My most effective bait this year

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by pylodictis, Oct 13, 2006.

1. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i've only been fishing cats for about a year total, but i've tried just about every bait out there in that time. as far as channels go, the best and biggest bites i've gotten have come on any cut baitfish i've taken out of the spots where i fish the channels. mostly, that's consisted of mooneye and bluegill.

i've heard that catfish have stored in their memory the smell and taste of every meal they've ever had. that would mean that we're most likely to get them to bite on what's familiar to them. (that would also mean that they're a lot smarter than predatory fish, trout, bass, etc., that hit things based on motion and appearance as well.) that especially goes for the big cats that have the longest and most extensive catalog of smells and tastes. it's just a theory, but it seems like it works.

cats are my number one fish now, and probably 'til i die, so i'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has heard this theory or tested this out.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Brain I have heard the same thing, I believe it was on the Discovery channel, but I could be having a case of half-himers right now.

3. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    It makes since... I was fishing a pond a couple of months ago for channels & there were about 8 other people near me, they were all using prepared baits( dip, hotdogs, etc.) I was using cut shad straight from the bait tank. I was smokin everyone around me & it all boils down to what the fish wants vs. what they will eat. I will never use dip bait If I have fresh (within an hour) cut bait.

4. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    perch worked best 4 me

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know this is not related to the post but what did you catch that buffalo with in your picture? They are very inactive unless you snag them, at least thats my experience and I so far have not landed one.

6. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    hi, catman. i believe i caught this one on corn (thawed frozen corn) and a particularly small hook, maybe a 10. but, i have caught big ones on small pieces of worm and chicken livers, and with hooks as small as #14 and 4lb test. this one came in the spring when they're practically jumping onto the shore to get at the bait. i think they were fattening up before their spawn.
    basically, they seem to tend to behave like carp. they hit the same way and seem to like the same baits. try fishing them like carp.
    i guess it's an odd pic to have on my boc prifile, but i don't have pics with any of my catfish!

fish on

Attached Files:

7. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Me; I have had outstanding luck with 4" live shads.

8. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks a lot! I had no luck whatsoever this past summer when they just sat on the top. I will try this coming spring. What month is best? Are they near the surface or do you just cast anywhere... thanks

9. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    hi, catman. being in pennsylvania, i'm sure there are some differences in water temperature, but i'd bet that your buffalo would start becoming active by late march. could be earlier. you don't need a big hook, but make sure you have at least 10 lb test on. from what i've seen, buffalo tend to be larger than carp. they tend to feed off the bottom in the shallows, just like carp. buffalo are a native species, not like carp which were introduced from asia. corn is really effective, but make sure it's frozen corn or cut it straight from the cob- canned corn tends to be soggy and hard to keep on the hook. the juice makes good chum, though.
    i don't tend to fish in the mid-summer months, but when i have gone, the smallmouth buffalo have been more active than a lot of other fish. i think you'll have some more success next spring. but, don't forget they should be fattening up just like everything else this fall.

good luck to you,

-b

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Last summer the blues seemed to prefer Skipjack but this summer shad has outfished skipjack everytime I have had both.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The best all around bait to me is the eel, wheather I use them live or cut. You can cut an eel in half and it will live for hours bleeding into the water attracting the fish. I mostly like them because catfish cant strip the bait off your hook, eels are very durable baits and I have caught about 2000 lbs of cats this year on them and bluegill.

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    If your looking to catch Buffalo try bread or Cotton Seed cakes, either work well.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice pic of them carp:wink: I been thinking of targeting carp more on my cat trips. Thanks Brian for the post.

14. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Perch,perch,perch.It's been a killer flathead bait for me this year(live).not saying its the best,just saying that it sure was the pick for me this year,best flathead fishin iv'e had on the missouri river in a few years.:smile2:

15. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    thanks, malichi. i neglected to mention that there are quite a few things buffalo will hit on. some might vary by region. i'd imagine a lot of the information on the carp page would be useful to buffalo hunters as well.

-b

16. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    cut blue gill has been doin me right. some like the head some like the tail some like the stomch with the gut sack. i guess it depends on what they want.

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    earlier in the year skipjack worked well here for me but as the summer came i found shad whole or cut was the bait of choice

18. Dogfish

Dogfish Guest

chickin livers and garlic powder do it for me!

19. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    this makes since but i am not sure if i believe cats are smarter than trout or at least not native trout because around here fishing for natives is alot like hunting. Yo have to be realy carefull not to let a fis see you or the cloths your wearing but there is no doubt that cats are smart

20. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Somone must have introduced chicken into my waters, cause its caught me all my records :lol:

Granted, I use fresh cut bait too, but mostly in the cold months