The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,069 Posts
There seems to be a lot of talk about 2 stroke engine oil and how to add it. Do we even know if Justin needs to add oil? Has he found out yet?

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
I don't think we know yet Steve. If the motor has a good working oil injector system, it will be a mute point. If it has a non working system, it would be a pain. But if he needs to mix it himself, he will have a good handle on it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have not found anything that remotely looks like an oil reservoir. The only thing there is around the engine is a canister about the size of a car oil filter that is sealed pretty well and I think it's for the hydraulics to lift and lower the motor. So I'm going to say I add it directly to fuel. I have a guy coming too look at it that will hopefully shed further light.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,127 Posts
Justin,
In 1989 Force was "owned" by Mercury and there were many (supposedly over 50!) different versions of your 125hp motor assembled that year as Mercury used up a huge inventory of parts from Chrysler/Force/Mercury that were, in general, compatible.
Because of this you should use your engine number to figure out exactly which model you have and always have the number at hand when buying parts as some of the parts were not compatible and so just ordering something for a 1989 125hp motor may result in getting an incorrect part. Any repair shop worth their salt will know all this and ask you for the number.
If you plan to do any of your own maintenance, even the small stuff, I highly recommend you get a good shop/repair manual (different to the owners manual). Those motors are pretty simple and if looked after should do well for you.

Good luck at the BMV!!!

...W

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Winston for the info. I did a little search this morning when I couldn't sleep and found out a little bit but didn't put it all together like you just posted. It sounds to me from what what people say is that it's a reliable engine if taken care so I guess I'll learn to baby it. The previous owners did.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,127 Posts
Thanks Winston for the info. I did a little search this morning when I couldn't sleep and found out a little bit but didn't put it all together like you just posted. It sounds to me from what what people say is that it's a reliable engine if taken care so I guess I'll learn to baby it. The previous owners did.
Justin,
I don't know if you are aware of the bad rap Force outboards have got over the years to the point that a pretty cruel acronym: F.O.R.C.E. (F..... Old, Repainted, Chrysler, Engine) was coined by some harsh critics back in the day.
Truth is they were a basic, fairly cheap motor and as is human nature, those who want cheap usually don't want to pay for good maintenance or don't even realize it is needed and that in turn leads to poor reliability and reputation. That fact combined with their dislike of the (then) new fuel blends resulted in engine failures and more bad rap.
I don't know much about them but I have known a couple of old guys who've had them, taken care of them and got good service from them. Truth is, most... not all... but most problems with outboard motors are the result of them not getting the maintenance they should. You take care of it and it will take care of you.

...W

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
Justin, it will not take long before you give it WOT just to get it over with. There is nothing at all wrong with that. Since it may have set motionless for a time I would go easy on it for a few miles. Let it get good and warmed up first. Don't run it wide open for very long and then easy back and try to find that comfortable speed where it is on plane and sounding good. That is how most boats should be ran. Because of a small wake, all the bank fisherman will be grumbling a little as they think about being behind that wheel heading to big catfish waters.

Now all that is really just jabber. It is your boat and you are the Captain. Drawing from your past posts on here, you will do just fine, Captain. Watch out for icebergs.

·
Registered
Benbrook Texas
45 Posts
Yes, it is pretty, nice, and pretty nice! Congrats...

Scotty rod holders have served me well for several years. Adjustable, removable, flush mount, can mount three on one mount, extenders, other accessories. Look decent (black), can mount without reaching under it to put a nut on. Cabela's has an almost identical with their name on it and parts can interchange. The mounts will not be obvious when removed and won't affect your skiing or tubing.

I had two Force 50 HP motors, both lasted and ran well with no issues. I usually ran just a little heavy on 50:1 oil using 6 gallons, not the 6.whatever gallons. Break in is with double oil, so it won't hurt. Might foul the plug a little earlier, just buff it off fairly often.

I'd really like to see a picture of it both after you rig it and a year after fishing with it!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, it is pretty, nice, and pretty nice! Congrats...

Scotty rod holders have served me well for several years. Adjustable, removable, flush mount, can mount three on one mount, extenders, other accessories. Look decent (black), can mount without reaching under it to put a nut on. Cabela's has an almost identical with their name on it and parts can interchange. The mounts will not be obvious when removed and won't affect your skiing or tubing.

I had two Force 50 HP motors, both lasted and ran well with no issues. I usually ran just a little heavy on 50:1 oil using 6 gallons, not the 6.whatever gallons. Break in is with double oil, so it won't hurt. Might foul the plug a little earlier, just buff it off fairly often.

I'd really like to see a picture of it both after you rig it and a year after fishing with it!
Thanks Gary for the info, I was looking at Scotty. I fish for channel cats so I don't need the heavy duty holders and thought the Scotty would work great and are versatile. It is about time to put boats up here for winter so I'm not sure if I will do anything to it till spring. Even then probably put only 4-6 holders I'll just have to see. I really need to sell my other boat so I can buy a bow mount trolling motor for it. I have ideas for those few things now I just need momma to throw me more money haha

21 - 30 of 30 Posts