My New Boat....Well, Sorta

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Crackr, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pontoon.jpg My buddy and I purchased these one-man pontoon boats from Rural King last week, and we're going to try these out on White River this coming weekend. My thinking is to use this simply to get to a sandbar where I can't normally get to and cast to logjams and such. My buddy thinks he'll be able to fish from the "boat". I told him if he hooks into a big cat, especially a flathead, it could drag him into a logjam and pierce one or both of the inflatable bladders on each side, capsizing quickly. Am I crazy? Is he crazy? Are we both nuts? I'm still anxious to try it out. Any thoughts welcome.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good luck. I don't think your crazy could put you in a good spot to fish from that normally wouldn't be fished.

3. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I think you right use it to get to spots to fish from the bank dont know if I would fish off it.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I bet it would be a blast to be fished off of! Just drop a 8-10 pound anchor and you will be good! A big fish on that would be the fight of alifetime. let us know how it goes!

The only downside I see is that he can basically only have one pole while if u fish off bank u can have three.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, you are both crazy. Don't know of many fishermen who are not though.

6. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Wow if ya hooked a big one on that thing life would certainly be interesting, you know what they say what dont kill ya only makes ya stronger right :lol:

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you may consider getting some flippers for your feet, that way you can carry more equipment. are get a tube and put a piece of plywood are something to cover the top and you have a "trailer".

8. chattycatty

chattycatty New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great boat, but be careful out there. Don't put yourself or your new transportation in any kind of danger taking chances. Do what you think is best in your situation.

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You might get introduced to water skiing real fast...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Everything takes longer than you think.

10. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Hey Crackr, I would say your thinking outside the box!:lol: Sometimes the craziest ideas are the best. I would probably stay away from strong current. Maybe it would be possible to rig a small battery and use a trolling motor, then add in the trailer idea, you'd have a heck of a set up that could make it to some tight spots! Keep us posted!

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I vote for crazy!

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Good Luck Brother and I hope you on a big one

13. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    you can get to spots "most people dont normally fish" with your boat. i have a skeeter bass boat and i'll float it in any river. a good pair of chest waders inables you to walk in the river pulling your boat through where u cant motor. with the boyancy, im able to pull my boat through extremely shallow water, over logs, ect... my opinion crackr, is your flirtin with disaster. so have fun. id atleast try it myself. im just that type of person. good luck man

14. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks y'all for your replies. Tomorrow is the "big day" for us to try them out. I promise a full report, good or bad, by Monday.

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So what part of the White rirver you going to be fishing Crackr?

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

How did the lil boat do? Let us know, if we don't hear from you soon we may send out a search party.

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    those are made to fly fish out of and you need to wear flippers with most models but I seen your set up had the ores on it. Good luck I use a floot tube but I only use it in calm waters. I couldnt emagine trying to fight my way back up a river in one. your feet put off a lot of drag.