My maiden voyage

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 5, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After three trips on the Missouri with Branden and advice from many on this board I finally decided I knew enough to try the river on my own this evening. My little 16 foot lowe jon boat did just fine. The 20 hp mercury was more than enough to push me against the current. The anchor several of you recommended held us in place with no slippage at all. We didn't catch any thing but it was still a blast trying. There was a nice breeze the entire time we were there. I didn't think it would be a good idea to stay on the river after dark with our limited experience so we came in at dusk. A couple of more trips and well be ready for some late nights.
    Thanks again for everyones help and opening my eyes to a hidden treasure!

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats and keep your eyes open and you'll be fine. Learning to read the water takes a while, but all it takes is time and careful observation. I would think Brandon to be a reliable guide as far as navigating the river or catching fish.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats, you will be a certified river/lake captain before you know it, at least you will feel like one.

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Where did you put in dale?Me and brandens heading out friday and saturday next weekend ,we are fishing up by the kaw friday and lexington saturday,

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Ha ha, I can show people how the daymarks work, but I"m lucky if I can put myself on fish, let alone any body else:smile2:

Dale is actually the one that picked th spot where I caught my PB blue AND flat:big_smile:

Dale, glad to hear you and John had a good trip! Now that you've made that first trip they'll just get easier from here on out

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dale congrats on a safe river trip. Your confidence will rise after each trip.

7. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We put in at Kaw point and plan to go back this evening to try again. Maybe we can meet up with you and Branden this coming up Friday.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    That reminds me of a time the other year. Branden calls me one night. Dude there's a barge coming what do I do. :smile2: Now he's returning the favor and being a expert river guide. Hey we need to hook up one of these nights for ol times sake man........

9. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Branden told me about the barge and the frantic call he made to you. I sure hope its during the day when it happens to me for the first time so I can see whats coming. I would think it would be pretty spooky at night. A man could sure get some great pictures though!

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I owe a lot to Josh and Robert for showing me the ropes on the river - and not laughing at me when I made the frantic barge call:big_smile:

We'll get together sometime this summer. Lemme know when you're going to be out my way prefishing for Doc's and we can take my boat out and save you draggin' yours so far:wink:

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Next week branden next week

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I worked as a tankerman on the river barges for 8 years. Get out of the way, ya ain't got enuff boat. My MOSTEST suggestion is spend all the time on that swift,dangerous,beautiful river as ya can. You'll soon get high water marks below your knees ans realize you found what ya was lookin for.:wink:

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Its not like the old days dale ,A person use to see one everytime you where on the river ,now you might see 3 or 4 a year around lexington.

14. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I guess the price of deisel makes it cheaper to truck it over the road.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    OH MY, what a crying shame I didnt know Ol Branden when his 'frantic' call came out for a barge coming down the river. Me thinks there most certainly would have been an avatar name change recommendation. :smile2:

Thats funny, you guys see so few barges you wonder what to do when you see one coming.

Over here, its a series of cuss words every 20 minutes as they keep coming. :smile2: On a more serious note, we Easties can attest that many catfish have been caught at the passing of a barge. Really stirs em up.

Your lucky Branden, I mean Erics Dad :smile2: Its a shame I tell ya I didnt know about that lil incident. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You guys back east have a lot more river to hide in, a lot more water to absorb the energy and a lot less current to magnify the wakes... And a lot more occurrences to learn from...

I've only had a few barges pass me on the river, and only one at night. I was able to get up in some backwater for the one at night and it was no big deal (he was going downstream too, which made it a lot less of a problem).

But ask DougC about the sand barge going upriver that we came up behind one afternoon in my old boat a couple of years ago... That was exciting to say the least... Waves big enough to swallow my boat, water splashing in over the transom and gunnels...

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I grew up with a kid that was from a long line of commerical fishermen on the Mo. river. His dad, uncle, grandpa were all commerical fishermen and he was raised on the river. The guy was NutZ. :eek:oooh:
    One of his favorite things to do was what he called barge surfin.
    He would get behind the barges going up stream and ride the roller they were throwing. He had a 14 or 16 ft. flat bottom and the only thing touching the water was the motor, they rest of the boat would be completely out of the water. Don't try this at home kids....:smile2:

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    There's no "sand barge bite" around here:smile2:, you just kind of ride the waves for a little while until you can anchor up again.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll never forget my first trip up the missouri. The water was so swift we would tie up at nite. We made it up to Jefferson city and managed to get tied up okay. After we got pumped off (oil barges) we turned her loose from the dock and when capt. went to top her around in the river, couldn't stop it's swing and hit the bank and broke up tow.Rodeo time,,,but after we chased our 4 barges down and re-rigged made it out of that swift sucker without killin anyone. I remember standing on the stern of the boat while flankin bends and could have literally stepped onto the bank. If ya back out of it your guaranteed a wreck, all you can do is hammer down and steer like hell won't have it. All towboat men should make at least one trip on the missouri.:big_smile:

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    When I made that call I wasn't sitting pretty in a 24' SeaArk, I was in a 15.5' 1963 Elgin 'glass boat. I think I was a bit justified:smile2: