My Lowe 1652, in progress

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Wabash River Bear, May 29, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here's some pics of my jon project. I'll try to keep it updated throughout the transformation. First is some basic pics of the boat.

Attached Files:

2. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    An angle shot of the boat, and a shot of the motor.

Attached Files:

3. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Nice boat Im sure you will have fun with it! Go ahead and take a hammer and knock a dent in it and then you will go anywhere with it and not worry about it!
    :big_smile:

4. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Here are some shots of building a drop deck in front. I riveted 1/4" thick 2.5" x 2.5" aluminum angle to the bulkhead of the stock mini deck, and to the front of the middle seat/livewell. The stringers are 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum square tube, piggy backed and skip welded for rigidity. I riveted 1/8" aluminum plate to a set of ribs for the mounting of 2 battery boxes, a fuse block, and an onboard charger.

Attached Files:

5. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Here are the 1/8" aluminum hatchs and aluminum seat base. now I can set the final spacing on the stringers and weld it all up.

Attached Files:

6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I used 6 gage jumper cables to run from the motor to the starting battery up front. It runs in the channel pressed into the bottom of the hull and under the ribs. I used 3/4" foam pipe insulation to keep the cables from chafing.
    Heres an idea I had for a quick disconnect at the motor leads at the rear of the boat, welding cable connectors.
    I fabricated the switch panel from 1/8" aluminum plate, set at the agle where the ribs taper off at the top and welded the two pieces together. It is located within easy reach from the drivers seat. It holds a 12v. charging port, and 8 moisture resistant 20 amp switches for the bow light, stern light, rear interior light, center interior light, bilge pump, livewell pump, docking lights, and rod rack lights. There is also a front interior light with a switch mounted on the bulkhead of the stock mini deck which can be seen in some of the previous pics of the deck structure. I used 3/4" cpvc slid into the channels behind the ribs for conduit to keep all my wiring tucked away and safe.
    More to come later.

Attached Files:

7. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I've had it out on the lake a couple of times, and spent a couple days out on the Wabash River this past weekend. Its been muddied up, slimed, and put away wet. She's a utility/cat barge. She knows her place, and she's o.k. with it. LOL. :big_smile:

8. catfish_hooker

catfish_hooker New Member

State:
    indiana
    Looks Good!

Where you gonna mount your baseball bat for SkyCarp???

9. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Now we who know you know there is no way you did not wipe and clean the boat before it got put away because you want eveything perfect. DONT YOU

10. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Hooker, Havent seen ya on here in a while. I'm workin up the plans for dual Louisville Slugger holders. See ya.:big_smile:

11. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Well, everything usually starts out as close to it as I can get it, then goes to hell from there. No Sean, all she got was a hose down when we got home to knock off some off the mud, bigger chunks of bait and blood. Damn, I figured once ya got to see me use it hard you would let up a lil bit, I was even the first to go sloppin mud all over it. Cant a brother catch a break. That nice rig of yours went home cleaner than mine,,,,,now,who's the pretty boy with the showboat?
    :lol:

12. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't let hawg get to you Bear. He's just jealous of your rig.:roll_eyes: You know Shep if he can't buy it off the shelf he ain't gonna have it.:big_smile:
    Keep up the professional work.

Wooly

13. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Wooly, I know what you mean about those uppity types from Clinton. I have to make what those guys go buy, and then listen to how expensive stuff is and how broke they are. LOL.:cool2:

14. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great boat! I just bought a Lowe (1648 I think) it don't have the mod v front. You got some real good ideas for that craft. It looks like you do this for a living! I'm looking to do a real similar thing with my front deck. Here's a few pics.

15. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Barry, you've got an eye (and hand) for detail and craftsmanship and I think you did an amazing job. I can only hope to do 1/2 as good as that! Reps earned.

16. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    By the time you are done you will have a rig that all your buddies will envy. Great work.

17. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Man, this thing was buried way in the back. My bad for not keeping it updated. I got some pics comin soon, I promise. I am having some camera problems that are about to be solved.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Barry looking forward to the pics and the final look. Lowes are a great boat.Thanks.

19. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Brought this back up for Arkrivercatman to find.

20. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks!Looks Good! I like the switch panel.I bet it makes things alot easier. Mine probably wont be as nice but atleast i have some ideas now.