My Oleander pictures

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by jholl949, Jun 10, 2007.

1. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Here's a couple of pictures of an oleander plant bought three years ago in Phoenix.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike you must be given that plant a lot of tender love and care. I see it is already taller than your fence. Good job. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Really pretty. There are some planted along the fence by our local horse race track that have been there for years and are about 8ft tall & probably about 5ft around! They are so full, & just covered in flowers. Everytime I see them, I tell myself, I've got to get one of those! But I haven't so far. Good luck with it; they make a beautiful bush.

4. oldgrowler

oldgrowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    WOW Mike they are beautiful. Donna must have been giving them her attention. LOL Nice job with em.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Very nice Mike, I wish I could grow anything. A cactus can't survive in my house. Anyway, keep up the good work.

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for showing the pictures, Mike! Far as I know, never have seen oleander growing. In fact, I had it in my head that it was a sort of spice or herb (maybe was thinkin of coriander? who knows :confused2:) Anyhow, I looked it up after seein your photos and - you may already know this, but the plant has an ancient history -
    ( excerpted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleander )

"Records of the medicinal use of oleander date back at least 3500 years. The Mesopotamians in the 15th century BC believed in the healing properties of oleander and the ancient Babylonians used a mixture of oleander and licorice to treat hangovers. Roman soldiers also regularly took an oleander extract for hangovers. Pliny, the Elder of ancient Greece, wrote about the appearance and properties of oleander.
    Arab physicians first used oleander as a cancer treatment in the 8th century AD."

There's alot more info at that site, including the note that the leaves and flowers are deadly to most critters, but when mixed with wine, can be a remedy for snakebite. Interesting plant!