My Monster Livewell, and Rod Holders Mod in Progress..

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by tbull, Oct 3, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just wanted to show some progress on this mod, its a long time coming. I have a very deep boat, so it really helped me make this possible. I fish alot of tournaments, and added a 100 gallon cattle tank to my boat. Am actually building it under my front deck. This baby will hold anything I will ever catch I can tell ya that lol....

I have actually had the tank for a long time now, the first time I actually just had a large piece of plywood cut to shape, sitting on top of the livewell. Horrible design, was just doing what I could to get by for a while. I am actually taking the time to do it right this time. I am building the frame off the tank, in the pics you can see the progress I made today. Now the wood on top is being pulled down to the sub floor. there was still some wood down there to work with, this way the tank cannot move, its pretty much boxed in, and the wood on top of the tank is being pulled down by braces I have screwed to the floor. The good thing is that I hardley had to drill into any aluminum at all. There are 2 layers of weather stripping underneath the plywood, around the rim of the tank. Now that it's sealed, I wont have to take a bath on shad/catfish water anymore while running down river..

In these pics you will see just the beginning. There are 3 lines going to the livewell. One is the fill, I tapped into the existing livewell fill line that was original on the boat. Another is the aerator. Its a flowrite fitting that I had to mod to fit into the side of the tank. They are designed to sitting vertical, but I was able to modify a horizontal fitting and get the same effect. And the 3rd line is basically an exhaust, that way ammonia and other gases that build up can escape without having to keep the lid open. That line runs to a through hull fitting thats on the front of the boat, right next to my boat numbers, but plenty high enough to never go below the water line. To drain the tank I tapped into the original livewell drain line, converted it to one line, and installed a larger fitting so it just takes a standard drain plug. Just pull the plug and she drains right out.

Attached Files:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    a few more...the rod holders will be done last, gotta get this done first.

Attached Files:

3. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i like that alot. i wish a had a good place to put a big live well. but i have a 16 john boat so i dont have room like that. i really cant come up with any good ideas. im just going to have to stick what ever i come up with in the middle of my boat it looks like:embarassed:

oh well good job it looks great:big_smile:

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Looks good. I just went through a similar project putting one in my boat. Are you going to insulate it? It might help if you could. I put a inch of insulation around mine, bottom has a little more. Either way you will have something you can really use.

5. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    very nice..thats my next project..good luck..

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great job Travis!! That will be great once you're finished.
    I use a 1/2 of a 30gal barrel with a live well pump in my 16' john boat, but I just use it for bait. Since I don't do the tourney thing.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No I didnt insulate, have never had any problems in that tank with bait or catfish yet, so we'll just go without for now. Give me another excuse for a project down the road...:smile2::smile2:

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Is that pressure treated wood? Kind of looks like it, but I can't tell for sure. If it is, the chemicals in the wood could leach out and cause damage to any bare aluminum that it comes in contact with, eventually eating it away. As long as there's something between the wood and aluminum, you'll be ok. Is that tank aluminum? Or galvanized metal?

Any rate, that's a heck of an idea, and a good project. You'll be able to handle just about any cat in that tank.

9. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Looking good , thanks for the ideas.

10. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    tbull, 3006 is right. I just had a pole building put up and the contractor put roofing tar paper anywhere the treated wood would touch the aluminum siding and roofing. He said it would eat the metal over time. Might want to do something before you button it up. Nice looking job by the way.

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Not trying to tell you your biz. but is the bottom of your tank fully supported? It didn't look that way in the pics,and I worry that with a load of water and fish in it you could blow the bottom out of your tank,especially if you hit some rough water.

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The tank is supported, evenly spaced 2x4s underneath, just could not see in the pic. Like I said, I have been using this tank since april, have had it close to full and full of fish, hitting the roughest water posssible with no problems, and that was before this thing was sealed and locked in place.

The tank is galvanized....

The wood on the top is pressure treated, the only reason I went with it is because the one on the top is not in contact with the aluminum. Any wood on the bottom is older wood that I had already sealed from earlier projects. Thats why I went with the pressure treated, since its a floating deck and not in contact with the aluminum at all.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Looking good Trav.
    Are you going to be using the same rod rack you have now or making a new one of those too?

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

Same one..

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Pic from today progress, almost done thank god..

Attached Files:

16. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
  17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Deck is Finished

Attached Files:

18. ammo warrior