My old barracks in 1954-56 and today.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jan 19, 2010.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    An old USAF friend sent me this recent picture of our barracks where we lived 1954-56.
    The next picture is the back side of the barracks taken in 1954.

The AF closed their bases in Newfoundland in the 60's, they gave the buildings to the Newfoundland government. Today they're public housing.

I was on the island of Newfoundland last October but on the other side.

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Interesting before and after pictures, thanks for sharing. Question who did you pizz off to get stationed at Newfoundland ? LOL Reminds me of a couple of my SAC TDY's

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's neat,thanks for sharing!!~~Sister Pat:Happy:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Quite a facelift,Dayton. Thanks for the pics.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I really enjoyed my time Newfoundland. I had heard how great it was to be station in Newfoundland from a guy that had been there 3 years with his family. And he was correct, it was everything he said and more. I enjoyed it so much I never went home on leave in those 2 years. While there, the only bad duty I had was going TDY to Greenland for 6 weeks.
    My very worse duty in my 3 year, 10 month career was 15 months on a SAC base near Rapid City, SD.

6. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Thats Really Neat !!! Thanks for Sharing it looks like the same foundation and that awning looks to be in the same general area as the old side door Pretty Neat !!!

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was at Thule Greenland twice TDY. 1963 and again in 65. Have no desire to see it again lol . Thule AFB Greenland, The land of waving palms (hand waving bye bye) LOL:err::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Come on guys the USAF didn't have any bad duty that I ever found. LOL 76-80
    Later Andy

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    You should have took the 6 month all expence paid vacation (TDY) to Shemya Air Force Base. Rain,snow,sleet,hail sunshine and wind. ALL AT THE SAME TIME,,,, LOL :island::island::island:

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was on top of P Mountain radar station, north of Thule, it was quite balmy up there . LOL
    No, it was a real experience, I wouldn't take for that 6 weeks but not something I would want to repeat.

I agree Andy, it was all a good experience that help turn my life in the right direction. Just some places I like better than others.