My new personal best x2 at Bartlett Arizona

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Jun 11, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I did it!
    I leap frogged my largest catfish by almost 20 lbs last night.

* I boated over 100lbs of flathead last night at Bartlet.

~ Attached are a few photos.
    39.5lb flathead~ CUT CARP
    32lb flathead~ Small live carp
    15lb flathead~ CUT CARP
    10lb flathead~ Larg live carp
    > 10lb flathead~ Cut carp.. (not in photos)

Equals~ A whole crap load of fun!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Congrats on your new PB Andy!:big_smile:

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Awesome flats and congratulations on your personal best!

-Red

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Andy, outragous on such such a big moon too. A couple of questions if I may.
    1 Were you fishing gils also?
    2 Were you fishing the area you like across from the marina and is it by those little islands there?
    3 How big of a chunk of carp?
    4 What were the times of the catches?
    Thanks in advance for the info. I'm going Monday night. Congrats on such an excellent stringer or should I say anchor rope of fish. Also I think I remember you using the large kahles with heavy main. Great job!!!!!!!!!!

5. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    nice fish Andy, congratulations. i couldn't get out this weekend but might go one day next week. those are some great fish. where did u catch them?

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    great job bro, man them big flats are a blast , sounds like AZ is about ready to break wide open , anybody here how they all did out on rosey last nite

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    wow...wow...I mean WOW.

8. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice job azflats!! good going. Were headed down 2 rosey right now for the night and can only hope to do half as good as you. I was a little leery of the moon but doesnt seem to have hurt you any. Once again brother great night on the water and now you can go after a new PB next trip out. Good luck and keep us posted.

9. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    very great my question

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I started early Saturday morning. I fished all day, I mean all day catching carp. The fishing was tuff, but I managed to land somewhere between 20-30 of them, several in the 4-6 inch range... (Nice)..

* My fishing buddy showed up around 6pm and he caught about a dozen gills to add to the mix.

After about 1 1/2 hours of fishing my old spots with no runs, we moved up closer to the dam area on the north side of the lake. Most of my carps had died..
    Terry,
    I have never used cut carp before.
    ~ After reading several of you posts on landing cats on cut carp, I gave it a try. I cut my first slice, (nice jucy piece) about 1 inch by 3 in on a 5/0 Kale hook. Now I was searisouly expecting a channel. But 20 minutes later the lightest cat rig on my boat doubled over. Man what a fight! 15 minutes of give and take, and a couple of close calls with some rock piles. The fish breached. Saw the net, and was off again. By this time, I was shaking and heart was pounding about a mile a minute. Once this fish found net, I was the happiest guy on the lake. (Just under 40lbs.) I think everyone within a miles of me knew that too. :) ~ And I was trying to beat 20lbs for the last couple of years, but, i'll take that.

~ Same spot, next cast with cut bait~ 4 lb largemouth bass~ WHAT?? Gut hooked him. But it was deffinently interesting.
    ~ Same spot, about 30 minutes later, my EcoLogic bait runner starts slowly spinning. I was thinking~ " Gotta tighted that bait run drag, or that little carp is going to get me around some rocks".. Then it did not stop. In fact, it got faster and faster. I jumped up on the back rest of my toon and crossed that cats eyes! Another monster, less intense of a fight as this rig has 100lb power pro, but still phenominal.
    * Mike, My good friend is green with envy by now.. I told him, "If you would have come and busted your @ss off in the heat all day catching bait, the catfish gods would have smiled at you too.
    ~ TWO FISH now! 73 POUNDS!

~ Filled in the rest of the night and the fish progressivly got smaller.
    * My good bud got skunked. Not one run on gills, all were carp, and cut carp. Slept for half an hour before the sun came up found my camera and now here I am.

~ Terry,
    CUT CARP is my new favorite bait~ Thanks Dude. I caught the first two giants, before 11pm. Exact times, maybe about 9 and 10 pm.

* I think that the reason I was able to get my first real trophy was becouse I never gave a spot more than 1 hour of no bites. If we did not get a run in an hour we were off.

~ Give it a try, Oh yeah by the way.. All the cats were successfuly released. Fat dumb and happy, well maybe a little pissed.
    Take care!

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Check out the yellow colored flatty I got, last fish in picture 3.

~ Must of been a cruser, not hiding under rocks.

12. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just a question did you keep all of those fish?

13. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Great catch ! i cant wait to be blessed with a nite like that by the catfish gods.

Maybe were onto something , alot of nice az cats being caught on carp. I have a few questions.

My biggest & only flathead also came on a 5-6 in carp at Rosevelt. Was curious about how you caught the carp for bait & what type structure did you catch em around. Mine were all caught with a casting net near weeds.

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Corn. with the smallest treble hook Wally world sells one split shot, ultra light rod. Almost as fun to fish as catfish.
    * Look for warm shallow flats and throw out a handful of corn evey hour to keep the carp in the area.

* It's fun when a 20lb carp bits~ Make sure the drag is set and the rod is secured, becouse if it is not, it will go sailing.

Cactus<
    All those fish were released lively for you and I to catch another day.

Take care!

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Awesome catches, brother!! Congradulations! Can't wait til I break the 20 pound mark myself! Wish me luck on it!

16. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Way to go on your pb Did you leave any fish for the rest of us

17. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    good man as you know fish that nice are not easy to come by on Bartlett congrats and congrats.

18. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    way to go man, we have had luck using cut carp for flatheads too. sometimes when other baits don't work, the most peculiar baits produce great success.

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice work Andy! You all are killin em up there!

20. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    great catch andy now you have some work to do beaten your pb good luck