My New Little Toy

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ohiocattin15, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just bought a new hummingbird smart cast which is the fish/depth finder that you cast from the shore with a sonar unit tied on to the end of your line and a reciever on my wrist with the screen on it. I was just wondering what are the thoughts from all of you more experienced guys, and do you all think that it will increase my catch or is it just a waste of money?

thanks

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I love mine, I use it on the boat as well. Cast up under trees to see if there is a hole there, around logs to find the deeper spots.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never used that type. Keep us updated on how it performs. Good Luck.:big_smile:

4. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've seen it and thought about buying it. Have not done it though. Seems it may be a good buy. Keep us posted, please. I might just go out and get one if it works well enough.

5. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    how much is this contraption?

6. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've got one and it works great for me. If I ever replace it though I would buy the one that mounts on the rod. I find the wrist watch type a little clumsy to use. Hope you have good luck with it.

7. FDR

FDR Member

State:
    Ohio,Cincinnati
    We use you all the time works great to fine the holes in the river :big_smile:

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those have my curiosity aroused. I'd like too see one in action...:big_smile:

9. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im glad to see someone who has one. I been thinking of getting one. Does it show Fish as well as Depth?...Jeff

10. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Mine does show schools of bait, individual fish and will mark structure and depth with reasonable accuracy. Because the transducer (the part you cast) is turned on by contact with the water be sure you take it out of the water when you are not taking readings. A while back Bass Pro Shop had them on sale for well under $100.

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mine shows fish and has an alarm but I haven't figured out how to read structure on it yet. It shows depth but has a problem reporting back to the wrist unit sometimes. I've seen them at Dick's Sporting Goods as cheap as 50.00. I bought mine for around 70.00.

12. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got one a month ago for my Bday. My son loves it and will find almost every hole. I'll be casting out and my son will say "about 20' out there is some grass"! I have the one that has 150" range and two channels. The unit clips on my pole and has a small screen but is easy to see with 40 year old eyes. The BAD News is I had the unit on a spinning outfit and didn’t get the bail "locked" over and when I cast, the drag ran a couple of feet and the sonar unit struck the sand. This unit is quite sensitive and will not handle allot of abuse. I got mine from Cabelas and Ill see if I have to buy an new green sonar unit (about $25).

Even if I have to spend $25 more it will have been worth it!!!

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck with it man, hope it helps ya. Can't beat it from the bank.

14. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it works great for targeting big bluegill, ill try it tomorrow night for catfish if the tournament allows it

15. catfishinboya

catfishinboya New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have tried the humminbird wrist and pole sonar 3 times and have had no luck!! they all just died and we took them back and they could never tell us what was wrong with them!:confused2: