My new project: 1971 McKee Craft Skiff

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SUNDROP, Jul 13, 2008.

1. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've been wanting something more stable than a Jon, roomier than a Bassboat (one I could afford anyway), but able to run fairly shallow for cattin' and chasing stripers, red drum, speckled trout, and flounder in Eastern NC as well.
    I've been fishing in a 1977 Chapparal 15ft trihull fish n ski. Stable, but not laid out well for me and not great in the shallows.
    I picked up this mcKeee off Craigslist, for much less than listed. So now I am ready to go to work making it a real fishing machine! Has a 55hp Evinrude that runs good, but electric shift isn't working right, switches are good. So I will swap the 70hp 'rude from the Chap. and fix the 55hp as a side project to put on the chap for resale. I will also swap the older fishfinder, foot cont. troller and rod holders with my other stuff.
    First I'm going to strip the McKee down, paint it outside and spray in bedliner the inside, add a livewell/seat in front of the console, rewire with additional plugs for a removeable baitwell, lighting, etc add my VHF radio, CD Player and a bimini top. Trailer is in GREAT shape and is the original 1971 steel trailer which tells me alot about how the boat was used (or not..LOL!)
    Project won't take a ton of money, just alot of time, and time, I can afford!!! I'll post as I go along, with teardown beginning next week.

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a nice catfish boat, good luck

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    just remember, make it the way u want it w/the things u need & u should be happy.....

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Wish ya nothin but the best with it. Think it through and do it once.:wink:

5. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How do fiberglass skiffs handle on rivers?

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think the Mckee will make a GREAT catfishin' boat. Getting it much lower than the listed price is just icing on the cake. My fiberglass Carolina Skiff handles great on the Big Pee Dee river we fish. Keep us posted on your progress getting this gem outfitted. I believe if it were me, I would reconsider the bedliner coating inside the boat as it will add a lot of weight to it. There are many other no skid coatings that are much lighter, such as paint with non slip abrasive added to it.
    Bill in SC

7. DWMeyer98

DWMeyer98 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like it. It was older and it was cheap. Two of my favorite things. Good luck. I'll check in often.

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Luckily in this case it isn't a flat bottom skiff like many are. It is a tri hull with a very deep "V" in each hull. Almost "catamaran-ish" so I am thinking it will do well in current and chop.
    I have reconsidered the "bedliner" and I have decided to go with a textured paint but not heavy coat like a bedliner as stated, because of the weight. I may however still use bedliner on the tops of the rail since they see the abuse from feet and docks..

9. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Sweet score sundrop!

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Sundrop I did a roll in bedliner kit in my Jolly Green, it works real well, I think it will hold up a lot better than the textured paint. I got it at an auto parts store in a gallon size, so it's not going to add hardly any weight. It only took about 1/2 of the gallon to do the entire floor of a 21' boat.

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Biggest trick with a roll in or spray on liner is finding a light color. I found spray on kits on Ebay in white. Everything around here that rolls on is black, gray and that will get too hot.... I might go white epoxy and sand for grip... still thinking on that one...

12. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Mine is black, I am going to paint over it with a light colored coat later this year when that project gets to the top of the list. All I got to find in the catfish slime colored paint so it won't show when I have company in the boat.:smile2:

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    HOT HOT HOT! So far I've pulled the motor and wiring, tanks... But it has been so dang hot!!