My new project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 27, 2009.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I finally got a motor for my 14ft V-hull so now Im motivated to work on it. I built a deck on the front for a trolling motor, tig welded all the cracks, replaced the rotten transom board, and screwed some 1x12's on the benches. Tomorrow I'm going to put bed liner on the deck, mount the seats, line the top rail with 2x2 for the rod holders and mount the trolling motor. Here are a few pics so far.
    '

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    • 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1111.jpg
      1111.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Looking so far Daniel. Good luck with the project and your fishing.

Tom

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Keep us posted and take lots of pics, Warmer weather is on its way

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Here's what I got done today. I think I'm about done, I need some ideas on what else would be useful to add-on. Oh ya, would a extension cord work for trolling motor/lights wire?

Attached Files:

• d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      179.2 KB
      Views:
    • d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      187.4 KB
      Views:
    • d3.jpg
      d3.jpg
      File size:
      184.7 KB
      Views:
  5. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Extension cord will work fine. Great job so far, I would put some 12V power sources (lighter receptacle) on it so you could plug different things in, and I'd look into a floor too to add to the stability.

6. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have been doing some work on a jon boat when the weather is nice. I am going to use extension cord for the wireing to and also going to use the outdoor style plugins (the ones with the weather caps that are spring loaded and snap back over the recepticle ) that way they wont corrode as fast and be sealed from the weather when not in use. Just have to put the regular extension cord replacement ends on what ya want to plug in and use Just an idea I come up with ! :smile2:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Most extension cords are between 12-16 gauge wire, which is not heavy enough to handle the current load of a trolling motor. You want 4 gauge wire for that, hard wired. I used an old set of jumper cables with the clamps removed...the price was right.

A better choice for plugs are the little two wire plugs that are built like the four wire plugs on your trailer lights. Get 'em for cheap at NAPA. BE SURE to wire them so that exposed metal pin is GROUND(-) and not HOT(+).

8. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    nice,,. real nice LOOKING GOOD PS..nice garge u got to work in..:cool2:

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    lookin good so far

10. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Looks like your doing a great job on the boat.Glad you got ya a motor:smile2:. And I like the bed liner on the deck too.really good idea.Thanks and good luck with the boat mods and the fishing.

11. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Great job Dan. It's looking fine, now bring on some slime...

12. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
  13. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Boat is looking good Dan, keep up the good work.

For the extension cord for a trolling motor, NO

Not to be to technical, but some useful info

If the incorrect gauge wire is used, there will be a voltage loss to the trolling motor causing a decrease in power and heating of the wires.

First Determine maximum amp draw of your trolling motor and round up to nearest 10. Then Measure distance from the battery to the power outlet or trolling motor connection and multiply by two. A 10 AWG is a good starting point.There is a voltage drop chart per foot per wire guage that can be found.

Take the Determined Length x 2 = Doubled Length. Take the Doubled Length x Voltage drop = Total Voltage Loss.

So what your looking for is a voltage drop no more than 1 volt.

So if you run 20 ft of 10 AWG at max amp draw of 37 amps, then you would would round the 37 to 40 amps, take the 20ft of wire x two = 40 ft, 10 AWG has a voltage drop of .0408volts.

Take the 40 ft of wire times .0408. 40 x .0408 = 1.632 volts, not acceptable, your power supply has just become a resistor.

So your 20 ft extension cord would probaably be a 14 gauge copper strand, with the voltage drop of over 2 volts.

14. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Umm... He's not going to have 20 ft of distance between his battery and trolling motor is he? You can always use a heavier duty extension cord, and the factory wires on my trolling motor are smaller than 4 gauge! I just know guys that have used it and done fine, but I'd def. consider what these fellas are talking about.