My new boat- check it out and give me your opinoins

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Localhero813, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is a 1957 Chrysler 16 foot v bottom with a full deck as you can see, a Mercury Mariner stalker trolling motor and an old Silent 61 depth finder(changed to a hummingbird 100sx). The motor is a 1972 4hp johnson 2cyl 2stroke. the trailer is a pos and needs rollers but it will work for the rest of the summer. It has a nice electic winch to pull that bad boy on there(it needs it). the deck is made from 2x2 and 2x4 with 3/4 inch marine grade plywood so it weights a ton it the front but it seems to stable it out when the big boats go by. looking to put in a livewel so if you have any sugestions let me know.:cool2:

Attached Files:

2. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    here are some more pics

Attached Files:

3. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    one more pic

Attached Files:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If she'll float and run, it outta do the trick. There is some pics of different livewells and their riggin here. Congrats on your new ride.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It looks like a catfish machine. I think it will do just fine. Let us know what modifications you make.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Enjoy your new ride on the water. That motor should save you money on gas and still get you to the special spots.

7. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like a nice fish'n machine.:smile2:

From the pictures you may want to look at doing something to extend that trailer. It doesn't look like it providessupport to the transom.
    If that is correct I wouldn't want to tow it for very long distances.

8. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks , and yes the trailer needs to be longer. this winter i wil completely strip the trailer and repaint and redo the bunks as there were made for flat bottom and so were the rollers. db:cool2:

9. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also i am in the process of putting navagation lights and a bilge pump as well as inteior lights wired through a switch panel, in which i dont know how to waterproof , or if it needs waterproofed.

thanks db:cool2:

10. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Congrats on your new ride. Once you getter done I'm sure you will proud of her. Looks like the catfish better beware! Your coming after e'm!. Good luck and be safe.....

11. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I think you got you a nice boat there. You could pay twenty thousand dollars on a boat and that don't mean you going to do any better fishing, if she gets the job done. Thats what counts...I wish you lots of happy day's fishing..Thanks for sharing with us..

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    looks like it should catch the fish:big_smile:, like RivrLivn said extending the trailer is a must,you don't want to brake its back(the keel) if it were me i would extend the trailer at the tung and not the rear and bring the boat forward and add rollers to the tube to rest the keel on, you mite not need to add that much to it but the transom needs to be fully supported , think n if your going to use it for catfishn ya mite want to put it back to the way it was built by getting rid of the decks and lower the floor and seats, you'll be surprised on how much more stable it will be and just how much more safer you will feel by getting rid of the weight up high :wink: just a thought

good fishn

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Nice Ride hope you have lots of cat fun in it
    im wanting to get a fixer uper myself next year hopefully:wink:

14. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I hope it gets you where you want to go. Can not ask for more than that from any boat. :wink:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    I AGREE with river bud. move the boat forward on trailer if possible. when doing the wireing. they are expensive lil boogers but use the heat shrink connectors. thell be waterproof.

good luck. hows that motor run??

16. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The motor is an upgrade to my last boat that was pushed with a troller. it runs good after you get it started but it is a little cold natured. and you have to run the choke at 3/4 choke , i dont know why but that is the only way it runs.:confused2:
    thanks db

17. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Like some of the guys have already said.....if it floats, doesn't leak and is stable while walking around the edges, it'll work for a cat-boat! :wink:

18. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks guys , the mount for the winch cannot go up any farhther so we are going to have to run some longer bunks to support it. We believe the trailer was for a 14 foot boat but im not shure.

19. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Daytona,
    Congrats on your new ride ,,,small sugjestion is you might want to add a safty chain to hook to the front of the boat,, if the winch fails thats all thats holding the front of the boat to the trailer.. but really nice ...:wink:
    puddle...

20. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    It looks like it will get the job done!