My Merc 25Hp is blown and the shop wants $1200

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dip, Aug 29, 2006.

1. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    to rebuild it. i told him to do it but i didn't feel good about it. i'm not even sure i can afford 1200 right now so i might have to sell the boat. oh well, my daughter starts 5th grade 2morrow so all ain't bad.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That is terrible dip, I feel for you. Gave any thought to just buying another boat/Motor. I paid $500 for a 15 ' bass boat with a 50 HP johnson on it. That would sure be cheaper to do than to pay that much for a rebuild.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Dip Sorry to here about Your motor Sir. Thats a real Bummer I feel your pain. I shure hope it dosen't cost no $1200.00 Dollars to repair.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

1200 dollars what is that 900 for labor and 300 for parts. JK. I know zero about fixing a boat motor but have been lucky in the past to have some close friends that had the knowledge, so I feel your pain.

5. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sorry to hear about your motor brother I don't know how old it is but you might want to look at another motor you can find one in really good shape for that price:confused2:

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You'll still have a used motor with an extra $1200 in it...:roll_eyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Dip that sucks brother, hope you find another one cheaper or find a way to fix this one.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There is a place here in NC that has brand new 25 hp 2 stroke yamahas installed for 2499 and 2899. I am almost positive that you would be able to find a used one in good shape for less than what they are wanting to fix your for. I know you are in OHIO but the place here is called A.K. McCallums.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I feel for you, we have a used 35hp Mercury motor, been in the shop once, paid $450 for repairs, and now it's in the shop again and probably going to be $800 or more, not to mention the $640 we spent on having the trailer fixed. Should have just gotten a new rig. Anyway, everything should be good on it after this next repair. The guy we bought our boat and motor from apparently didn't take care of it, and now it's costing us big time, at least the boat is awesome though, it's a Lund.

10. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'd think twice about paying that much if it isn't too late. A quick search on ebay reveals some running motors you could buy for cheaper, and still have your old motor for parts.
    I know there are sites that sell rebuilt powerheads, you just send in your core. I don't think it's too hard to remove the powerhead and slap a fresh rebuilt one on.

11. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I have an I/O and know less than nothing about outboards but it sure seems to me that you could get a better price than that, what did they say was wrong with it? I agree with everyone else I have seen other used ones for less money than your repairs hope it works out for ya

12. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    only thing is i bought this one used and haven't put many hours on it and it crapped out. buying a used motor is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ditch the boat and come bank fishing with me, you will catch a flat!

14. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    That's the best advice so far Jack!
    A boat is just a hole in the water you pour money into.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bought it used huh?

Did you get a compression check before you bought it?
    Change out the water pump after you bought it?
    Get the carb cleaned to insure it was running as good as it could?
    Dump the gas tank and clean it out to insure you had the proper mix, and fresh gas?
    Check the prop shaft and change out the lower unit oil?

If the answer to any of these questions is no, don't blame it all on it being a used motor, and being a member of the BOC, you can't claim ignorance of these check points. They've posted for you to read.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Heck, I have a 20 that feels like it has a spun prop but runs like a champ for $300.00
    I would never pay that for a 25hp (used). $1200.00 can buy you a lot nicer motor.

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dip, I been there with the used motor on the smurf boat but luckily have only sunk an additional 300 into the motor so far all for stupid little stuff, labor mostly, parts havent been too bad. So I feel for ya, but I been watching ebay real hard lately and you can get a 2-3 year old 9.9 4 stroke for about 12-1400 with only minimal hours on them, so Im sure if you look real good you can find a great deal, in fact, Im trying to sell my 35 johnson for 900 and it runs great now, ( now that I just put 300 into it) :eek:oooh: it comes with controls, and is a 76 model. I really want a 9.9 tiller for the local lakes which are all 9.9 ( Cowan, Acton)

Good luck brother!

Salmonid

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would hope that all potential used boat and motor buyers will listen to BobPaul and go to the library.Just read all the motor woes that have been posted over the years and take heed.ALWAYS assume the person that owned the motor DIDN"T do anything other than put gas (and oil if needed in it).90% of all motors become "used" and for sale because they just don't run like they used to.:sad2:.If you are thinking of putting serious money into a used boat or motor you can pay a professional to survey it for you,or have a mechanic friend look it over for you.Or you can pay a mechanic to do it.100$ for a thorough check still leaves you 1100$ ahead so far.Most of the boating magazines publish a yearly "HOW TO BUY A USED BOAT"article that can help you avoid the pitfalls.If the deal looks to good to be true then it is to good to be true.Outboards are some of the most neglected engines on the face of the planet when it comes to maint.Thats why there are so many used ones out there.AT the VERY LEAST ask the owner what kind of PM he did on the engine.If he cant tell you right off the bat when he changed the plugs,the lower unit oil, the fuel filter,if he uses fuel stabilizer,if the impeller has been replaced etc then walk away.Anybody that takes good care of their equipment is proud of that fact and can tell you these things and a lot more.:smile2:

19. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    that realy suck i to can feel your pain

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jim that is some good solid advice man. The first thing I reach for when I go to check out a used motor is my compression gage. The compression will tell you tons about one.
    I love it when some one tells me well it ran fine the last time out. That is almost used as much as the check is in the mail.
    There are a lot of good used motors out there to be had and all you have to do to get one is educate your self on what to look for.