My old new boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by CraigO, Dec 18, 2008.

1. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    Got my first boat today, a 16' aluminum. It's an '82 boat with an '88 60hp Johnson. It was a project boat for somebody else and I bought it incomplete. All the carpet, storage areas, floors, and trailer are done and look great. But the boat is really bare. It's got a trolling motor (wireless) and a fishfinder. The fellow before me had purchased bow and stern lights for it and a bilge pump but hasn't installed them. I also want to add a few other elecronic items... problem is I am clueless on this kind of stuff so I'm asking for yalls input (by the way, don't laugh at my ridiculous questions. I'm new at this and I want to get it right). :big_smile: The boat has new 12 volt and 24 volt batteries. My first question is can I wire my bow/stern lights to either battery or will I fry something if I wire them to the 24? I don't know what kinds of things need to wired to which battery. Eventually I want to have a couple of anchors and a plug for a spotlight. I have a little money and time to work on the boat so I will update as I go. Thanks in advance for any help.advice.

2. boost3782

boost3782 New Member

State:
    USA
    First of all welcome to the BoC. Now onto your questions. For your nav lights wire to the 12v batt only. If you wire them to something past 12V they will smoke. I suggest getting a panel from bass pro or even just a decent switch from the auto parts store/radio shack and wire them to that with a fuse. Very easy to do.

As for the 12V plug for a spot light that is also easy. You can buy the plug as Bass Pro for around 5-10 bucks and it wires to a 12V source like your nav lights. You can also put that on a master switch setup for when your out using the boat. Make sure to use an Inline fuse about 12 inchs or less off the batt. connection.

Good Luck

3. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    First off congratulations on the new boat.

Id hook the lights and stuff to the battery your using to start your engine.That way you dont drain the juice for the trooling motor.

Question- are the wires for the engine hooked up?

4. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    The engine runs off the 24, which is located in the back of the boat. There are 2 12 v's in the front.

5. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Oh, theres 2 12lvs. Id wire the lights and stuff to one of the 12lvs. in that case. And like boost said I would definately use in-line fuses for the lights the horn, and the bilge.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    congrats on the new boat now first thing you gota do is post some pics we love pics lol we cant help work on a boat if we cant see it also pics of the progress is a must we like to see ouer ciber work come to life lol:cool2:

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if there are 2 batteries up front that would lead me to believe that the trolling motor (which should be up front ) is 24 volt. and one of the bats. in the back would be for the starter of the boat and the other for the electronics, all electronic are 12 volt. bildge pump, live well, lights, lighter, best thing is to get a hot bar which hooks to the battery and makes connections easy for all your electronics, in line fuses are cheap and easy and can save ya from burnin something up, i stripped down a jon boat and completly redid it with new wiring and wood, carpet, seats, you name it i replaced it, great learning experience and handy ta know if ya ever have ta trouble shoot anything:wink:

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Big welcome aboard! sounds like ya got yerself a toy(LOL) If ya know nothing at all about wiring I would find someone to help you it is a pain in the toosche & it dont take alot to burn something up...questions asked could save ya lot of grief dont be fraid of askin round here there is alot of great folks round here that know there stuff.GOOD LUCK!

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh and what my man Dallis said...PICTURES & ALL yeah we like them and reports too..:roll_eyes:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome bro... Kenny calm down.. grab a coldun fer ya and relax.. the man will get some pic.s ... patience my friend:tounge_out::big_smile: rollo

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the new boat.

make sure you use either heat shrink tubing or heat shrink butt connectors on all the wiring connections to keep your connections from corroding and breaking at the worst possible times.

also,i would take what is called dialectric grease,which is a non-conducting grease,brown in color,and put around the connections on switches to keep them from corroding also.
    and make sure that you run the right sized wire or larger for your electrical,run too small a gauge and you can toast the wire and start a fire.

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    congrats on the boat and welcome to the BOC

13. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    OK, I'll try to put up a couple of pics in a day or 2. What kind of screws work best for fastening things like cleats, anchor winch, rod holders to an aluminum boat?

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    some type of stainless, that way no rust

15. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Hey bro, congrats on the boat, I'm sure you'll love it. Also welcome to the BOC. Props on the good questions.

16. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    OK, if I can figure out how, I'm posting a pic of the boat. Had a buddy come over and teach me about boat wiring yesterday and we wired up the running lights and the live well. We wired into a 4 switch panel. The pedestal you can in the pic is not mounted, in fact it's broken and not any good. It's just sitting there. Any advice on buying and mounting pedestal seats?

17. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    boat

Attached Files:

18. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    one other thing... is it best to fasten cleats and rod holders to the deck or to the gunwale tubing?

19. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    Also, updated the profile pic... me, the dog, and the baby girl

20. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thanks for the new pics, boat looks great!