My new PB Flathead!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Last Saturday night my buddy Chris, my son and I got on the Colorado river and had the best night of the year. My son got his 2nd ever catfish which was a nice eater size channel. I got my personal best flathead and Chris got into the fight of his life (I'll post about it in another thread...it was that GOOD!).

I'll start by saying that this fishing trip was unlike any trip out before due to the fact that it was the first time we ever got out there and used a depth finder. Huge thanks to BOC brother Mr.T! The finder that he graciously gave to me, helped us to identify structure and holes that we never thought for a second were there! In a river system where we thought there was nothing but shallow water with a little current and maybe a few 10-15 ft deep holes, we were able to mark several holes that ranged anywhere from 26ft to one that we found that was over 44ft deep!:crazy:

One hole in particular was 24-27ft deep with some current. Early in the night, I missed a really good fish. The fish hit on a big bluegill head. Once I got him to the boat, he broke my line at the hook...talk about disappointed (always check your gear before you hit the water)! After no more action in that spot, we moved on to another hole where my son got a nice 3lb channel cat. After fishing around the river, we decided to go back to the original spot in hopes that we might be able to get into the big fish again. Got there and rigged up 2 poles with live gills and 2 with cut bait. Not even 10 minutes there and BAM! Got a hit off the back of the boat. I set the hook and the fight was on! I dont know how long it took but I knew it was my biggest flattie ever (for me). Once we got it tired and netted it into the boat, I got a look at this fish! My hands were shaking along with my knees as Chris and my son both shook my hand and congrtulated me...I could have caught nothing else that night and still been happy as heck! As luck would have it though, I go to reel in one of Chris' poles as we prepared to move to another spot after getting no more action. As I reeled his line in this rod got a sharp tug and before I knew it, i was into another fish! I tried to tell Chris to come and get his fish since he had yet to catch any that night but he swore I just giving him a hard time as usual and didnt want to get suckerd into rushing over to an empty rod.:tounge_out: This one was more our average size of about 7lbs. He hit on cut bait. We ended up keep it because it had swallowed the hook.

I never got the weight on the big fish because my scale is a cheap one that only goes to 20lbs:embarassed::roll_eyes:. The scale was bottomed out before I even got the fish off the ground! Well I wasnt going to kill this great fish just to satisfy my own ego...so we got pics at sunrise and let it go.

Just before sunrise, Chris' luck took a major turn for the better and he hooked into a giant. I want to post about it in another thread though because the story might be a little long and somewhat unbelievable...but its the absolute truth. Please read it!

One a side note: We busted a big myth that night! All this action took place during a full moon! Never before have I gotten anything during a full moon!

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    More pics of me and the PB... Im wearing a glove because Im too much of chump to go bare handed...

Attached Files:

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats Dameon! Sounds like time well spent with the son and a friend. Memories for a lifetime.

4. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Pics of the Colorado river just after sunrise.

Attached Files:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great pics! That would trip me out fishin a river like that. Looks kinda like a river on Mars or something.:smile2: Looks like a great place to get away!

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Sounds and looks like ya'll had a fantastic trip. That scenery is awesome. Looks like your flathead is around 30 pounds. I guess you're going to need a bigger scale! Thanks for the release!

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Congrats on you new PB flat. Thanks for taking you son fishing and the great pictures. Sounds like one heck of a night.

Tom

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats to you on the PB and looks like your had just as much fun. Thanks for sharin.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on your new PB!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go man!!!! And good deal on the release!

12. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    congrats brother! nice fish:big_smile:

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    congrats on your pb ,nice fish

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Dameon, congratulations on your catch. That is a good lucking fish, and knowing how hard you have been working on finding them makes it even more satisfiying for you. Thanks for the story and I know there will be more to come.:big_smile:

15. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Congrats, thats an excellent fish:big_smile:, I'm still hoping to get my first flathead:angry:, one like that would blow me away

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT fish and river photos, Dameon! More reps sent out to ya!
    Bill in SC

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Congrats on you new PB!

18. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Dameon, your story on your trip was like I was there and the pictures were great. Congrats on you new PB, I will have to try that full moon again I never had any luck during that time. Sounds like a personal thing for me now I got to try again soon ''LOL'' Reps to ya brother :wink:

19. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Believe me brother, it really is a great place to get away from everything. During the day its pretty hectic from all the speed boats and jet skiers. Most of the anglers out here are Bass catchers so for us catfishers, we pretty much have the place to ourselves at night!

20. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Nice flattie. Your doing better than I have been. Ive fished hard the last two trips out and no flats just blues. Good luck to ya and reps on the flat.