The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a boat that will fit my family. It's not the typical boats you find on here for catfishing as we only have a large open lake that have channel cats. Also I have 4 boys that want to be pulled on a tube so I had to make that decision. I found this boat it's a 1989 Maxum br with a 125 hp outboard. It was a single owner boat that was meticulously pampered. She never fished one day out of it in 31 years only skied so I feel ashamed to get it slimy....not! Ok I do I have my dad getting me some out door carpet so I can lay over the top of the original.
20200921_175404.jpg 20200921_175423_HDR.jpg 20200921_182429_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
701 Posts
Congrats Justin. May she bring you many happy days on the water.

Since you intend it to be duel purpose. All you need is a few road holders with flat bases. You can quickly remove the holders when its time for water sports.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congratulation on your new boat. It looks very good. It will work very well in local lakes, doing combo sports. Or it will work very good in large bodies of water, chasing mr big whiskers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone I'm super stoked to have found such a clean boat. It's flawless. Low I just have to learn how to run a 2 stroke outboard. Ive only owned an I/O and I was just learning that lol. I have an an appointment with dmv Friday then it will be registered and I can take it out. But in my driveway it purrs like a kitten.

·
Administrator
10,499 Posts
Not a lot of differences. Like any boat with an impeller cooling system, never even turn the engine over unless the impeller has water going to it.

Learn to mix your 50:1 Gas/oil. First buy a decent oil like Mercury, Johnson or Evenrude. There are other good oils also. Many will say to add 3 ounces of oil per gallon. That will work but I always liked to be a little more precise. A true 50:1 mix is 0.39 gallons of gas to 1 ounce of oil. Or 1.17 gallons per 3 0unces. You can make up a mixture chart or get a good mixture cup with the proper markings.

When you store it, always have the motor lowered. That will let all the water in the motor drain so it will not freeze.

Teach yourself to always check an see that the motor is pumping water (peeing) when you start the motor.

Nice looking boat Justin

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom
Do you mix it before you put it in the boat or can I pump it in at gas station and then add oil per chart I would make per gallon that I added. Hope that made sense it's late lol. The chart sounds like a great idea. And I was told that if you have to much oil it will smoke for a minute but that is better than not enough oil i don't know if that is true. But you don't want to over do it either. I think your precise method is what I'll use thank you.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
701 Posts
Justin,
By using the ratio recomended for my motor. It worked out to. 1 pint (16 oz.) for 6 gallons of gas. This worked out great for me. Even though i bought oil in the gallon jugs. I had a couple of see thru 16 oz. bottles. They had the oz. marked. Id keep the pint bottles filled. When prepping to go to the lake. I would just pour 1 or 2 of them in. Then id either go get gas in cans or pull the boat to the station.

Youll just have to see how much gas you use on a normal trip.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,082 Posts
Justin your engine should have the pump on it that auto mixes. You will need to find that out before you you take it out. I would imagine it does unless the previous owner removed it due to problems. There should be an oil reservoirs in a compartment in the rear. If you find out it must be mixed a marked cup is really simple to use and available at Wal-Mart for just a couple of bucks. It has the ratios listed with markings for oil to gas amounts. Oil can be mixed before or after filling with gas. I like to add oil before I fill so the turbulence will mix it it. This works well if you know how much gas you are going to pump. If you don't know just add the oil for the amount of gas you know you will pump. If you are short on oil top it off with the needed amount. Also it always good keep an extra quart or two (gallon if you have room) of oil in the boat for when you don't think about the oil on the way to the station or if the reservoir runs out on the water.

·
Administrator
10,499 Posts
Several comments there Justin and they are all good.

I add oil first and then pump gas to mix. BUT, I only have a 12 gallon portable tank. so I can see what I will need. I also seldom fill it more than half full.

Mixing before or after will work. Trailering the boat to the lake should mix it. You will need to see if you have an oil tank that automatically mixes for you.

Keep in mind that because the engine oil is mixed with the gas, and thus will be burned during combustion, you will get a little smoke. That is totally normal.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice, very clean boat. Hope it brings you and the family lots of joyous moments throughout the years
Thanks. I almost bought a deck boat that seated 14 people but towards the end of the year the channel gets a little shallow and where it drafts deeper I wouldn't make it out. But it was beautiful as well. This one I just lucked into. It's in suck nice condition everyone that has seen it in person thinks I'm very fortunate. But I thank you for your kind words.

·
Administrator
10,499 Posts
Looks good Justin. If your out getting gas and can't find your cheat sheet just remember the typical amount would be 3 ounces per gallon. It is a little extra oil so is on the safe side and is not worth torturing brain cells over.

When your out with that beautiful boat, take a look at the water stream it is spitting out. It is always good to have a general idea on what to expect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts