My lucky day!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 5, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had a nice little German made binocular, 6X40 that I used for years hunting. They were the best I've ever had. Well, last year I had hiked a couple miles back into the National Forest from the Blue Ridge Parkway, and set up in a ground blind during Black Powder Season. The next day I was changing packs and realized that my binoculars were missing. I went to the store last weekend and was going to buy another pair for about $400. Luckily I waited. Today I went back into the mountains to do some scouting and jumped a deer. About 20' from where the deer was bedded, I found my binoculars!! It's a good day! I may have to buy a lottery ticket tonight! LOL:cool2:

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats great!! I had the same happen to me back when I was about 15 went camping with a friend and lost my wallet it only had my orange hunter safety card in it and the next year we camped in about the same spot and I cought a glimps of orange in the leaf brush and low and behold it was my wallet looked to be laying in the same spot for the full year. I still have my orange card today. but your right you do feel lucky running up on things like that.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Glad ya found em, 400 bucks is a lot of money, but so is losing something ya had for a lot of years.

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    a friend of mine lost a pair of binoculars, found them 1 month later on a big rock in the national forest (where he left them ),when he stopped to rest on opening day of deer season

5. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm glad you found them. At least you wont have to spend the $400.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is quit a lucky event!!! Congrats and let us know how that lottery ticket goes!

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    glad you found them. were you over near montvale? is there much sign over that way? i'm going to try to hunt montvale or mtn pass wed or thurs evening if you want to go.
    chip

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I was up at The Great Valley overlook area, Chip, above Montvale. I drove the bike up to the Peaks Of Otter to get my parking permit and thought I'd do some scouting on the way back. I saw one buck and one doe,( I was making a lot of noise singing and whistling so I didn't scare them. They just got up and walked off,) but there is a good bit of sign up there. I found one place that looked like a couple bucks got into a fight. That's the area that burned a few years ago and again last year. It's getting thick with ground cover in some areas and turning into a great bedding area. It looked like the fire stopped just short of where I lost my binoculars. There are no leaves on the ground in some areas but it didn't hurt many trees.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is an amazing story and find. Congrats.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Happy you found your bi-nocs ! Not just the money side but the memories that have been made looking through them . With the thicket coming on sounds like you found a good place especially if you the oaks are producing and maybe some honey suckle . I used to hunt torwards Nathaniel mountain( I think) . My great uncle had a lease in Hardy county in WV . Good luck this season .

11. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what was the brand of them binocs, i looked through a german pair not to long ago a firend of mine had, they were aswesome

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Congrats on finding them. That had to be a great feeling:big_smile:

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I believe they are Steiners, but I don't remember. They have been covered with camo tape for 25 years. It's still on them after 11 months in the woods!

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT find, Billie! I wouldn't trade my Steiners for any others.
    Bill in SC

15. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    The Great Spirit, and brother deer,led me back to them. They are Big Medicine!!!:big_smile:

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive had something similar happen as well. Went hunting a few years back and while changing pants I think I put my wallet on top of my truck. Well a couple days later I notice its missing so I go back to my spot. Something had chewed the corners off of all the money and Ids I had in my wallet and the wallet was destroyed. Everything was found in a straight line about 50 yards long. I got lucky though because I found all my Id's and the hundred bucks in it, even though the corners were bitten off I was happy. This was a while back when a hundred bucks was a little money. OH yeah, congrats on the find. IM still looking for a leatherman tool I lost 4-5 years ago.lol

17. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    wow!!!!!! talk about lucky...yeah buy a lotto ticket...good luck

18. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I have a leatherman tool and a few other tools in my arsenal that are un-looseable. Somethings for a true sportsman just can't be lost it seems. They always find their way back. You are a true bow hunter and I always look forward to reading you posts. I think your recurve would walk home and find it's resting place. They are part of you!

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats, a man can buy alot of arrows with 4oo bux. I would definitely buy lotto tickets. Hope ya win.:wink:

20. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I have several binoculars, some too big, and some too small. These are just the right size and gather light real well. I've carried them for more the 25 years while bow hunting. I'm glad I found them. Now if I can only find the S.O.B. that stole my stand last year!!