My Nine Point

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Fordman, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I took this nice 9 pointer on November 12th, 2005 at 15 yards with my bow. He field dressed at 119 pounds.

Attached Files:

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Nice buck, congradulations.

-brian

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    thats a pretty deer it would make a cool skull mount!!!!!

4. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    nice buck,i've been trying with the bow,no luck yey.. :confused: :confused:

5. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Funny you should mention that John. Here is the skull, just not mounted yet. Stoney, I have been at it for years with a bow. This is the biggest buck that I have ever taken. When it comes to Archery, any deer that is within range, whether you take the shot or not, is STILL a trophy.

Attached Files:

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Great deer Fordman! I'm sure it feels even better being taken by bow.

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    great buck and awsome shot :thumbsup: job well done.

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Fordman I like the way you think. Thats a fine animal you got there. Could you tell the story behind that Buck. Thats going to be good looking mount as well. Thats the next mount I will do is a skull I really like that type of look.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Nice Buck Fordman!!

10. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
  11. mcclinj

mcclinj New Member

State:
    Ligonier, PA
    Great Buck Fordman!!

-John

12. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    SSG Johnson (Chuck) asked to hear the story of the buck that I took this year, so here goes.

This hunt actually started Tuesday, November 8th. My brother Jud and I drove to our spot in Southern Oklahoma that evening to set camp. Wednesday morning it was out to the woods to check or hang stands.

Now my brother is fairly dead set in his hunting habits. He uses that same old tree year after year, and never does much more than clip a few branches from his shooting lanes. In the years since we started hunting that area together, the underbrush has increased to the point that he has but one shot from that tree, at 15 yards. If the deer is not right there, it ain't gonna happen and the wind has to be straight out of the north in order to get the deer to be right there. (He uses a little Tink's for persuasion.) There is one other shot, but it's about 40 yards and he will not try it.

Well, anyway, we checked his stand and it is still there and okay. We clipped one branch and headed back out to check my stand. Now being the extra smart guy that I thought I was, clearly thinking ahead, I had stashed a stand and a decoy in two seperate cedar trees last January. The decoy was actually my very well used McKenzie Doe that I had completely blown the shoulder out of from years of use. I patched that old girl up with some expanding foam and put her out to pasture in the cedar tree to await the coming season on decoy duty.

While we were walking over to my stand area, I noticed that there was some evidece of some controlled burning along the road (those Wildlife Department guys are trying to keep up with the briars). When we turned a curve in the road, I am looking at a blackened cedar tree with two large black lumps in it. (My cherished McKenzie, now a chunk of charcoaled foam). The whole area had been controllably burned up. I was trying not to cry :crying: , my brother was trying not to laugh :rolleyes: , but then I reminded him that this was the same spot where the 6 and 8 point bucks had walked past me within minutes of each other last year. All of the cover which had made it so inviting to the deer was gone. Although the trail that had been heavily used last year now appeared to be abandoned, there were some decent tracks scattered around the area and I decided to retreive my stand from the unburned cedar tree and hang it up. Having done that, we paid our last respects to the McKenzie and headed back to camp.

After some dinner and a shower it was time to hit the sleeping bags. With the alarms set for 4:00 am we soon fell asleep. Daylight came earlier than expected. About 11:00 pm the walls of the tent were illuminated by headlights. Albert had arrived. I got up for the greetings, made some room in the tent, and we all went back to sleep.

The next morning (Thursday) was a quick pot of coffee, snacks, and a drive to the parking area. The North wind of about 6 miles per hour was a definate plus. Upon arrival, we went through the usual routine, spray the appropriate areas with no scent spray, don the gear, and apply more spray, and start down the trail. At the first fork, I took Albert down about 200 yards to a small clearing and showed him where to set his ground blind. Then it was back to the main trail. My brother and I traveled the other quarter mile and parted company. My stand was still another eighth mile. I wound up climbing into the stand at 6:05 am. At about 9:00 am the wind changed and came out of the South.

10:00am, Armadillo. No deer

12:00 noon No deer.
    The wind is now about 15 miles per hour out of the south. I have had enough for the morning, and head back to the parking area. When I get there, my brother is laying between the vehicles in the shade, and Albert is nowhere to be seen. Jud utters the predictable phrase, "It's too hot and the wind is wrong", I'm calling the wife to come and get me. (He rode down with me). No problem;,, I'm going to see where Albert is at. Back at the blind site,......... No blind, no Albert. Okay, maybe I forgot where I put him, so I continue on down the trail. Another 100 yards and I spot the blind. I spoke toward the blind from behind a tree since I know that there should be a cocked crossbow in there. No answer, and now I am starting to worry. I approached and looked inside, no Albert. Okay I reasoned, Albert is stalking and he is probably in the creek bottom. 15 minutes later and we are heading back to the parking area together. Albert has seen two deer. After moving the blind, they came out right where he had been before. He also saw this rather large (400 lb) chunk of pork roaming around. He shot at it, but the bolt deflected on a branch. Thank you Lord.

Back at camp now and Jud is packing his stuff, except for this really cool decoy which he tells me to use. It's a Montana fold out doe, and it looks real, except that it's two dimensional. You can really only see it from the sides, but that has some advantage in certain circumstances. About 3:30 Juds wife arrives and he heads for home. Albert is worn out and we decide to forego the evening hunt. A couple of beers and some food, a shower, and some sleep.

Friday morning, 4:00 am. Same routine as before and I leave Albert at the fork in the trail. I have decided to hunt my brothers stand with the decoy. He said that he had an 8 point in there the morning before, but the shot was too long. (The 40 yarder) He actually encouraged me to give it a try. Well, I got off of the trail and did not find his stand. I wound up heading back to the burned area and setting out the decoy there just as the sun was coming up. After 12:30 arrived, and still having not seen any deer I decided that this burned area had become a nocturnal only crossing spot. I pulled my stand, packed the decoy and headed back to the truck. In the mean time, Albert had headed back to camp after not seeing any deer that morning. When I got back to camp, Albert had decided to head for home. This type of hunting is difficult for him because of his heart condition and the walking had taken its toll.

It's now Friday afternoon, and the plot thickens. What to do, what to do? Jud and I have been hunting this area together since 1998, but have never ventured to the south, mainly because neither of us had a GPS and it is really THICK in there. This year I have a GPS and now a plan. I will follow the fire road south until it ends, then start trekking west for 200 yards and return back to the fire road working the area in a grid pattern until I find something that looks promising.
    The very first leg of the grid opens into a nice clearing after about 30 yards. I thought to myself, this is perfect. I look around for a decent tree to hang a stand. Oops, there is the tree, and already, a stand is in it. Well, it's kind of a stand. It's actually some 2 X 4's nailed across a fork in the tree. I took a close look at the stand. It's got a pull rope tied to it already. I gave a tug on the 1/4" rope and it broke. There was moss growing on the steps that were nailed to the trunk, and it was undisturbed. This stand had not been used in several years. The tree is growing on the side of a hill at the north edge of the clearing. Perfect. I check my watch and it's 4:05 pm. I set my pack down and pulled out the decoy, set it up, and spray it with scent killer, then put one of my scent canisters on the ground underneath her. (Tinks #69). I moved the pack to the tree and dug out my own pull rope, stashed my stand under some leaves and started up the tree, checking the steps and the stand as I went. Everything was still solid, except for one branch that I could have used to lean on. Oh well, I was counting my blessings. I have been in the stand about 20 minutes when I hear a deer coming from the southeast. She pauses on the edge of the clearing about 50 yards away. She is watching the decoy. It's getting dark and she is still hesitating, but finally starts into the clearing. She actually walked with 10 feet of the decoy and stopped, then started walking again right past it. In the meantime, I have drawn down on the doe, but it's too dark for a good look at the sight pin so I let up and she just walked on out of the clearing. I waited about 15 minutes, then got my pocket flashlight out and got down. I carefully got everything picked up, and left.

Saturday morning, and I am in the tree at 5:45 am. The decoy is south of me, the wind is variable, changing back and forth from north to northeast. At 8:00 am I hear a tending grunt on the hill behing me. I slowly got myself turned around, (this took about 5 minutes as I was listening to that deer the whole time). Just when I was almost completely turned, the grunting stopped; had I spooked him off? I sat there unmoving for a couple of minutes. I did not really hear the deer, but I turned my head slowly back in the direction that I had been facing before and he was just stepping into the clearing, with his eyes locked on that decoy. I had no time to get really turned around, this guy was starting to move. I rotated at the waist while I started the draw. The buck came straight north with the decoy about 20 yards to his left, then turned toward it. I was about half drawn at this point, and then the arrow fell off of the rest, making a rattling sound as it did. Surprise, the buck did not falter, he was paying so much attention to the decoy that he never heard it. I was at full draw as the buck walked directly in front of the decoy, I used my thumb to push the arrow back up onto the rest. Remember that the decoy is two dimensional, and as the buck passed in front of it, it seemed to disappear. As he passed it, it seemed to reappear and he stopped and looked back at it. That was the moment. I squeezed the release and he took off like a bolt of lightening. Had I missed? At 15 yards? Then I thought to myself, no, I heard the arrow hit the ribs. I watched as the buck ran 20 yards and turned north, jumped two deadfalls, then turned back west. He ran another 50 yards, then faltered and fell within sight. That's when I had to put the bow down and hang on to the tree for a couple of minutes. It was not really necessary, but I got down and tracked along the blood trail to where he was laying. The picture of the deer in the leaves is just the way he looked when I walked up on him.

Well, that's it. I have been in that tree one more time since then, and I can truthfully say, It's a trophy tree for memories.

13. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    It may be my second time for that story but I still enjoy it. Good kill Mike.

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Nice Buck Mike congrats

15. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Mike, great story!! Felt like I was with you on that hunt!! This going in the library. If you want, you can re-write in the memorable fishing adventures section. It's not fishing of course, but that will be a good place for it til we get a hunting section made. Thanks for taking the time to write that account of your hunt. It was great reading.

16. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Mike, I figured out how to copy it over. It's here and also in the library. Thanks again.

17. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Great story Mike! How did you get that skull clean and white so fast???

18. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Thank you Bryan. Telling it again is almost as good as the hunt itself. I can still picture every detail.

19. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    nice deer and good story

20. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Now I am complete knowing the story..... thanks that was awsome allmost as good as being there.