My new reloading bench

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Whistler, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've spent the last two weekends building a reloading bench. Plans called for it to be 72 inches, I made it 96 inches. My good friend Ed(Coyote1) helped me decide on everything to buy to get me started and he even helped me out with a nice reloading manual as well as a few other nice things. Nosler 6th edition. He's been a great help to me and he's such a good friend to me that he thinks of me as "little bro". Now I'm a lot of things, but little is not one of them. LOL Ed, no matter where you are or what you're doing, thanks for motivating me to get this done finally. You really are a true and valued friend. This is a very sturdy, solid and roomy bench. I am looking forward to learning this fine art on it. And thanks to my friend Bob(kittycatcher) for helping me build it and giving me the cabinets that you see on the wall. I don't know what I'd do without you for a friend. If you would like the plans, just right click on the link below and save the plans to your hard drive. Easy to build and very good.

NRMA Reloading bench

Attached Files:

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    great bench there :cool2: , the last photo Whistler the rods maybe you can build a rod holder :wink: thanx's for share'n .

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    I forgot to say that there are just a few of my fishing rods close by. LOL Sorry about that. LOL I did put that in there intentionally. LOL

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the addiction,Bryan. You'll be shooting now ,just so you can reload :smile2:This is a wonderfull hobby. Ed had helped me immensly. I am gonna have my special reloading place soon myself. I will post pics when I get r done. Might be toward spring tho,But I'm a patient man.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You should have plenty of space, congrats. Very nice set up. :dribble: What will you be reloading?

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bryan ole Buddie If I had of known you were into reloading I would have given you a bunch of good stuff to go along with that bench. I had about 15 years of collections and lots of powder and shot bullets and all kinds of stuff. My son in law got some I gave the rest away to various people that came by. It sure would have tickled me to give it to you. OBTW good looking reloading bench.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice bench ya'll. I love handloads. My 270 hasn't fired a production round in 10 years or more and never will again. You'll enjoy the increased accuracy i'm sure.

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    I have basicly 3 friends that I hunt with. Bob and one that's in Iraq. Bob and I shoot .270 and he shoots a 7MM Mag. I also have a 30-30 that I use for backup or if I'm walking. Those will be the 3 primary caliber's I'm gonna reload. With quality factory loads selling for upwards of 50 bucks a box, I figure it won't take long to pay for itself in both money and accuracy during the hunt. I own 37 acres here where I live. I built my own 100 yard range with anchored shooting table and measured and set targets. It's about 100 yards from my reload bench to the range, so that should help me get some accurate loads worked up. In this garage I also have a 10 foot work bench set up for re-wrapping the guides on fishing rods. And I'm considering one for making sinkers too. Too many darned hobbies. LOL I also like to rebuild fishing reels and Coleman stoves and lanterns. Hmmm....what's next? LOL Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll be in here asking some of you questions from time to time.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thats a nice looking bench.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice looking setup and I'm sure it's better then you could buy

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the new reloading bench. Looks great. If those rods keep you from expanding let me know. I will make a trip down and get them out of your way.

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Great Bench!! I woos-ed out and bought one and have wished I would have built it ever since. It is to light and I have to bolt it to the wall to keep it steady.
    If your shooting 30-30 there are loads around that have round ball loads for the 30-30 using a 310 caliber black powder ball, a little lube and a cardboard wad, they are a BLAST!!! My 9yo daughter shoots my Winchester 94 at cans with it and has used it to take a few rabbits with AWSOME results.
    Here are some good books to look for and pick up.
    http://www.amazon.com/Handloaders-Manual-Cartridge-Conversions/dp/0883171368

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Complete-Reloading-Guide/John-E-Traister/e/9780883171943/?itm=8

Also Hogdon, Winchester, Federal and many ammo companies give away fliers with there load data in them showing the powder, primers, and bullets used and they give them away. Also watch Yard sales and Good Will as I have gotten some books there also. There is a BUNCH of info on the internet but always double check it as I have seen some that were well above what the manuals listed as TOP loads.
    Have a great time and good luck!

13. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Good looking bench. I built one almost like it 35 years ago and it still works as good as ever. 8 ft long and 4 ft wide and the top is two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood glued and screwed together and the bench is bolted to the wall of my shop and the legs are bolted to the cement floor. It is not going any where although some of the military brass has tested it. A darn good hobby and you will enjoy it I'm sure.

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother's Bryan { Whistler } and Richard {223 Reload };
    :wink: :big_smile: {{THANK YOU BOTH }} for those Most Kind words! They mean A GREAT DEAL to me, easily more than most folks will ever know!! :big_smile: You two play an important part in My Life too :wink:, especially Y-O-U "Little Brother"! :wink::smile2:.
    Richard, anytime you have any kind of a question about firearms, loading, performance, maintenance, ect, please do NOT hesitate to call or email, or somehow get in contact with me!
    If I don't know the answer I know who to go to in order to find out the correct answer!! :wink:
    "Little Brother", your Reloading Bench is Looking Mighty Dadburn GOOD!! Your off to a GREAT START!! A lot better than the one that I started out with long ago, way back much earlier in the 20th Century! That much is for sure!!
    Nobody could be happier for you than me! Your finally are getting so close to being ready to start learning the proper and SAFE way to reload your various cartridges that I am getting more excited for ya!
    Later on, as you progress in your skills, and start developing your own "Style" of Reloading you will finally end of getting everything in the right place on the Bench so that you will be able to load more easily, and efficiently, while staying SAFE in all that your doing.
    Before you know it, you will end up knowing more about Reloading your various calibers, along with the "In's and Outs" of how to make your Rifles shoot better, more accurately, with more power downrange than the people that originally designed the cartridge! :wink::smile2: But that comes later, when you get a bit more experience. Both at the Bench and at your Range, not to mention, Out In The Field too!!!
    All too soon, you will start running out of cabinet space and have to add more cabinets. Then more shelves, more manuals, more Primers, more Brass, more, and different, styles of bullets, more and more of "This", "That" and "The Other". :smile2:
    Just when you thought you had everything you needed to get. Every book you needed to buy, to do the "job" right. Every tool, or machine, to do "it" faster and better, the manufactures, or some fellow with a small machine shop, will have a "Light-bulb" idea, and will design, or come out with, yet another "Toy" or tool you will have to try out for yourself!
    However, the most important thing for you to remember is; please, PLEASE, P-L-E-A-S-E!, don't ever hesitate to contact me for ANY Reason, Question, Opinion, or Advice, ect, ect!!
    No matter what time Day OR Night!!
    After all, your my Little Brother and I won't have it any other way!!!!
    What is mine, is Yours too. I will always help you to the absolute best of my abilities no matter what the subject or problem!!
    Nuff Said for now.
    I guess Raven and I are going to have to make a point of getting down there early next year, after Hunting Season on White-tailed Deer, and bringing some of our firearms along too! :-D I should have your "Information Package" ready for you by then ya know! LOL!!
    Truthfully, I am planning on having it in your hands by the beginning of Firearms Hunting Season!! I think you will like what I am putting together in addition to finding it very useful too.
    Take Care, Keep In Touch, and "{{Thank You Again]]" for the kind words! Every single word of what you said is TRUE! :)
    Cordially and Fraternally,
    Coyote
    P.S. Richard, "Thank You" again too, for your kind words! :)
    [[[[[ End of Post ]]]]]

15. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Got to shoot some of my own loads two weeks ago. My friend Bob and I both hunt with .270 cal rifles. Mine is a Ruger M77 MkII and his is an old Husquavarna probably early 60's vintage. Ed(Coyote1) helped me out by phone a lot during this whole thing. But in the mail I received a gift from Santa. It was a Stoney Point OAL gage and the modified cases for .270 and 7MM Rem Mag. Once I understood what these meant in terms of consistency of loads, I was amazed. I also loaded up about 50 rounds for a friend I have in Iraq that has a 7mm. I have his rifle too for now. Anyway, I did all the things I had read/heard about and included this measurement as part of the process. Unbelievable how much difference these rounds group as compared to the ones I was using previously. They were hand loads, but they were loaded right to the book data for OAL and all other specs. They were OK, but very inconsistent in how they grouped. I fired 9 shots through my rifle and was finished zeroing completely. My groups were great. Less than an inch for all 3 groups and for the first time in a long time, the scope responded to adjustments exactly as it was supposed to. Bob's was the same and the 7MM was even better. This 7 mag has always been a tough one to zero, it was simple this day. Now to keep myself from playing around too much. LOL Thanks Ed for all your help.

16. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Congratulations!!!
    I have a setup process that I do to find a good load.
    I get the bullets I am going to loaded, some primers and powder I am going to use. I find the correct length the cheap way (See Below). I prime 3 cases with each type of primer for 5 sets 3 cases. I load them from soft to stout with the powder using the books load info and color each load/primer combo with a different color sharpie on the case head. I hit the range and shoot the groups and see what they do and watch for signs of pressure.
    A friends Remington 30/06 would not shoot any factory load worth a darn (Read that as not in 10 inch circle at 100yds.) So he sold it to me for $50. I found the chamber length to be longer than it should be. I loaded the to that OAL and with a load just above the minimum I had 3 rounds within a inch at 100yds. I loaded some more rounds and it repeated the group consistently.

How I find the correct cartridge OAL
    (Take a fired case and slightly smash the case mouth shut so it holds the bullet just snug, color the bullet you are going to load with black sharpie and place it in the case mouth.
    Carefully chamber the round and remove it. The bullet may stick in the barrel but you can easily dislodge it by bumping the stock on the floor or tapping it with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. Slide the bullet back into the case to the point where the marker was rubbed off and measure the OAL for the final loaded rounds and subtract a few thousandths of an inch.)

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Bryan I know you will enjoy this a lot. I need to get around to this some day. As I love to shoot, But man bullets are high .Don't forget to give Bob he bad shooting one HAHA
    Buddy I hope you and Bob both get a big deer opening day.
    Pete