My new pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by plumbertom1, Feb 12, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    After spending Saturday afternoon (about 2 hours) assembling this monster (Ha...Ha). I had to take a break and rest up (too much traffic at the lake on the weekend) so this Monday morning I removed my fishing gear from my camper shell and loaded the boat into the back of my 8' bed and folded the rear of the pontoons up to close the tailgate. I tossed in my tackle box, a couple of rods and my ice chest I use for frozen bait and headed up to the lake to get the feel of the boat. No one at the lake so I unloaded the boat, put the gear on board and shoved off. I rowed the boat out into the lake and got the feel of it. Total rowing distance today about 1 mile out and 1 back. Very little draft so learning to control it took a while. Over all I think I can live with it. Especialy after I mount the troling motor and fish finder. Oh by the way I didn't catch any fish, again.

Attached Files:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    That is a nice small lake boat congrats

3. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    thats a nice pontoon, what did it run you?

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
  5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks, It'll do until the weather and water warms up. I had intended to get a kayak but decided to wait until I could try a few of them out and see which one is best suited to me. I would like a 'yak I can load onto the front of my 24' sport-fisher to run to the Islands and inshore kelp beds so I can work right in the kelp and take advantage of the stealth factor but I don't want to get dumped into the cold water while learning to use it.
    Since the F&G has gone to closures of our rockfish fisheries during the winter months I mostly fish the lakes then anyway.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    A 3 ft piece of loging chain on a rope would be great to help you control the drift with that boat.

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That's one way to do it. I didn't include this photo because you really can't see it clearly but the boat cane with an anchor bag that is on a rope ran from a pulley through the frame to the side of the seat so you can raise and lower it without moving around. You can fill the bag with rocks, old sinkers, window sash weights or whatever you happen to have handy and lower it into the water up to 25' to slow the drift so 3' foot would be no problem.

Attached Files:

8. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Those things are so cool and the right idea for using it in a singles cat tournament.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Plumbertom1.... that looks nice.. I like the color too ... I did not recognize the body of water that you were on....Is that near pearblossom?

Going to be warm at Topock.....

bayrunner ray

10. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sorry Ray. I should have included that information. That's Pyramid Lake, way in the background is the launch ramp and I pulled ashore just past the no wake buoy line.(Got tired of those orrs)

11. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Thats an awesome little pontoon ,, I want one