My "New" Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by floundahman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    After 2 years of being bank-bound I finally bought a "new" boat. This boat is a 1968 Chrysler 14' aluminum jon boat. The paint is original. It came on the trailer that it has been sitting on since 1969. The trailer needs some work, but the boat is pristine. I'm debating whether or not to modify the boat for catfish fishing. The boat did not come with a motor, but I do have a 3.5 HP Mercury outboard to put on it (Thanks to Knalves). The former owner only used it on a pond, with a trolling motor. I'm open to any suggestions regarding modifying this "new" old boat. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Your 31/2 ain't gonna set any speed records, but it will push it better than a trollin motor. I would be careful in rough water, but it beats sittin on a bank, wishin you was on the opposite side.:wink: Congrats on your first and hopefully it will serve your needs.

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks John. I've had boats in the past, but one night, 3 years ago I got careless and swamped my boat. I posted the story in the boating safety section soon after it happened. Thankfully, no one was hurt. I did lose a good amount of equipment, and ended up selling both of the boats that I owned at the time. I have completed my self-imposed sentence of being confined to the bank, and am thankful to have found this old boat. I'll gladly get to the fishing a little slower to ensure getting there safely.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That's the perfect boat for pond hopping or small lakes! Definently a fair weather boat. Any modifications, I would add some rod holders and maybe a fish locator, but that's up to you. Anyhow, great job on the purchase and I hope it serves you well!! Congrats!!

5. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats! Fishing from a boat opens so much more water. One thing I've found with the boats that I have is that making them yours is really fun. Research different mods, (rod holders, storage, etc.) and then make the additions that you like. At this point you're not just the boat owner, now the boat reflects your personal touch.

Have fun!

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats Jim! Sorry to hear about your previous loss! Did you get an early release from your sentence for good behavior?!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great looking boat. I could not fish without mine at this point!! I hate bank fishing. I would add some rod holders so that you can relax a little while fishing!

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro

Thanks Matt. No early release, the time was profitable. I don't want to take anything for granted. I had spent most of my life on the water in MA, sailing local ponds in a 14' sailboat, duck hunting in salt marshes in adverse conditions, fishing in coastal rivers and in Cape Cod Bay in a 17' skiff, and boating the Intracoastal here in NC. On a clear, calm summer evening I swamped my jon boat because I loaded it improperly (too much weight up front). I left the launch, turned up river and the water came in over the bow. An inexusable mistake for a veteran boater. I don't want to overload this boat with gadgets, but I would like to optimize it's catfishing potential. Thanks all for the feedback.

9. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rodholders, a few lights and your butt in the seat is all it needs to work flawlessly. Be carefull brother!:wink:

10. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    if your really want to go all out with the boat I suggest you check out tinboats .net there is a list of some really modified and amazing jon boats, I just got a 12' V-hull that I am going to put a forward casting deck in with a live-well made of a plexiglass aquarium and aerator (hopefully).

Here is a preview of the website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNyg5gvA5b8

P.S. I am not sure why but if I remove the space between boats and .net it puts in a bunch of periods... not sure if that site is being boycotted or something but if the admins will let me know if I am violating something I'll remove it.

11. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Congrats on the boat Jim, She looks sea worthy and just needed a Captain again.:wink:

12. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro

Cameron, Welcome to the BOC. DANZIG sent me the info on that website. There's a lot of good info on there. Thanks.