My "Oh No" moment

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by CatHunter24, Dec 7, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Saturday got the boat out briefly to run it since it had not been ran since labor day. I had not had time to put stabil in that day and didn't plan on it sitting that long. Needless to say I already was expecting a bad day at the ramp and figured I would find the boat not willing to start or that I have gummed up my carbs (only thing that had me clinging to hope is that my motor is a Yamaha and they are dang good motors and pretty tolerant).

Long story short, I put the boat in the water, and after a few tries get her to fire up and sounding strong. Then my stomach dropped. No water was coming out the "pee hole". I hurried up, as i was already off the trailer and beached the boat and turned it off. After fiddling around a while and cursing, figuring it was an impeller problem. I looked at the pee hole after tilting the motor up and found that it looked to be clogged. After disconnecting the tube to the pee hole, i confirmed my suspicion by starting the motor up and water coming out the tube. After straightening out a hook I pushed the heavily caked dirt out of the hole and reattached the hose, all was good as new. I have been told mud dobbers sometimes do this or it just somehow gets dirt particles packed together and stops up at times. Either way I wanted to share this story so if anyone ever had a similar problem they may be able to try this and possibly find the problem quicker than I did. :smile2:

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Someone is using my name in vain:smile2::smile2:

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah around here if you let your boat sit for 3 or 4 weeks you'd BETTER check that pee hole.them dirtdobbers will stop up any hole they can find.glad you caught tho.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Glad you got it figured out!! Thx for the reminder!!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    We don't see this commented on much but most of us has had this problem. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you caught it in time. Thanks.

6. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    You're right mickey, I don't know why I never thought about it being a common problem, but I guess being new to boat ownership I didn't thing about the little things that could be clogged and simply fixed right off the bat. Guess with my luck I figured it was a major problem right away, assuming the worst.

I'm sure most guys have had this problem, and this post seemed redundant, but many a few newbies like me will read this and save them some time and possibly equipment failure. :confused2:

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would have overlooked it:eek:oooh:

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep a small tool set on the boat and one of the things is a 12inch chunk of bailen wire just in case a dirt dobber, sand, mudd ect clogs the pee hole. I also keep a plug wrench, spare plugs, screw drivers and a few wrenchs onboard. Never know when pluggs are gona foul out on ya ect. Other good things to have spare prop and parts and spare fuel connectors, spare fuel filter. I had a fuel connector go bad 2 times on me cause the ethenal mixed with fuel softens and swells the rubber rings in the connection. Also if ya boat is gona sit for a few weeks to months put Sea Foam or Stabil in the fuel and Runn the motor every few weeks just a start up and shut down. I also keep my Batterys on a charger-stablizer just so they stay fully charged and hot.

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Curtis i,m glad for you that it was just a stopped up hole an not a impeller problem .

10. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

All great advice welder, thanks. I keep some tools, including zip ties, duck tape, plug wrench and plugs. I need to get more fuel fittings and filters as well as a spare prop. Been wanting that prop for awhile but they are expensive but i know invaluable so you are not dead on the water. I too use a stabilzer charge system...but i plug it in every so often to maintain the batteries, maybe i should run it constantly? I know that the ethanol in fuel today is playing havoc on marine engines....so I ran a good 10 gals of stabil treated gas through the outboard. Shouldn't sit for more than 2 weeks at most now anyhow. :wink:

11. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I'm glad that was all it was.Had the same thing happen to mine about three weeks ago. Sure gives you a bad feeling in your gut when you look back and don't see anything coming out.

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Might want to add a prop wrench...that spare prop is worthless with out a prop wrench!!lol:smile2::smile2::wink:

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did forget to add a wrench for the prop in the list lol. Its just the lil things that can beat down a BIG problem :big_smile: