my old boat project

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kansas_catman_16, Mar 11, 2009.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    im about to start on my boat during spring break:roll_eyes:. its an old 72' newman fish & ski. with an 85hp motor:confused2:. gotta replace the motor. redo the floor and seats. need new tires:crazy:. if anyone knows were i can get some flooring,upholstery,or a motor let me kno through PM all help will be appreciated:big_smile: Pics coming soon

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    There is a 85hp motor for sale in the classified section. Moberly MO is where he is at.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You got a sure nuf money pit on your hands:wink:

With the economy the way it is, I'd shop for a whole used rig water ready.
    You'll come out on top. Alot of people getting rid of the toys.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Yeah boats are a pain in the behind...I'd look for one on craigslist or somethin.Buying just a motor is more expensive than buying the whole boat.A lot of times guys are trying to get rid of their stuff and they will throw in all the acoutrements {anchors, life jackets,paddles rod holders etc} and even some fishing tackle.Sounds like a lot of work staying home when you could be fishing.Let's go fishing.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

those old fiberglass boats arent worth fixing most times you tear one open and see everything is rotten. chop it up with a chain saw and find a good heavy jon boat or the like will never rot on ya

6. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    ya thats probably wat im gonna do instead of tryn to fix it i found a good fish & ski for only 8000 practically brand new

7. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    yall think i should get rid of the boat for a newer model if so idk who would take it since its pretty much a project boat

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Something like this 16" Bass Trackerwould make you a good starter boat without near the headache, and probably cost less in the long run.
    Rebuilding one is fun, if you've got plenty of time and money.

9. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas

i was thinking more of a deep-V boat i do alot more lake fishing at cheney and eldorado resevoirs here

10. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    these are some pictures of the boat as u can see a lil wore out. floor messed up its a real headache:embarassed: what u think i could get for it

Attached Files:

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Whats wrong with the motor?

12. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    it wont turn over all it does is sputter when u turn the key. its shot i think its over 30yrs old. if it wasnt for that i'd keep the boat. i just dont want to spend money on a motor that'll be worth more than the boat

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Just cuz its thirty years old don't mean its SHOT !! hell I'm way past that and still going !! :smile2: You may have a bad battery conection,bad cable,dead battery,bad starter itself, and a number of other things that COULD be wrong !! I have a motor that was built in 1964 runs like a champ !! :smile2::smile2: But looks like the boat itself is a P.O.S. :smile2::smile2:

14. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    :smile2: ya i guess ur right. but vic we've tried everything on that motor i really do think its SHOT :smile2:

15. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well thats yur call I guess. You mentioned before that you found a boat was only $8000.00 If you are wil ing to spend $8000.00 on a boat WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YA MESSIN WITH THIS ONE FOR !!! (or did I miss some thing ?) :confused2:

16. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    we've had it for a couple years and its only hit the water 3 times because of the motor were just now getting to where we can get another boat :cool2: instead of messin with this one

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Pull it to Eldorado and pull the plug.
    Come home with an empty trailer and sell the trailer.
    Probally get more for the trailer alone then the whole thing on the trailer.

You gotta understand the economics of buying and owning boats.
    They suck.
    A brand new hull is basicly worthless without a motor on the back of it so a used hull is worth even less. Like pay somebody to make it go away.
    Most of the boats people on this site use will have a motor worth alot more then the boat it's bolted to.

Even in the SKA boats when you start bolting 60 grand worth of engines to the transom.

Old motors are fine until you need some parts.
    I've got a name brand engine from the late 80's that is difficult if not impossible to find some parts for.
    Fuel mileage. Gas aint going to stay cheap if a politician has anything to do with it. It's too easy to control people with it's cost.
    Old motors suck at fuel mileage. Even my '87 model.
    I had a 363V Ranger that held 52 gallons of fuel. I didn't have to try real hard to burn it all either.

If you are going to finance anything about a boat make sure you are getting a new motor. It's the motor you are buying.

18. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Why would you suggest that even jokingly? There is enough shit in our waters without someone urging someone to add more.
    Joe, I do agree with Mark, that its not worth messing with, but do the responsible thing, and haul it to NC, and dump it on a county road.:wink:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Brother we sink aircraft carriers we don't want anymore.
    NC itself has a reef program in place.

My first thought was to strip the numbers off it including serial numbers and drop it off several blocks away but then you would be leaving the trailer behind.

Fish habitat makes more sense.:wink:

But if you want to spend a little money put it on Craig's list offering a hundred bucks to the first person to hook to it and pull it off.

20. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    i think ur right. im prolly just gone put it on craigs list and have someone haul it off for me :roll_eyes: but ima wait till i have that new boat in ma backyard:wink: