Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the MO River is flooded, so it was time to set limb lines in my favorite slough Friday and Saturday night. We had 22 hooks out, and ended up with 11 fish, the biggest being my new PB, a 77 lb blue. Others were: 50,37,20(flat), 18,10, and 5 smaller fish.

I attached a picture of a smaller fish's stomach. Wow! never seen anything like that!
The other fish had empty stomach's, like normal.

. Fish Catfish Fish Noodling Recreation
Fish Fish Catfish Fishing Recreation
Grass

live bluegill, 10/0 circle hooks

· Registered
7,495 Posts
Holy Moly what a catch!!!!!

Can't believe that smaller cat was so packed full of worms!

Back in the sloughs? Mmmmmm.....filing that tip away for high-water conditions!

Congrats!

What did you bait the lines with?

· Registered
921 Posts
Can't believe that smaller cat was so packed full of worms!

.....filing that tip away for high-water conditions!
I wished I'd known/read this beforehand last Thursday night when I was on the river...... I know a couple of good slough's that would of been great. But, I don't think I want to get on the river now after last Thursday & Friday's expedition. Large trees floating down the river!

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use live bluegills in a slough that only has water in it when the river is way up. the current only goes maybe 3 mph in there, and trees are along both sides. most of the water is about 12-15ft deep, but my hooks are from 0-8 ft. Water has to come in the top and go out the bottom, otherwise the big fish won't get in there. I caught a 70 lb blue in there last year, and we have several 40-50 lbers each year.
Water resources Watercourse Water River Bank
Body of water Water resources Nature Natural landscape Bank

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, that's crossing the line, because I only use a 12 ft. jon boat with a 6hp motor, so I don't go far from where I put in. I need a small boat to weave in and out of the fallen down trees and push through log jams.

I put in on private property though and never touch the main river channel when the water is like it is now.

I was kidding with the guys at work that I ought to switch jobs because I have caught at least a 70lb'er the last two times out!!LOL!!

I wish the blues would quit filling up my lines to leave a few for the elusive flatheads.

· Registered
40 Posts
Well, that's crossing the line, because I only use a 12 ft. jon boat with a 6hp motor, so I don't go far from where I put in. I need a small boat to weave in and out of the fallen down trees and push through log jams.

I put in on private property though and never touch the main river channel when the water is like it is now.

I was kidding with the guys at work that I ought to switch jobs because I have caught at least a 70lb'er the last two times out!!LOL!!

I wish the blues would quit filling up my lines to leave a few for the elusive flatheads.

Do you keep all the fish you "catch"? or do you turn the big ones loose?

· Registered
3,361 Posts
Nice fish, congrats on the new personal best!

from the looks of the pics he would keep them for dinnner..... here we go again.:secret:
Rob, it's a valid question. Folks show up asking advice or for tips (although I don't think Snagman needs any based on this report) and to me it make sense to find out who's asking.

Why do you think the amount of actual fishing information and tips posted on here has gone down so much?

· Registered
6,613 Posts
Glad ya posted a pick of the one stuffed with worms now mabe dem peeps will pay attention about fishen with worms during flood. Good tip guys mullberry trees next soon as they get ripe some and if they go under some whammo awsome spot back in the chutes behind islands and in in feeder creeks ect. Awsome job on fishen man congrates. I hope ya let some of the bigger ones swim away.

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the delay. We usually let anything big go once we keep enough to eat for a few fish frys. We can tie up the fish and keep them alive until the end of the weekend, then pick which ones we want. They stay VERY alive and we don't have to worry about gar and turtles for whatever reason!

As for the fish scale, about 12? days after placing my order, I got an email saying they had a fire and didn't run my credit card. I emailed back wondering when he thought they could send them to me, and no response after about a week now.
May look elsewhere, although they were reasonable and supposedly available.

Let's keep the skill conversation off of this thread, because then we will be talking about limb lines, snagging, deer hunting, and a bunch of stuff we have already heard. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.