I've found that nothing else beats circle hooks. Like others, I put out several rods in holders sunk at least 8 to 10 inches into firm ground. The fish simply hook themselves. On a couple of occassions last summer I found myself fighting one fish while another loaded up on one of the other rods. Neither fish got away. They stayed hooked up until I could clear the other rod to reel them in. A local tackle shop owner told me late last summer that a complany was supposed to be coming out with a thinner wire circle hook especially for live bait. I haven't seen it yet but will let everyone know how it works whenever they are delivered.

20. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love circle hooks, and to me, the rush I get when the rods starts tappin, then bending all the way over, is just as good as good as the rush I get when I rear back on a good one. But when Im flathead fishin at night with live bait, I use regular 9/0 Gamakatsu Octupus Hooks, that way I can rear back on a flathead thats just sittin there with the bait in his mouth.