My new boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JBla174, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey everyone! I'm new to the site, and pretty new to catfishing, but i'm obsessed! Last summer I bought a 14 ft Tracker Aluminum boat and it has a 9.9 Evinrude. I'm curious to know what else I need to make it ideal for catching cats, and also where a boat this size should/can fish at. Specifically, I'd like to know about trolling motors, rod holders (how many), and anything else you guys can help me with! Thanks a lot!:big_smile:

JBla

2. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Welcome to the BOC Jordan.

3. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    As far as rod holders go you gotta get the Monsters. Just looking at the double action rod holders from monster and you gotta get them. They are just the best quality. Lots of guys put a ton of holders on but go by how many people your boat can hold and then think how many rods can you use at once according to your state regulations. In PA we are allowed to use 2 rods per person so I would get 6 with your size boat.
    The way I see it if your new to boating start by getting familiar with smaller lakes before you take on a raging river. Oh and set yourself up with a bowmount trolling motor with foot controls. Have Fun

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jordan.

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Well put! I'd probably add getting a few extra bases for the monster rod holders so you have more choice of were you can have them. I have 10 rod holders on my tracker so how ever I'm fishing I'm set.
    Welcome to the BOC Jordan!

6. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Definately Monster rod holders are the way to go. I currently have 6, but will be purchasing more here in the near future. I would buy at least 6 holders, you can always buy extra bases to mount all around your boat and move the 6 rod holders around to fit your fishing presentation whether it be anchor fishing or drifting.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jordan Welcome to the BOC. You should be able to use that boat on river inlets and most small lakes. You will need all safety devices, anchors, and a good depth finder.:0a25::0a22::0a22:

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
  9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    A good depth finder will help you read the bottom and find stucture underwater,it will also keep you from running agound in shallow water if you watch it,or set the shallow depth alarm to warn you at a certain depth.
    Good quality rodholders so you don't lose your rod and reels to a big fish that might snap a cheap holder off at the base,position them all around your boat,if lake fishing the side rails usually get more use and in rivers the back or transom ones will be used more.
    A couple good anchors and plenty of anchor rope so you can hold a position if you want to.
    Safety equipment,life jackets,etc.
    A bait tank is nice to have but a bucket can be used if you need to.
    a good comfortable seat with room to stretch your legs out is nice and will allow you to spend more time on the water in confort.
    Navigation lights if you plan to fish in the dark!bow and stern lights are mandatory.
    A cooler for drinnks and food.
    A well organised tackle kit that can be accessed easily in the boat,alot of those big tackle boxes that work so well on the bank are a pain to open and close in the boat.
    knowledge of navigation bueys and what they mean.

If this is your first boat and you havn't spent much time on a boat,I would start easy and not tackle the biggest water around,start with a smaller lake and work your way up as your experience level allows, and as long as you feel safe. Don't overload your boats capacity even if it will hold more stuff,you need some wiggle room if you get into rough waters.

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Make sure you have good beverage holders. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. Where are your priorities fellahs??? :smile2:
    I can't tell you how many times I've spilled a drink in the boat then had nothing to drink later.
    You'll benefit greatly from a depth finder. If you'll be fishing large lakes get a depth finder with gps. 2 anchors with good rope. Make sure your bilge pump works. LIFE JACKETS AND WEAR THEM!!!!! You'll never hear a news report of someone who drowned with a life jacket on. I added a cigarette lighter jack to my boat for plugging in my spotlight or cell phone charger. You might as well keep a dedicated cell phone charger in your boat for safety's sake.

11. catdaddychad

catdaddychad New Member

State:
    indiana
  12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Jordan,
    Not to get into a rod holder debate as a lot of people seem to want to do, but I have 14 Driftmaster Duo Pro's, but my boat is 20+ feet long. You just put whatever you want to in your boat, but I would NOT over load it with rod holders. If you do, you will end up spending lots of cash on rods/reels. Just start at a minimum to keep you happy with your setup.
    Like other posts, there are other things to think about. How will you fish? If you fish rivers, you might drift, so a trolling motor to keep you in position would be needed. Or if you river fish and want to set up on channels, you would want to have anchors. I didn't spend a cent on mine.....I built mine out of 3 inch pipe and rebar. They work great.
    A depth finder is another good investment, not just for telling you the bottom depth, but for locating shad and fish on the drops. I use my Lowrance more for locating fish/bait. Do you need a GPS?....that is your call.
    With 14 feet of boat, you are limited to space. Just remember, you might bring 1 or 2 other people along with you. Pack that boat with a cooler, rods, anchors, other personal equipment and your space has quickly dwindled.
    IMO, I would start at a minimum with a few (4) good quality rod holders, a couple of anchors and a depth finder. Since we are getting close to winter, I set up mostly with anchors so you might want to hold off on the trolling motor until the spring.
    Listen to all the advice on here, as it is good and spoken from experience, but do what you want and what will make you happy.
    Good luck
    Post pics when you get it all set up.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Jorden.... from the beach at Los Angles....

A buddy of mine has a 16ft Tracker... but its got more HP to the motor... It'll take time and money to get things the way that you want your boat...check the Library on equipment etc.

Have a great Holiday season.... Bayrunner Ray

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site :wink: besides the good advice everyone gave i'd also say that if this is your first boat ya can't go wrong with a boating course, knowing the rules and regs. is always a big plus on the water, you can never be too safe plus then you'll know all the required gear you'll need:wink:

15. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    welcome Jordan, i think they have just about covered it all except dont forget the fishing liscence(spelling). go out and have fun and you will adjust as you go. these guys know what their talking about.

16. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC JORDAN LDJ:wink:

17. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC.

18. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You guys, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your time and input! I appreciate it very much and can't wait to get out in the spring and get after it! I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of the boat and will def post pictures! Thanks again!