My new dough bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Gonnausegoldfish, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Gonnausegoldfish

Gonnausegoldfish New Member

State:
    texas
    Hello everyone,
    Well, I keep seeing alot of dough bait articles and they always make me smile. So many ingredients! I love workin in the kitchen, even if I have no clue what i'm doin hahahaha. I went to the local chiken resteraunt by my house and paid three bucks for a pound of livers, then off to H.E.B for the anise extract, corn meal, and flour.

I blended about 3/4 of a pound of livers and 1/4 bottle of anise extract untill it was like a soup :eek:oooh:. I did strain the livers of the blood and the anise bottle is a 1.8 oz bottle. Then poured that mess into a 9x13 pyrex baking pan and added corn meal and flower. I worked the paste untill it became a dough.
    It has a unique smell you could say, but im all for new stuff catchin fish.
    We are headin out to Lake conroe tomorrow with some live shad, shrimp, night crawlers and my new recipe. I will be prayin to the fish gods tonight as tomorrow will be a great day.

2. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Good luck and let me know if it works. I can always use a new recipe. :wink:

3. Gonnausegoldfish

Gonnausegoldfish New Member

State:
    texas
    Well atleast today the weather was good but the fishing was horrible. I had one really solid bite on the live shad but nothing else all day. :sad2: Better luck next time....
    Next time I go out, ill make sure find the fish:roll_eyes:

4. straycat47

straycat47 New Member

State:
    texas
    I tried that exact recipe a few years back except I used garlic. It didnt work for me worth a flip. I switched to cutbait and did fine. Chicken liver for some reason never has worked for me.:cool2: Also, I am not real crazy about treble hooks anyways.

5. Gort

Gort New Member

State:
    Texas
    The bite during the day is usually slow to non-existant for cats, on Conroe... Did you get your boat yet? Thought I saw a msg saying gonna look at some.
    The hybrid stripers will tear you up during the day... as well as bass, crappie, drum, and huge talapia(?) they will take shad guts fished in the canals when the water is clear... huge talapia.
    For some real fun... cornflakes and strawberry soda, make a "dough" bait (or so I was told by a guide buddy)... and hook into some huge carp. We had some kids out on Conroe this past Sat when is was really blowing... they just wanted to fish, so we got on the internet and made up some doughbait for carp... they had a blast catchin 30 pounders on lightweight spincast rigs.
    Took them out Sun when it calmed down and got them on some 22 - 24 in hybrids, an 8-9 pound black bass, and 2-3 pound white bass... but only 4 or 5 cats total during the day sat and sun.
    The cats bite mostly at night... I usually don't even bother trying for them during the day... we go after the hybrids, bass, and crappie during the day and will catch some nice sized drum as well... gaspergoo. They fry up nice, meat is really firm... one person said they were a bit oilier than the catfish... I couldn't tell, I was starving.

6. Gort

Gort New Member

State:
    Texas
    Almost forgot....
    I ALWAYS take chicken liver when I fish for cats... fresh not frozen... the deeper red the better. Randalls usually has fresh, Krogers is frozen, and Brookshire Brothers (in Montgomery) will have frozen/fresh. I pick mine up in Houston on my way up to the lake as sometimes once you get up there it may be all gone... then you will have to drive up to Montgomery... I stay in Walden when I go up there and either fish off the docks if too windy, or fish outta the boat.
    Always catch channels on the liver, blues sometimes as well as hybrids, but always fish with live shad or gills on several rods for the big-uns... flatties, blues, and hybrids at night.
    Do a lot better under a moon... no moon tends to slow down the bite till every rod starts getting slammed just before dawn... sun comes up and it dies off... then we switch over to bass and hybrids on the bulkheads.
    One guide up on Conroe fishes with shrimp only... Billy Mills I believe. My buddy and 3 friends slammed them over the League Line road bed one night 3-4 limits, all 5-8 pounders, blues and channels.