My Luck In Arkansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Blade4130, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Hi Guys,

Being here in Arkansas visiting familly has been nice. Not being able to fish hasn't been all that fun. I spent a day of searching around for a place to fish. I figured after I found somthing I liked I would hit wally world to buy a pole and a days license. Well, I found a nice looking place along the black river. I headed down to the bank to check it out. On my way back to my truck I felt something bite me just beneath my eye. I thought that maybe I got stung by a little bee or something as that little bite started to sting worse as I got to my truck. I looked at myself in the rear view mirrow and had two tiny little bites with just a little swelling underneath my eye. I figured it would go away and as I drove to wal-mart it just kept getting worse. By the time I got to wal-mart in a five minute drive my eye had almost swollen shut. Now I started to worry about what the hell bit me.

I got back to Jonesborough and I was in tons of pain. I could hardly see at all and now my whole jaw line and left side of my face was swollen and in extruciating pain. My aunt and uncle freaked when they saw me so off the hospital I go. Needless to say I got bit by a spider that the docs thought what could be a widow bite. Excuse my language, but that little F'er got me twice under my eye. They had a doctor called in that specializes in venom bites to look at me and sure enough I got bit by a black widow. I spent the night in the hospital with some of the most severe pain I have ever had. I got some shots and they had to force ear wicks in my ear. That hurt the worse when they did that and they had to do that twice as the swelling forced the wick back out of my ear.

The severe pain is gone, but man it still hurts like hell. Especially when I try to eat as my jaw is still a little swollen and sore, as well as my eye. With all the meds hopefully I will be 100% and have my purty face back <lol> by monday. I don't know, I may just hold off for a while to go fishing when I get back home in Missouri later this month. When I get back I will put up a couple of pictures with this post.

I sure hope things are going good for you guys back at home and I will soon read about your catches over the weekend:big_smile:

Don

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    That sounds rough. Hope everything gets back to normal for you. Maybe the girls will feel sorry for you if you show them the picture:smile2:. When you get back the best medician for you will be a trip on the MO river with me to catch a biggen. See you when you get back.

Tom

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune Don. Hope you get 100% well soon.

Hope this doesn't turn you against Arkansas fishing:eek:oooh:

Just goes to show ya that where ever you are you always gotta watch out for the creepy crawlies.:confused2:

4. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Nothing will turn me away from how I feel about Arkansas. I like it here and next time I will be making a fishing first, visiting familly second trip coming with my own equipment. I could have got bit at any place in any state. <lol> I just don't know how I managed to get so lucky. I may still try before I go, but for now I am staying away from those creepy crawlies in the sticks:eek:oooh: Tom, I look forward to getting back and getting on the river with you.

See you soon. For now I am resting, getting better and going to watch The Red Wolves play this weekend. They had a great game last week with their new name. I sure hope the Cheifs do well this Sunday:smile2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry to hear about that, Don. Usually all you have to watch out for here are the skeeters and the snakes.

6. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Don; I too got bit by a Black Widow. The funny thing is I never felt it bite me. However about 20 min. later I could not breath very well at all. I thought I was done for. My Dad rushed me to the hospital and they took care of me ( sort of ). Anyway I feel your pain!!. If you get up my way let me know and we will go fishing and talk about it.

Later Steve...

7. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Hey Don sorry to hear about your spider experience. Look on the bright side Steve's offering ya a free guided trip to talk it over. I would sure take him up on the offer. As I have fished with Steve on a few trips and you will learn tons of information from him. Plus he is a great guy to be around.

PS. Steve I think I am gonna get spider bit in December maybe we should talk it over on your Procat while wetting a few lines. LOL

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sorry to hear that. Man I'm glad you went to the ER when you did. Hope ya get better

9. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks guys, Steve I would love to go fishing with you and would make a trip anytime when I get back. My eye is getting back to normal, but it's still sore. I booked my flight back home this morning and will be back home this Wedsday night. That way I will be back home for my birthday on the 12th

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Spiders!!!!! I had rather be bitten by a rattler. I'm scared of spiders beyond belief.

11. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Next time your down give some of us arkies a little notice and we can meet up with ya and try to make it worth your while!!!:wink:

12. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hope you have a speedy recovery. Working as an Installer for our Local phone company i am in a lot of basements and dark crawl spaces and spiders are my worst thoughts, with snakes a close second.
    Happy early Birthday and Good Luck

13. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow, what a story. Glad to hear your feeling better. I've never been afraid of spiders, even mean looking ones (snakes on the other hand give me nightmares for days). I may have to rethink my thinking after hearing this story. Man that is crazy. That is alot of swelling to almost shut your ear canals. Good luck and karma to you when you fish again.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    What a bummer that sounds like some thing that would happen to me hope you get to feeling better:eek:oooh:

15. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks for sharing your story Don. I was bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider many years ago and it was one of the most painful things that I have ever gone through, but I have a nice scar, LOL. Good luck on your recovery and be safe traveling.

16. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Hey Don glad to hear that you are doing better and getting back this week. My B-day is on the 9th. Maybe we could go on the river for our B-Days:smile2:. Let me know when you get back and we will set up a date for sure to go and and hunt big cats:wink::smile2:.

Tom

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sorry to here about your bad luck, hope your next trip to this state is a better one. I'll play around with snakes but I can't stand spiders.

18. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks guys for all your comments. Tom, I look forward to fishing with you and happy birthday brother:smile2: I hope my encounter doesn't leave a scar, but then again I have plenty of them already <lol>. I like snakes and spiders, but damn I am really starting to dis-like spiders. I have been bitten once before five years ago when I worked at Grainger by a brown. This one was mild compared to that bite. That pain lasted a couple of weeks before showing signs of slowing down. Off course at that time being at work I had to go see Graingers own little quack doctor, take a drug test, before being able to hit a real emergency room four hours later. This time I was able to get to a hospital and a venom doctor fairly quickly. Things would have been much worse if I didn't get there so soon I think.

The swelling is almost gone away, but where the bites are, there are still fairly large sores. <lol> I sure hope the airlines don't give me to much trouble about it when I leave if it's not completly healed. I am taking all my medical records from my hospital trip just in-case. My father ordered me a new Ambassador 6500 trophy edition reel for my birthday and that should arrive by mail when I get back home. All in all Arkansas has been nice dispite what happened. I will get back down here to fish, but for now I am looking foward to getting back home to go fishing with my new reel:smile2:

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Hope you enjoy that new reel. You need to stay away from all spider areas. Being bit by a recluse and a black widow:crazy: wow, thats very "spider unlucky"

20. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I have been spider unlucky. Hopefully now I won't ever get bit again. I am so anxious to get back home to start fishing again. UPS tracking has my new reel arriving Wed:smile2: The same day I get back:smile2::smile2::smile2: I don't care what the weather is wed night as I will be out on the water for sure.