"My name is Ladyfish & I'm a Plant-a-holic"

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, it starts innocently enough. A small flower bed, a few periwinkles or marigolds. Then, years later.....some daylillies. Then, the next year....a few more daylillies. The flower bed has to be enlarged; bare spots have to be filled; a combination of sun & shade...in one bed!! So now, I've got an enlarged bed, about 20 different types of daylillies--some last year's, some new!--plus, for shade....Hostas, caladiums, New Guinea impatiens, begonias. Then zinnias, marigolds, perrenial sage, pentas, pincushion flower, even a couple of volunteer sunflowers for the sunny part!!
    Help me!! I can't stop!! And I'm sooooo happy with it........so far!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Absolutely gorgeous, Roxie!
    Those are some posies to be proud of :cool2:
    You've worked hard and it shows... such a pleasure when hard work is a joy and a work of art, to boot!
    Thanks for the photos, too - they're an inspiration! Our prolonged freeze was quite a set-back here, but seeing what you've done there gives me fresh zeal :lol:

3. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Well they say the first step is admitting you have a problem....but I don't see any problem there. :wink: :lol: It looks lovely, Roxie.

We just moved into a place last fall where I can have a nice sized garden to plant. Just have to wait for the frosts to be over now. :confused2:

Probably won't look as nice as yours this year, but maybe I can work up to it.

4. sistercatfish

sistercatfish New Member

State:
    GA
    WOW! You surely have green thumb! Looks real pretty and healthy flowers too. I hope to do as well as you but I don't think I will be able to lol.I am not very good at growing plants or flowers.
    Great flower bed Ladyfish.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like Ma...:smile2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any.

6. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Looks great Roxie I think you need to order some flowers off ebay.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    beutiful and i bet the butterflys have a ball.i have a water garden and as soon as it comes up ill post some pictures.

8. ratherbracin

ratherbracin New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisiana
    It's gorgeous, Roxie. I've got you some seeds set aside for Texas star and Mexican sunflower.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys! I had a rehab moment today! I was in Wally World, had a plant in my hand.....and put it back!! Gosh, that was hard to do. (But....the week's not over yet!:lol:)

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Beautiful Roxie! It's a hard habit to break! I went to the river yesterday to some cabins with Becky. (Ancient cabins 100-200 years old) Dug up ONLY the flowers I didn't have any of, for 2 hours, AFTER I had purchased 2 flats of pansies and perinneals, 2 azalea bushes. I planted some last night by the light of the moon, the rest are in the flats still or the containers I put them in from the cabins, OR the bird bath, waiting to be planted. Thought I would continue today, but Mom sent me on some missions today, then it started to rain, so I just watched a movie instead. I once kept daylilies in water for 6 or 8 weeks, prior to planting them.........just had to change the water every few days to keep the skeeters from multiplying.

So there is my short testimonial, that I am right there in that boat with you.

Isn't life grand??????? :crazy:

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    great lookin' beds Roxie. I'm lookin' forward to gettin' home and seein' Carmens flower beds. I bet they are lookin' good too.

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, I think I've actually got the bed completely filled up! Carmen brought me a wonderful little plant, & I actually had to find a spot for it....but I found one!! I've got 3 big sunflowers right now that are taking up quite a bit of space. Once they're done, I'll pull them up & everything else can fill out. One of the sunflowers came up through a hole in one of my rocks edging the bed! I'll have to get a picture of it! My daylillies are all beginning to bloom; I feel like an expectant mother....well, almost!....just watching them daily as they mature. I'll keep you posted. For now, it looks like my plant-buying habit is cured!:tounge_out:

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Looking forward to more pictures, Roxie... sounds wonderful! Our wacky weather and that late freeze knocked alot of the outdoor-motivation outta me, so I'll have to enjoy most of my gardening this season via photos :smile2: Directing my energies at the moment into some interior work... just finished puttin vinyl tile onto my son's bedroom floor and now I'll paint the walls in there. He's picked out a shade of blue called "royal plume"... lol. It's perty.
    I've enjoyed mowin the weeds... ermm, I mean lawn... and my hangbaskets and pots are doin good, but I never put anything more into the ground.
    Hmm... do have a few more empty pots lyin around here... maybe another trip to the garden center is in order... :cool2: Thanks again for the continued inspiration!

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    This sega palm isn't mine....it's my Dad's. But maybe it'll help you see where I get my love of plants from. We brought him this palm 25 years ago when we came back from Florida; it was in a 1 gallon pot. He is now giving us "babies" off of it! Last year it had a huge bloom/pod in the center, & it's doing it again this year. Check it out!

Attached Files:

15. ratherbracin

ratherbracin New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisiana
    Roxie, that's really neat. After seeing your garden this evening, it's pretty obvious to me that you inherited his "green thumb". Your garden is gorgeous! I'm curious though, are the century plants (towers) flowering? If so, could you post a pic, cause I've never seen one flower.

16. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Roxie, That is awesome! Since I'm not too familiar with Southern plants and trees, this is a real treat. And you know, the flower in the center of that palm reminds me of some sort of sea creature... like an anemone or something. Very cool :lol: Thanks for the photos!

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Roxie,,

Great sega!

I've tried at least half a dozen, but eventually the brain forgets it's gonna get cooler and the sega gets frost bit, and dies, or I give them away and they die.........so I must be a killer to those or something. I tell you what, as hot as it's been here, this summer, so far, then they would love it here at the moment.

Resigned to the fact, that I can't grow a sega, in TN, or perhaps I don't care enough about them to grow them? Hmmmm, maybe that's it.

Now, tell me, how did you get all the weeds out of your beautiful gardens that I saw on here, the other day.....

Might be coming back that way from CA soon. I was told to stay on interstate 10, straight across, do you agree? Notice I didn't ask the men here.......They can't even seem to keep the upper hand on fishin' tourneys, best I can tell.........:crazy::lol:

18. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys. Carmen, the only picture I've got of the century plant blooming is the first one I posted, on the Century Plant thread, & it's too far off to see them. But my dad says he's made lots of pictures of them through the whole process, so I'll see what I can come up with for ya!
    Cheryl, that sega of my dad's has been sooooo pampered! It stayed in a pot for years so he could move it in & out of the house during the winter. Then it got really big, & in a really big pot, so he built it a little mini greenhouse for the cold winter snaps we have. He even put a heat lamp on it a couple of times through the years!:cool2: It's now planted in a corner by the back of the house, where, if need be, he can protect it relatively easily from the cold! As I said.....very pampered! But I'm so proud of him for doing this. He's really got a great gift with "greens"!!
    Hope, I agree....last year we were calling the "bud" a little alien! Kinda freaky looking!:crazy:

19. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Oh, Cheryl....I don't know why, but I haven't been fighting weeds to much so far. I guess because my flower bed is out front, so I pass by it all the time. I'll stop, pull a couple here & there, & go on by. I didn't put out fresh mulch after last year's issues with the termites! I guess between the shade from the Redbud tree & the straps from the lilies, it keeps the weeds to a minimum.:roll_eyes:

20. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's been my method for weeding, too, Roxie... pulling some each time I pass by. With all the rain we've had, they'd be the healthiest green things in our yard, if I didn't tackle them daily (several times daily, even). Keeps me hoppin :smile2:
    I'm on my way outside now to move all the potted flowers into shaded areas... and just pray for enough rain to keep them going... we're supposed to have mid-90's throughout the next 10 days. Soon as we can get it together here... tomorrow evening, most likely, we'll head out on the road, north to Michigan.
    My oldest daughter there has just been diagnosed with Crohn's disease.
    Thirty minutes ago, they took her into surgery, potentially to remove part of her intestine... but they don't really know what they'll find.
    So the zoo and the gardening are in God's hands, as is my girl.
    Takin along teen's laptop, so hope to check in as possible.
    Will be thinkin of y'all...

With love,
    Carolyn