My Local Gun Range

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by mazepa, Apr 6, 2009.

1. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was supposed to go shooting today. It is ladies day at my range and women shoot free on Mondays. But, this happened yesterday.

"A mother shot and killed her son, and then herself, inside a Casselberry Gun Range Sunday afternoon, according to police. When Casselberry police arrived at the Shoot Straight Gun Range on South U.S. Highway 17-92 just after 4:00pm, they found two people had been shot in an apparent murder-suicide

Eyewitnesses said the pair was acting strangely and then the woman ran out of the room to get more ammunition. When she returned, eyewitnesses said, she shot her son and then turned the gun on herself.

Police are trying to figure out what prompted Marie Moore to suddenly shoot her son in the head and then herself. They do not know the motive for the shooting, but said Marie Moore has a history of mental illness."
    From http://www.wftv.com/news/19100943/detail.html

Crazy huh. :crazy:
    So I guess once they clean up the place it should be pretty safe. I mean statistically, what would be the odds that someone would shoot someone else there again????

2. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Its a crazy world we live in now a days. I have heard of that sort of thing happening more and more at shooting ranges throughout the country.

3. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    It is sad to see what the world is coming to. With the state of the economy and job lose. You never really know what a person may do in the world today.

4. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    It is very sad, and nobody will ever know what was going through her mind, but these are the kind of things that are giving anti's their ammunition, we'll be lucky if our grandkids get to see a gun, much less own one,........ sad, sad sad.:sad2:

5. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Just more ammo for Mr. O to try to take all our rights.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    We had two nut burgers shoot and kill a preacher at a local range here.

Robbery was the motive. And these were two Iraq vets. Ya just never know now-a-days.

7. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    That's horrible.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id say chances are slim to none that something like that would happen there again but these days you cant be to careful.When i got laid off there were quit a few laid off along with me,one guy said before he walked out he was going to come back and kill everybody,then someone else called and said they was going to shoot the place up so they have been having cops sit there all day.With times as hard as they are you dont mess with peoples lively hood they will snap and kill you.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Prayers to the families involved, but all more the reason for myself to carry, to protect myself. 2nd amendment.

10. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    This a.m. on the news they said that the woman had been Baker Acted previously. In Florida thats when someone, usually PD a Dr. or family member, has you committed to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation. No big suprise that news. But what bothered me is that they said she had been previously banned from the range :confused2:

If someone is doing something stupid enough to get banned from the range why would you ever let them back in????

""Well lets see, it has been a year since we banned you, maybe you've gotten smarter/saner since then, ...sure come on back in."" :crazy::crazy::crazy:

-Yeah it has been getting crazy around here. Hopefully my CCW Permit will show up sometime this year. There is such a backlog at the Permit office that it has been taking 5-6 months to get them.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I feel awful for the family and all the folks at the range.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well, one of the questions on ATF form 4473 is- have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective? if this lady was, she wasn't in legal posession of a firearm in the first place. this won't give the anti's any more ammo, just more of an example that our firearms laws are not being enforced. but they don't care about facts, they just make up their own...

13. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The only way to get a law passed is to prove it is needed, the only way to get a law made stricter is to prove the previous version does not work. What is the best way to make a law not work? To not enforce them then it looks like it is not working and they can get more and stricter laws passed.
    The Clinton administration passed more gun laws than the 3 previous presidents did if you added them all together. The Clinton administration also procescuted less federal firearms violations than any president in the last 50 years!

14. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yeah, the story is still in the news every other day. The father of the boy has filed suit against the gun range. It is pretty sad. He seems devastated.

The big deal on the news is that she rented the gun from the range. The longer it stays in the news the more I am worried that a lawmaker will want to take it up as a cause. I can see a push for a ban on gun rentals coming if that happens. Instead of, maybe, when someone rents a gun just call FL Dept of Law Enforcement and getting an OK. I bought a gun from that range and because there was a trade in there is no wait. They just made a phone call and got an OK in a couple of minutes. I don't think that would be such a big deal. And it would keep people off the range who are not even legally OK to buy a gun, like thugs and crazy people.

15. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    A young man, age 26, who was a patron at the range is dead. They are not realeasing info on what happened yet.

I don't think I will be goin back there again. I think I will join my local outdoor range.

It is sad that this happened for many reasons.

But, I am really worried about what the politicans will do.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive always been leary of gun ranges, never even been to an indoor. The outdoor range I use to belong to had a suicide a few years ago. It made me a little nervous being around so many people I dont know with guns. After my 5th trip or so out there it wasnt worth it anymore. Idiots spraying up others targets with an AK than are surprised when I say something? Range officer, what a joke. Felt like I was going pay lake fishing half the time at my range. Luckily I have access to enough land I can shoot what I want when I want.