My new bluegill live bag

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by tbartek, Jun 27, 2008.

1. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I made a new live bag for keeping my gills in. It's about 12" in diameter and around 12" deep. I usually take 8 or 10 gills with me when fishing all night and the bag is just the right size. I've included instructions and pictures in case anyone wants to make their own.

Materials needed for Tim's bluegill bag:

The first and most important thing is a wife that sews
    1 - Yard of aquatic mesh fabric
    3 - 36" long 1/8" aluminum welding rods
    1 - 36" length of 1" clear vinyl tubing
    1 - 1/2" plastic threaded pipe nipple 2" long
    3 - 10 gage electrical crimp-on butt connectors
    15' of parachute cord
    1 - pushbutton cord stop
    8 - 1 oz. egg slip sinkers

All materials except the fabric can be found at a good hardware store or in your tackle box. I got my fabric from a place called Collins Cottage. Their web site is http://www.collinscottage.com The fabric was only $4.95 a yard. I have less than $10.00 in the whole thing.
    First I drew a pattern for my wife to sew the bag. I've included a copy of the pattern for anyone who wants to make their own. Next, I used my minnow bucket as a form to bend the aluminum rods into a circle. Then, thread the rods one at a time through the three small hemmed pockets. These are joined end to end with the crimp connectors. I used a 5/32" drill bit to open the holes up in the sinkers so the rod would slide through easily. When I threaded the rod in the bottom hem, I popped the rod out of the hem at regular intervals to run the rod through the slip sinkers to weigh the bottom of the bag down. When the bottom hoop was in my wife sewed the bottom of the bag shut.
    Next I inserted the vinyl tubing into the big hemmed pocket near the top of the bag. I joined the two ends together with the 1/2" plastic pipe nipple. My wife then sewed the slit shut in the big pocket that you have to make to insert the tubing. This tubing keeps the top of the bag floating. I then inserted some parachute cord through the double hemmed pocket at the top of the bag and put the cord stop on the ends of the parachute cord. This makes sure the bag stays closed and the gills stay in while its in the water.
    Last of all I used some more parachute cord to apply handles and a tie cord to the bag. The bag works perfectly and the gills stay a lot livelier in the river than in a bucket. Plus, you don't have to listen to the aerator all night long.
    I looked at similar bags from Bass Pro for $40.00 and read reviews that said how crappy the quality of the bags were so I made my own. If I do say so myself it came out great. Thank God my wife can use a sewing machine.

Attached Files:

2. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    More pics of the bag project.

Attached Files:

3. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    And the last of the pics.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great job, it looks great. I too hate listening to the aerator all night long.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank You Tim that is one great looking live bag and should be in the Library!!! What do You think Brian???? Reps to you Sir. J.D.:wink:

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great post, a nice addition to our library. Click here to see it in the Member Library. Thanks for sharing your great idea with our membership.

7. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Awesome job on that bag. Great work and one hell of a idea. Your wife's sewing is excellent too... Your right about the ones at Bass Pro. Mine never really held up.:big_smile:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with JD on this one. Great idea. Excellent work. Reps to you.

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    That is one great looking bag!! I might just see if I can make one myself. Thanks!!!

10. Alex J

Alex J Guest

That looks fantastic! Thank you!

What kind of thread would be best to use for this application? I just saw some glow in the dark polyester thread that might be neat to use. :smile2:

Just out of curiosity, given the $10 in materials you say this takes, what kind of price would you put on one of these if you were selling them, compared to BPS's $40? I mean, could you sell them for $20-25 and still feel fairly compensated for your sweat equity? I'd certainly rather buy this MADE IN THE USA product over what undoubtedly isn't from BPS, even if you did have to charge $30-40.:big_smile:

11. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I don't know about selling them Alex, my wife would probably kill me if I tried to put her into production :smile2:
    Almost forgot, my wife said she used polyester upholstery thread,,, whatever that is.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. he already got reps from me . thats cool. good inovatuion.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    VERY NICE!!!!! Wish my wife sewed :embarassed:....

14. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Well I had to offer some props to the place I got the bag fabric from. The other night there were three or four gar trying to get into my bag and there was no visible damage to the netting. Tough stuff.

15. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Way to go with the gill bag, I wondered if those garinas would tear it up or a big ole flathead swallow it whole :smile2::eek:oooh: Reps to ya, and thank you Bryan for adding it to the library. :wink:

16. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I love it..please send one to..:smile2:...lol.......if I could only sew,:eek:oooh: as I do not want a wife:embarassed:, hahaha

17. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Good looking bag. I'm going tomorrow to find the material. Mabe my better half will take pity on me and sew it for me.:smile2:
    How did you form the rings?

18. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Jim, I wrapped the aluminum rods around a 3-gallon bucket to shape the hoops.